Throat stretching/ I'm having that done for the first time

I am getting my throat streched for the first time on Thursday and not really sure what to expect. i would be grateful for any one that has gone through the strech and could let me know ho thankyou for your time and i wish health and happiness to you allw it goes down.

19 replies. Join the discussion

hi charl,

i just had mine done this past thursday, i've had it done once before a couple years ago, no problem with the procedure, but just alittle sore this time, my reflux is really bad, having a hard time, i've tried so many medicines.the doc also found a ulcer on my esophgus. i wish you well in your procedure, i will be thinking of you.

lots of love,
barb

Thankyou so much you have given me a reason not to be so scared barb. I am at the moment so bombarded with the doctors that they each have input but they all differ in the best way to treat me, and i become more frustrated with them all. And ithankyou for your support. And i hope this message finds you in good health

Hi,

I have had my esophagus dilated/ stretched 8 times since 2004. It sometimes feels a little sore, but only for a day or two. I never remember anything from the procedure, the medication my doc uses gives me temporary amnesia(versed, demerol)
Don't be worried you will do great its a very quick procedure.
Post how you did.
Many blessings,
Diane

I was having my throat stretched every three months for about 5 years.( I am currently in what I like to call remission from scleroderma) The procedure is about a 10 to 15 minute amount of time. I never had any problems with the stretching, the docs will use a really good seditive. You might be able to see them or think you can but you see nothing and feel nothing. I never had a sore throat after the procedure and you will notice a great difference in your swallowing ability. I usually came home and slept for a few hours from the valuim and demerol they use. The worst part about the whole thing is a spray they use on the back of your throat...it taste horrible, other than that it's a breeze. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks guys you have all made me feel so much better, i hope this finds you in good health and good mindset x

I had it done a few months ago and I can swallow anything now without pain or wanting to throw up. It did not hurt at all. The worst part for me is getting the IV started for the anestesia.

Hi am thinking about it also, sometimes food and medication get stuck. Let me know how you feel after your procedure.

Babs

babs67 i will let you know as soon as i can, i am having the same prob with swallowing. i hope this finds you well

to you all i thankyou for your support and reassurances

I had my esophagus stretched about a year ago. I began to have increasing difficulty swallowing. So far it has not returned. I was told I would probably have to have this done periodically. I have to eat smaller amounts but that's easy enough. Other than that no side effects. Should be a breeze...

Hi all,
Yet another treat to look forward to in the future throat stretching. so far my throat is manageable I hope it stays that way???? Best wishes.

Got it done today can already swallow better already but it hurts like heck they also took some biopsies. S thankyou all for your help and it really wasn't that bad. health and happiness to you all

Wishing you all so much luck...God Bless everyone of you....
Stay positive .....!!!!!

this is absolutely what I love about this website! So many people sharing info to help alleviate some stress or apprehension in our lives. We have enough to deal with on a day to day basis just to live let alone when its time for our doctor appointments or procedures or test results that we don't understand...you all are angels on earth! I'm having trouble swallowing and I am for sure going to get this done as I was afraid at first but now I feel so much better about it! Wellness, good days and blessings to you all!

This is an amazing site and it is so true that talking to others that are going through it are more than willing to help. I know that doctors read from text and give a lot of clinical, but because they themselves do not understand nor have the condition, so it helps knowing others are going through the same and i thankyou for support

I feel like i have the worst sore throat, but it was worth it. good health and happiness i will help in any way i can

I just had my throat stretched for the first time this past Wednesday (8/18). Procedure went well.....some hoarseness still...no pain.....abit swollen..........Charlyaus,Glad your procedure went well. They also did a biopsy with mine, but won't know results for two weeks. I would definitely recommend this procedure. My doctor wanted me to have it done about 4 weeks ago, but I was afraid and said that I wanted to wait. Then on Aug. 2 I had a choking episode while I was out and it took 2 different people to perform Heimlich on me...the first one was unsuccessful, but the 2nd person was a professional and had done it before. It was scary and I now know that I should have listened to my doctor on this one!!

Hi Charlie,
I've had mine dilated every 3 months for 20 years. I get a great sleep, wake up, then go to breakfast :) No pain at all..Good luck !

Hi all, I had this procedure done last year when they did a colonoscopy and Upper GI. I had no idea they were going to have to do it, so I didn't have time to feel scared.

I felt fine afterward and my throat felt SOOOO much better! I stopped choking on my vitamins and food as soon as it was done. I haven't had any trouble in the past year, but I do notice that I still get hoarse if I am tired (not sure if that is related at all ;-)

blessings!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders