Tendon Problems

I am currently experiencing tendon problems in my hands and feet. Also, along with the tendon problems, I have some numbness in my feet (along the side of my foot and also my toes). No one seems to know why and I was wondering if this is just part of our disease and if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.
Thank you.

Mollie

12 replies. Join the discussion

yes i too have tendon pains
i am always stretching my arms and legs
i sometimes get a charly horse in my toes if i move them a certain way
so i would say , yes , part of the package
i have systemic
so i have noticed that what bothers me one day , moves somewhere else the next few days
like my hip will hurt, and then my shoulder will hurt
i usually take aspirin or alleve
other than that, i do not know what to do
i am going to see Dr. Metzger in Pittsburgh next month
i have 3 things on my list
1. photopheresis
2. antibiotic therapy
3. cellcept
i have read about these and they seem to have positive results
i will post when i get back
t

I just read about the photopheresis. That sounds interesting. You'll have to post in here if you do that and the results. I am newly diagnosed, but I think I have been fighting this for 4-5 years. Also, please post if you do the antibiotic therapy. I am highly allergic to penicillin and any form of it, so I would be interested to know what drugs would be used for that therapy.

Thanks,
Janelle

I HEAR IT IS MINOCIN FROM THE ETHROMYCIN FAMILY, IF I SPELLED THAT RIGHT

Sounds like you have neuropathy. I have it in both feet and in one hand. I've had it for years and it was in trying to find out why I had neuropathy that I was diagnosed with scleroderma. Apparently, had that for much longer than the neuropathy as I have found out reading other people's symptoms. Some symptoms go back to the late 60's.

I had 2 tendon friction rubs on the tops of my hands at the middle finger knuckle in the first couple years. I had a very sweet boyfriend that would massage them daily for me and eventually they loosened up and the skin is no longer bound down there. I also have the neuropathy in my right foot; been wondering about it too. Could be the sclero or part of Sjogrens, which I also have symptoms of. It's always something new with this curse!!

My rheu put me on gabapentin which is generic for neurontin. It has helped me alot with the neuropathy.

Many thanks to everyone for their responses...I really appreciate it. I have been diagnosed with neuropathy but didn't realize that the tendon pain could also be related. I'm currently taking Lyrica and Cymbalta for the nerve pain but just started the Cymbalta. Nothing yet seems to help the tendon pain. Thinking about reflexology...has anyone had any experience with reflexology? Thank you again.
Mollie

Tendonitis, Carpal-tunnel like symptoms, and neuropathy can be symptoms of thyroid problems. I experienced cramping and tendonitis in my hands and neuropathy in my feet shortly after stopping (very briefly!) the T3 supplement I had been taking. I have Hashimoto's and both my PCP & Rheumy didn't think I needed treatment... Thank goodness for a ND who looks beyond TSH, which in my case is not a true reflection of my thyroid status.

Hi Lima10
Last Summer, my feet hurt so badly that I couldn't walk on them without excrusating pain. I went to see my primary doc. cause the tendons were like really tight ropes in my feet. You could feel them very easily when they are like this. My primary said I had bi-lateral tendonitis and to just stay off my feet for a few days to let them calm down. Lucky for me I was seeing my Rheumy that week, by that short amount of time, my tendons in my neck started doing the same thing. She asked what my primary said I told her and she more less got very aggitated and said the tendons do not just flare like that, we have to find the reason why they are doing this. She gave me x-rays for my feet and my neck. I went down to x-ray in the same dept. and got the x-rays done. I went back to the room to wait for her, she came in and threw the x-rays on the viewing screen and pointed out little white spots all over my feet and my neck, it was bone spurs, my Rheumy is aces in my book. Anyway it comes and goes and it's something I haveto deal with. My pain meds take the edge off, thanks God! Be Blessed Suzyqz

Thank you again for the responses. I'm going to ask my endocrinologist and neurologist about the T3 and possible bone spurs. Thank you again. Mollie

Some of us with scleroderma have more involvement of the tendons than the skin. Tendon thickening and tightening have been the major part of my disease for 6 years. Read my journal, which you can find by going to my profile.
Barb

Barb...thank you so much for your reply. My feet have become a major issue for me at the moment and I appreciate the opportunity to read your journal. I also have had the sensation that I have no padding on the bottoms of my feet lately when I walk around with just socks on. Have you experienced anything similar. Thank you again.
-Mollie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders