stress and sclero

Is there any documentation saying that scleroderma can be brought on by stress?

14 replies. Join the discussion

There is documentation that scleroderma increases the symptoms.

What I mean is can stress cause you to get scleroderma and is there documentation on this anywhere. maybe daisydo would know.

What I was told is that we are predisposed to it. And that stress or trama to the body can trigure it. I believe mine was trigured by giving birth to my third child, and going through a nasty divorce.

I truly believe that stress brought my condition on. From what I have read so far, it seems medical professionals are trying to make the link between genetics and chemical exposure. I believe they should also bring stress into the mix.

I don't know if stress "brings on" the scleroderma but I know that it makes my symptoms worse. There probably could very well be a correlation.

G

Yes, there is a connection between stress and auto-immune disease. Please understand that "stress" takes MANY forms. Anything that throws you off balance physically, emotionally, and psychologically is a stressor. This isn't just with regard to negative events, like over-work, divorce, etc. Changes in our lives cause stress and our bodies deal with that by trying to get back into balance. This can be an exposure to a toxic substance, getting married, divorced, having a baby, starting a new job, moving, etc. There's a very intricate connection between the mind and the body. More studies are showing a link between disease and emotions. When you are dealing with many things at once, or one big overwhelming issue, it puts you into overdrive and leaves your defenses weaker. Think of it like trying to run a marathon while juggling chainsaws. You might be great at either, but trying to do both will do a lot of damage.

Wow. Just preceding the onset of my early symptoms I got married, my father had bilateral strokes at my wedding, we got orders to move to Germany, we got a compassionate delay because of my father's illness, I got pregnant, we bought a house, I had my child, and we were sent out of state instead of Germany, those orders came the day after my son was born. All within ten months time. And that is only part of it. The next two years weren't any better. There was a lot of stress.

Stress worsens the symptoms, which can make them more obvious to you. But since I was diagnosed at 4 years old, I highly doubt stress causes it.

From my experience I think it does. I have always had joint and muscle pain as long as I can remember. Just never took the time to see anyone about it. I thought everyone felt this way. Until had the summer of hell my nephew (which is like one of my children) starting having seizures at the age of 7 out of the blue and 2 months later my mom having pancreatic cancer and passing 54 days later. Shortly after that I started having severe chest pains and the raynauds started which started the testing with positive ana and ra. :( I have learned that I need to take the time for myself and I really try to handle situations differently.

Glad this is on a post,
What a Huge coincidence that so many people who have gone through so much stress,either over a prolonged period,or short whatever,
Have come down with Scleroderma.......Thinking for some time that my causes are a combination of.......Toxicity and Long term stressful
years of .....Rows,Fights,unhappiness,miscarriages,Bad Luck,injuries from partner,working all hours to sometimes exhaustion.....It is no wonder Body can't cope with all this......youth maybe can but an ageing body,like an engine starts to wear out....Things start to break down
as stress buids up,so the pressure increases untill ...BOOM...there you go...youv'e just got youself a serious condition.....And I might add...
It's not our fault,some may say self inflicted....I doubt that....I'ts something no one can foresee untill i'ts too late...
Casagrande

I believe it is brought on by stress.My daughter was diagnoised at 9 and we didn't know at the time that she was being molested by a neighbor when she was 5. And it didn't surface until she was in college.So yes I believe that is what caused hers.She is now 36 and having alot of health issues.But still fighting.....

I think you can find people with any disease who are made worse by stress. I don't believe there is any research that shows it is worse for scleroderma. Stress makes things worse for everyone.

Unfortunatly for me it was finances. Just making our bills when the ecomony crashed and all my credit card started to up the rates , sending me letters that because of the ecomony they had to increase the rates, so either close the account at the rate you are at or pay a higher rate, OMG ! I couldn't sleep and went behind on everything. I think I should find a GOOD lawyer and see if i have a case, pushing me over the edge. LOL

I also have to say I believe stress had something to do with all my autoimmune diseases. I was under extreme stress for the past ten years, only to get worst in the last five and I have always been the strong one, nothing got me, never sick, but then bang it all started to happen, started with hypothyroidism, then colitis, then developed an allergy to the sun and all the weird symptoms scleroderma causes, raynauds, and etc. I do believe someday they will find a connection between the two.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders