staying warm

At a recent physical with my regular dr, my raynauds was acting up really bad. Didn't help that I had to strip in a cold room!! He suggested that I go home and stay in for the winter. I am very fatigued after getting cold so I thought I would try it. Fatigue is much better, raynauds episodes are few, feel much better. It is not fun to stay in all the time but the payback has been awesome. Does anyone else suffer from fatigue after getting cool?

36 replies. Join the discussion

It's hard for me to pin when my fatique flairs up. I'm pretty much fatiqued all the time. I recommend that you get some silky long johns and wear them under your clothes. I started doing that last winter, and it really cut down on my Raynauds. Not only do you need to keep you hands warm, it really helps to keep your core warm. I also keep a space heater, no farther than two feet away from me. That way I don't have to keep the whole house warm. Good Luck

YES, YES, YES! It is crazy how tired I get upon rewarming. I literally cannot keep my eyes open. I have no control of when it happens either. I have gotten chilled at work and then my body will suddenly start to warm up on it's own or because I ate or drank something and then I can't stay awake. This goes on ALL day long and is EXHAUSTING!! By the end of the day I am completely drained.

I feel that this is vascular in nature and have been speaking to my rheumy about it to see who I can talk to in order to control it somehow. This only happens to me in the winter.

I was recently diagnosed with cold urticaria. They have put me on Zyrtec to keep the hives away and so far it seems to be working. Not sure what to do when my body goes through the rewarming process though. The raynaud's is being controlled (not completely but much better than last year) by Losartan and a full strength aspirin every day. Just wish they could figure out a way to control the constant changes in body temp. I go from freezing to bright red, on fire just from eating a snack or having a cup of coffee.

I try to do everything possible to reduce exposure to cold. Dress in layers, double gloves, hand warmers,etc. Why RA doctors keep their examine rooms so cold has always perplexed me. Keeping your core temp. warm is good advice. I also keep a portable floor heater right at my feet. Staying in for the winter is good advice for bears only. Unfortunately many of us have to go out in the cold every day.

I am over fatigued ALL the time and it is worse if I get cold...it's like I am using all my energy to get warm again. I have had raynaud's for over 30yrs and keeping your core warm is great advice. I also use hand and feet hot shots I buy at costco...they last up to 8 hrs and are a life saver as staying in the house all winter is just to depressing and I have places to go and people to see and things to do ...all to keep my sanity :0) Take care and stay warm...Kymmie

Totally agree with all the keep warm comments here. It is absolutely vital. And this dr you saw who said stay in all winter....that's ridiculous. We need to stay as active as possible and staying in for months is bound to cause depression. Please see a rheumatologist if you are not already. So the key is to prevent the Raynauds attacks. Overdress always. DO NOT drink caffeine! It is a vasoconstrictor that will increase the frequency of your attacks. I saw somebody say "while drinking coffee." Hopefully it's decaf. Stay warm!!

I have Raynauds too. The winter is hard. I'm freezing all the time. I turn my heater up to 80 when my husband isn't home. Don't stay in all winter you have to get out of the house or you will go crazy. Stay in if the temp goes lower than 25. Dress in layers. Get yourself a pair of battery operated socks or put two pair of socks on with feet warmers and aways wear good boots even when it isn't snowing. You will learn how to drive with mittens so start wearing mittens not gloves. Your fingers are together and help keep each other warm and put your thumbs in with your fingers if you have to when you're not driving. We do what we have to do to adjust and keep ourselves from getting worse or having the thaw pain. When you come home immediately put a change of clothes in the dryer or microwave and warm them up and make a cup of tea while waiting for your clothes to heat up. Get changed and comfy and do what you like with your favorite blanket. Don't forget the slippers, socks and foot warmers. And eat something really good you may just take a nice nap. Sounds good about now. You also have to talk to your doctor about taking medicine that helps circulate the blood in your blood vessels. I'm on 90 XL (time released) of Procardia. You may be on something already. Stay away from caffeine and hopefully you don't smoke. Nicoteine is really bad for you too. If you have family and friends who smoke don't go into the direct line of smoke either because that can hurt you. Hang in there. Better days are coming.

Look into an Infared Sauna, Ginko Biloba and Liquid Chloraphyl...These will help your circulation!

for the Reynauds, my doc said to take Ginko Biloba.. and it does help! the episodes are fewer and are less. also wearing a hat outside in the winter to keep warm all over.
use oven mitts to take things out of the freezer so you dont trigger it.
wrap the fingers in a warm washcloth til the Reynauds subsides.

My husband came home from work yesterday to find me on the couch....next to the wood stove...with a jacket, scarf and blanket with a hot bag. This man can strip down to his skivies and walk barefoot in the snow to the hot tub that is about 10 feet outside our sliding glass doors. I watch in envy!!!!!! The water is 105 but I don't know how to get from point A to point B ! I HAD to go out yesterday. Eventhough I warmed the car....had layer upon layer......I had a terrible attack. I AGREE ! Having an attack puts my whole body into a state of shock. I am not only exhausted beyond words but I end up having pain ALL OVER . Every joint is screeming. I lay on the couch and try not to move any part of my body.....not even a finger. I wouldn't wish this disease on my worst enemy but have to admit that I wish those around me could have just one day in my skin so they could understand.......but they can't and unfortunately don't. Who can blame them. I hate winter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH

Your right, no one knows how we feel because they haven't been there. I say this to my husband all the time that i wish he could experience it for 5 minutes then he would truely understand. All we think about is staying warm so we don't have all the symptoms that come with this awful disease. Keep warm! God Bless!

Systemic Scleraderma/Lupis here. I am cold, cold cold all the time. I use my hot water bottle and an electric heating lap blanket together when sitting. I dress in at least 3 layers including, hat, sweats and leg warmers. I think this is so funny but it works for me. When I go out in the cold weather in addition to coat, hat and scarf over hat and wrapped around my neck, I wear thermal underware.
I put hand warmers in my sheepskin gloves--though they tend to get too hot (then I put them in my pocket until needed).

Thanks so much, it is great to have someone understand. I do not smoke and try to avoid caffeine. I am interested in the gingko, going to ask rhumy about that and I am on procardia, just started it 2 months ago (only 5 mg). I go back to rhumy on the 18th, I hope he will increase the procardia. Thanks for all your support!! Not only do I have winter, I hate air conditioning turned too low in the summer!!

I take several supplements for my raynauds with my nitro glycerin cream and they are ginko-magnesium-fish oil. I think they really help. Much better than i use to be.

Also, you should have your iron checked for the fatique because a lot of us are anemic.
I also take Liquid Chlorophyl faithfully every day in my HOT teat. Stick to warm and hot beverages.
I just started taking Floravital for iron-B12 defficiency. Regular iron pills make you constipated and this
doesn't. It is in the Health Stores.
Mittens are better than gloves and keeping your core warm is essential. And I've said it before, gentle yoga helps
all aspects of this disease. Body, spirit and mind.

I cope with this by keeping my home's thermostat set to 74 year 'round. Even with that the temperature sometimes dips to 70 before the thermostat activates the heater. So I go around the house topped with a turtleneck AND a sweatshirt, and sometimes I put on my heavyweight glove liners. I slept in the gloveliners last night. When I do, I feel I sleep much better. And I ALWAYS sleep in my shearling sheepskin slippers. LOL.

I think it's super important to maintain a warm inner body core. So I have greatly limited my number of trips from the house in wintertime. I tend to stock up on 2 or even 3 weeks of groceries at a time, just so I won't have to go out in this cold.

Plus a lot of grocery stores take on-line orders and deliver to your house.

Funny. I have my heating pad on too. Even when my husband has the air blasting. He thinks I'm crazy. Sometimes I can't sleep with my Cpap machine because I have to breathe under my blanket. Cpap machine has vaporizer but can't breathe in the warm air I choke. Love the sun but can't go in it. Oh well. Do what we have to do.

I also drink hot tea around the clock. Caffeine free of course, but there's so many herbals out there that I think really help boost my energy. I drink it until I sweat basically. Lol. It really warms my body. Like Daisy, I keep my thermostat at 74 year round also. I just don't care anymore what people think when I grocery shop in mittens, and I wear wristies all day, and I look like the marshmallow man with all my layers. Keeping my fingers and toes is just too important to care!

ScaredofSclero, Your CPAP machine should have a heat dial for the humidifier. Just turn the heat down to where it's comfortable! I find that with my mask on I'm okay with my head out of the covers, just as long as I have on my gloves at night, and a sheet, comforter and blankets over the rest of me plus a warm memory foam mattress under me. The memory foam is warmer than other types of mattresses. Before this mattress, I had to have an electric mattress cover.

Hi, I am new today to this support forum, I am already very thankful for just being able to know other people are experiencing similar things. I also have cold intolerance and raynauds that has unfortunately really progressed this last year. It caught my attention that a couple people mentioned increased fatique/sleepiness after they have gotten cold. I have this happen quite a bit and sometimes wonder, "am I crazy?", why am I so tired. Sometimes I fall asleep for a few minutes, I can't help it. I'm curious if anyone has talked with their Dr about this extreme sleepiness following being cold and if they got any good understanding why this happens? I find wearing a scarf helps me alot. My rheumatologist recommended that and very good advice. I was recently put on procardia with unfortunately bad headaches every time I tried it. I'm going to look into ginko. Such great support here, so nice.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders