Spoon Therapy?

Will someone please tell me what spoon therapy is? I've seen it mentioned several times in the discussions. Thanks!

6 replies. Join the discussion

google "the spoon theory" (and plug in any chronic illness where it discusses lupus) its a unique way to explain some of how we have to function in our every day lives that others may not realize they take for granted.

Thanks so much. I just read it and it is so true.

Thanks for asking MargK. I had planned on searching for the spoon theory, but just hadn't gotten around to it. Definitely the way it is with chronic illness.

We are all spoonies!!!! hahaha There is a fabulous booklet that friends in Denver have written. It is called "But you look Good" Wayne started the "Invisible Disabilities Association" to help people living with chronic illness and pain. Sherri (his wife) was his inspriration. There website is www.InvisibleDisabilites.org, if you have time check it out. Very helpful and inspiring. I am on my 3rd order of the booklets. They have been an amazing tool for me to use to explain this Sclero-drama. Nobody seems to want to understand why I am no longer able to work, but can type and chat and laugh (now and then) plus look fairly the same. It is frustrating to say the least. Myself like many of you wonderful folks had to give up my job. My finances have always been my personal business as I'm sure yours are, however when the words started coming out that I just need to put my big girl panties on and get back to work....I had to blurt out, why would I want to give up and $85,000.00 a year job to live on 1000.00 a month disability, lose my house and health on top of it.....Really!!! Thanks for letting me vent sclero-brothers and sisters.....love, peace and patience.

Here is a link to the spoon theory

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-t heory-written-by-christine-miserandino/

The first time I've read the spoon theory. I can't begin to count how many times I've seen that "but you don't look sick" look on people's faces. A truly inspired piece of writing.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders