Split knuckle snd sclerodactylia

I have been babying my knuckles (little tight-stick round bandaids and plenty of various types of lotion) since I was diagnosed with SD and the doctor said my knuckle skin can and will split. On one knuckle, in particluIar, I can tell calcium is buiding up under the skin, the skin is thinning and the calcium blob has veins routed all around it, which is a good thing, I guess. When it finaly splits I am hoping those veins/arts will get busy and help it heal faster. Meanwhile, I know some of you guys are wound care experts. What can I expect in discharge, bleeding, pain? What should I use to cleanse the area (please don't say alcohol unless you mean something on the order of a 16 year old scotch, ingested only, haha). Do you suppose a good sized bandaid will do, or will I need to get fancy with a gauze pad and serious wound tape? I wonder if dabbing some vinegar on it would dissolve the calcium? Thnaks for any help you guys can give. I made the mistake of looking at medical pictures...whoaaa...big mistake.

Report post

9 replies. Join the discussion

Sorry, can't answer that one. I did have terrible finger ulcers at one time and the only way I got rid of them was by taking antibiotics. Ask your doctor what to do with your situation. You want to avoid any infection or ulceration as that really HURTS!

Report post

I have had 2 ulcers on my finger pads and they were very painful. They healed pretty fast, which is surprising because I was having very bad Reynauds attacks then. That was before I started taking Amlodipine. I think I said in another post, thank God I don't have too much trouble with my feet, except when they get numb. Summer will be here soon, yeah!

Report post

Keep your hands warm. Most knuckle ulcers are from trauma and I know it is easy to say and not do but try not to bump your fingers. Once they open keep them covered most of the time and use neosporin. I ended up in the hospital hooked to IV antibiotics a few years ago because I could not get them under control.
I also soak them in very, very warm water with an antibiotic soap to help.
Good luck,
Karen

Report post

I have ulcers on let me count- 8 knuckles right now. They are not draining thank goodness, but when they start to look the least bit infected my doc. gives me an antibiotic. While in Pullayup (I'm sure it's spelled wrong) Washington I developed a very painful ulcer on the finger and a very kind doc. at a walk-in clinic was a God sent to me. He gave me some pain med, antibiotic, and some silvadene cream. I found the cream helped. Actually I need to start using it again. I had forgotten about it.

Report post

I just had thumb surgery to clean out an absessed ulcer that went wrong. Plus there was a calcium deposit close to it so they took that out also .BOY did that hurt .I did everything that I was suposed to when it came to taking care of my ulcer I just woke up one morning and my thumb was huge .You never know what will happen day to day.It has been 3 weeks since my surgery and everthing is healing nicely ! So far !!

Report post

I am so sorry. I know how painful the ulcers can be. The worst pain I think I have ever had was a digital ulcer near my fingernail. Even pain pills would not relieve the pain. I do hope yours clears up really soon!

Report post

I do have one bad knuckle, but it doesn't hurt. When I had a toe ulcer the my rheumy treated as an emergency. Scared me a bit, but got well quickly. The ones in the nose I think hurt the most, but I guess are just painful and not dangerous. Good luck, will let you know if I come across anything that might help.

Report post

You can get them in the nose? I had no idea! My goodness this terrible disease has no mercy.

Report post

I just wanted to share with you some advice. Any open wound should be treated as such. It is best if you can allow your body to heal the way it's supposed to by providing the best conditions for a wound to heal. One way is to keep it covered and dry. I know with it being on your hand the keeping dry part will be a challenge. You will need to keep it covered to keep infection from the sight. Also don't add creams and such into the wound. If you keep it covered and dry, clean it with sterile water, and after the wound starts forming a scab you can add some dial ugly yellow soap to the water to clean it, in a short matter of time it will heal. A lot of people make mistakes by cleaning wounds with tap water that will only delay the healing process or make a wound not heal at all. I have seen this a lot especially in a diabetic. Tap water is nasty. You will even need to keep it covered when bathing. I would suggest you purchase some good sterile dressings, sterile water, and gloves. You can talk to your doctor b/c some of these items can be covered under insurance, and sterile water is expensive.

Some of the creams mentioned above are better for other injurys but even with those type of wounds they will delay healing as well. Your body can heal itself, you just have to give it the oppertunity to do it.

Report post

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders