Sores on my scalp that won't heal

I have crest scleroderma for 7 years & the last 2 months I started getting little sores on my scalp, now I have a head ful of them. They are very sore & get itchy & have tried 2 lots of antibotics but no change. Is there anyone else having this problem?

7 replies. Join the discussion

I have these and I also have some in my ears. I have had them twice and been to 2 dermatologist and they have no idea what they are. I have tried all the usual remedies but they do seem to come on when I am stressed and they did go away when I was on Methotrexate. So I assumed it was due to the Scleroderma.

Thanks akeleygirl, yes I have it in my one ear as well, doctor thinks it's golden staff infection, but not sure, have lumps behind my ear guess it's glands up.

are the sores right behind the ears? or more in the neck-ish area? cause i get sores right behind my ears sometimes, have had sores on my scalp too, never really though anything of it though. Do you/anyone else ever get lumps on random parts of the body? i have one on my wrist, not big, ortho said was nothing, have one on my upper arm, doc. said just alillte fatty toomer, and another one on my upper leg.. can scleroderma cause these? ..but let me know if you find anything that works on the scalp thing, i'm sure mine will come back at some point.
Hope

I had the exact same thing but only a few wee sores that are almost like water filled bubbles.That is dermatitis herpetiformis.If I cheat on my diet it comes back within 4-5 days

My 7 year old son was recently diagnosed with localized scleroderma on his scalp. He has tiny "scabs" on his scalp and our doctor told us that this is part of having scleroderma. The skin can not exfoliate as fast due to the overproduction of collagen. He is on a very small dose of methotrexate and this should help stop the scar tissue from forming and hence the scabs from forming. We should know within the next six weeks if the methotrexate is working. On average it take 3 months for the methotrexate to start working and he has been on it for 3 months. The next 6 weeks will tell us alot. From what I understand, sores can be a part of crest. Make sure you are with a rheumatologist who specializes in scleroderma. You may need to change your medication. Hang in there!

Thank you sooooo! much at least I know I'm not the only one. It is driving me insane to the point I was considering shaving my hair off as when I sweat it is worse & that is most of the time you are so helpful I will try to hang in there off to the docs later.

Have you considered Minocin? I have not had the scalp sores, but my friend did and she has been on Minocin for years with no more sores.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders