Sores in Nose

I recently came down with the flu and right after woke up with a huge fever blister on my bottom lip and sores in my nose. This has been going on for almost two weeks. I have been putting polysporin in my nose but it doesn't seem to be working. I even put abreva in my nose when I put it on my lip and the lip is healing but not my nose. Is or has anyone experienced this and if so what did you do to make it go away?

12 replies. Join the discussion

Fever blisters are herpes simplex (or it could possibly actually be herpes zoser - shingles), and antibiotics such as are in polysporin are totally ineffective against those viruses. The over the counter Abreva is not classified as an antiviral. Furthermore one shouldn't try to put oily or petrolatum products inside the nose because they can get inhaled and stay in the lungs forever. You may need an antiviral medication, and should see your doctor about it right away.

P.S. are you taking any immunosuppressants or predisone or other corticosteroids? Cellcept? Cytoxan? Methotrexate? If so these suppress the immune system making you more susceptible to outbreaks of flu, and herpes. You may need to discontinue them while you fight off the herpes. Talk to your doctor!

Thank you DaisyDo. Yes I am taking prednisone and Cellcept. I will call my internest and see what she suggest.

Yes, immunosuppressants are supposed to be contraindicated during viral infections - especially ones like herpes simplex or herpes zoster.

Also be very careful that you don't touch the sores and then, without thinking, rub your eyes for you could spread it to your eyes, and that could be extremely bad. So, always wash your hands very well after applying anything to the sores. Preferably use a cotton tipped swab instead of your fingers.

Yeh..Sounds like shingles...are the sores on ONE side of your face/lip/nostril? I thought I had a real bad cold/flu. Then I got the sores on the left side of my head, scalp, ear, temple area and down to my cheek. They were itchy and painful to touch! Shingles! Weird that there seems to be a huge outbreak recently in the general population ever since they started giving kids chicken pox vaccines! Hope you get relief soon, aweful!

Ps .. i got the valcyclovere l and it cleared it up quite quickly! ..plus the vicoden ..thnak God for that!

Lysine ( by mouth) also helps ...hugh doses at the first sign of an outbreak, then back off to more normal dose..also, Lysine in the tube on the sores help.
Hopesgmom

NEVER EVER EVER use steroid treatment creams on fever blisters as they can actually make it worse.

I had sores in my nose that drove me crazy. First it would be in one nostril, then another. They looked like a pimple and were very painful. My doctor had no clue. And then they just went away, after about 6 months, never to be heard from again (5 years so far.) Good luck!

I agree with hopesmom....Lysine works wonders on any kind of fever blisters/sores due to herpes. At the first sign of burning/tingling that a place may be forming, I take tablets orally, as she said in huge doses, then back off until the places are healed (or sometimes never even appear). I think the ointments help some, but not nearly as much as the oral doses. To my knowledge you can't overdose on Lysine, but research or ask healthcare professional, as so many of our meds might not work in the same way with large doses. That said, I've never experienced any side effects and have been using lysine this way for 15-20 years.

I've also had the "sores in the nose"...not related to Herpes, just part of good old Sclero! Have also had Herpes on the face in several places through the years. As the years go by, the Herpes gets less aggressive...strange. Can find nothing for the sores in the nose...mine did exactly like Possumpig's. Just went away after a year or two.
Hopesgmom

You can get 'cold sores' in your nose just like in your mouth. And they hurt just as bad. I caught a very mild cold during my trip to a conference, and the worst part was the cold sore right at the edge of my nostril! I was on the opposite side of the country from home, and all I had was Carmex to put on the inside of my nose. It soothed it, but an antiviral probably would have cleared it up a whole lot faster.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders