skin feels like it's crawling

Ok does anyone know if it's common with the Morphea/Scleroderma to have your skin constantly itch or feel like there are bugs crawling on you? Or should I look at other possiblilities? oh and also My skin on my arms and hands look like they are dehydrated all the time except when I put on lotions. They look like a dry creek bed. Is that common also Thanks again!!! :)

34 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Funnatic,
I think this is common. I had this experience in the beginning. My skin looked crackled and dry, like the dessert and then when I put on lotion it seemed to just sit on the surface - nothing penetrated.

I have similar symptoms, also with applied lotion just seeming to lay on the surface & not penetrate.

does your dry look also have a shiney appearance? Mine does. It's pretty wierd. I have found that Body butter seems to penetrate a little better than lotions. At least for me. But nothing seems to help that crawling feeling. UUUGGGGG!!!

HI,
Long before other symptoms started, I would get that Crawly feeling. Growing up, I just wouldn't be able to wear pants made of polyester. Hence stayed with pure cotton. Little bit of change, i can wear slacks made of 50/50. same thing, with blouses.
But bearable now.

I thought I was going crazy when the "skin crawling" started. I talked to my doc about it. It actually has a name - paresthesia. One of the meds I already take for fibro is supposed to help it. It doesn't seem like I have as many episodes. But it drives me crazy when I do.

I'm new to site and I have same itchy feeling between my legs I use neosporing it help for awhile hopefully. This will help this site helps I thought I was going crazy . With this itching we must unite stay strong

I had the skin crawling you described in the beginning with scleroderma. As I understand it, this is due to the increased activity of collagen production that causes this sensation as it affects the nerves in the area.

When my skin feels like it is crawling is when my potassium is low. Other than that I generally do not have that going on. Just the itching and dryness. I also am allergic to glycerin so using lotions makes it very hard for me. I have to do a lot of research before I can use something. May want to check with MD to see if your potassium is low.

Good luck

It's nice to know I'm not crazy. Does anyone know if this only happens with the morphea scleroderm or is it usually systemic scleroderma. also does this disease progress rapidly or slowly. I have soo many questions seems like I'm constantly asking them. thanks.

I have systemic sclero and yes itchy crawly is me. It is overactive immune system at work weather it is morphea or systemic. It lyes with the overproduction of collagen. I undergo and have for 4 months now uv light therapy. Let me tell you it saved me from going completely crazy. The light works slowly on the skin's receptive cells that tell the immune system to calm down. I am a success story with the skin. Unfortunately inside is another story. Ask ask ask all you want. That is why we're here.

funattic:

You asked about the skin having a shiny appearance. I have systemic sclerosis & yes, I have the shiny appearance, mostly on my hands. It started in March & has gradually but slowly increased. How fast the disease progresses seems to vary with each individual.

It may seem like you are constantly asking questions but where else are you going to find so many people willing to answer?

I even have itchy on my bottem I itch all the time what 2 do ? I'm brakeing skin need help

LOL!!! no kidding well when you find an answer to that let me know. I've been wondering about that problem myself. Just a little embarrassed to come out and say it. But well just suffice it to say. It's not always yeast infection. However in the most private areas I've found a cream called Calmoseptine. Sooths and helps. at least temporarly

Oh and Thanks for opening up that subject JG77

I've had the crawley feeling around my ulcerative lesions around my eyes (caused by SD). One doc told me is the breakdown of the tissue I was feeling. It definately is annoying. As far as the dry skin, have you been tested for Sjornes? that could be causing it,

I haven't been tested for anything but had a biopsy that determined Morphea. But I'm pretty disappointed in my Dr. Because none of them so far has wanted to do any other testing. I haven't even had the ANA blood work or any other blood work. But I intend on trying to get in to a Scleroderma center in late august or early September

hi dont go crazy ,skin feels like its crawling ,dry . go have u thyroid test done.afer thyroid treament my skin is smooth.try this

regards:school

its very common .try jelly use to milky cows soo far the best

My whole life I use to say I was allergic to water. My skin will itch so bad it burns and I leave bruises from the scratching. I have been diagnosed with Morphea. Six years ago when I found out about it the foundation gave me a number to a local woman were I live to talk to that was the first word out of her mouth. Does your skin itch do you feel as though bugs are crawling on you? For the first time in my life I did not feel like a freak. Point being you are not alone. I would like to friends request you if I have your permission.

I have limited Scleroderma,CREST, and have the crawly, itchy feeling all the time. I have learned to live with it, I try not to scratch, because if I ever start I can't stop. My Rhemy did check my liver to make sure there wasn't liver involment, he said the liver can make you itch also. My liver test came backk normal.
Rose

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders