Severe hand cramping

Good morning all, I am wondering if anyone has experienced severe hand cramping. I have been getting what I call a cramp in both my hands. It's like my thumb is trying to go over and live with my little finger. It starts pulling across the palm of my hand and is very painful. At the same time my three middle fingers become very rigid or sometimes bent and stuck there, I have to use my knees to hold them flattened until they decide to behave. Any thoughts on this? God bless

32 replies. Join the discussion

I have had this, but I have neuropathy.

You may want to have your electolytes checked....simple blood test. Google, carpodpedal spasm.

i occasionally get hand cramping also. Usually when I have kept my hand in the same position for a long time. like when i am crocheting.

I hold a fork or spoon, crochet needles anthing like that too long and my hands cramp up bad. Even my feet do that too just from stretching. I have tried bananas, vitiams, etc and nothing helps it but I am sure something does just dont know what.

Anggie: Oh my gosh! Hand cramping; YES; and it's really painful. Both hands are effected - I've tried massage now I'm on a new kick of drinking Tonic Water to see if it helps. Thought I was losing my mind or just a complainer. Even the palms of my hand (right one especially) can wake me up at night with the discomfort. Oh well; we'll all hang in there; until one of us stumbles upon a cure or, at least, relief. Kaye

Hi Aggie;
Try taking more magnesium,at least double the normal dosage.That often helps.A lot of people at Roadback have the same problem and there are lots of posts about that.Use the search button at the top of the page and type in muscle cramping or just plain old magnesium.You will find quite a bit of info

Thank you everyone. I was wondering if the cramping came with our territory. I will do the magnesium. God bless

Hi Aggie2,

I am in constant pain in both my hands, so much so that I just want to cry, they are both sooooo stiff and I wake up every night in pain. My Dr just put me on 10 mg Pregnazone(?) it takes a bit of the edge off but I need more, he says he thinks its due to joint swelling in my hands. I've been on it for only a few days now but have no significant relief yet... we my have to up the dose... i know that's not much help, but i wanted to let you know you are not alone...I am trying to set up an appt at the Scleroderma Center in SC to see if there is any more help out there, as well as looking for an actual Scleroderma Dr here in FL not just a Reumotologists for some help. Good luck god bless... We will Survive...

That was one of my first symptoms and it is also one of the first symptoms to return now if I stray (at all) from my anti-inflammatory diet. As long as I'm diligent with my diet all my hand joint pain and cramping is gone! Honestly, if my hands cramp at night I can say, "What did I eat today?" 100% of the time either sugar, dairy or wheat snuck into my diet. I usually read labels extremely carefully but with Easter lunches, church potlucks etc even things that look "safe" are not.... I have found that if I don't make it (or buy it) -- I don't eat it. I belive that one day I'll be well enough that I wont have to be so careful, but until then diet seems to be the answer for my healing. Blessings, Kim

Thanks Kim, I am in the same boat as you with the diet issue. I have celiac spru and if I get "contaminated" I with one of the glutens I get very tired, feel very ill and ache all over. Perhaps since the scleroderma is so active I have become even more sensitive to gluten. I hate the thought of eliminating sugars although I know I should. God bless

For a couple of years I have had my blood vessels break in my hands on a very regular basis. My fingers get really tight like a rubber band is around them cutting off the circulation and it is a relief when the vessel finally breaks. I've talked to my doctors about this for years. I don't know if it is related to the scleroderma. It started happening about a year before I was diagnosed.

I have the same type of cramping in my feet and lower legs (shins)...The only 2 things I can use are the tonic (with gin & lime sometimes) or a strong pain killer...these are terrible, and none of my Docs seem to care about them...they just brush it off....I already take the magnesium...but I will double my dose. The worst is when they happen as you are driving...

I would have your vit D level checked. I was really low, I am now on 50,000 units once a week. I used to get hand cramping in my right hand whenever I over used it, but not anymore. I have started the Cellcept treatment, because the scleroderma has attacked my lungs, fibrosis and hypertension. So far, I have no side effects from the cellcept and I am waiting to see if I can get Adcirca for my lung hypertension. It seems it is very expensive and I have a cap on my prescription drugs with my Ins. Co of $2000. I would use it up within 2 months. I am lucky to have great doctors who are trying everything to get what I need.
You may want to google Vitamin D and see if your symtoms are because you are low too.
I keep all in my prayers daily.
Nima

Dear NimaH, yes, the Vitamin D is an issue. I have doubled my daily dose along with more magnesium. If things don't improve I will have all my numbers tested. God bless

Yes, I have hand cramps in both hands. They are not as painful as the cramps I keep getting in my rib cage area. I'll try the magnesium and add to my vitamin D. Thanks for the info.

I have extremely itchy palms. Does anyone have this condition?

I also get cramps in my hands, just like the thumbs, nothing seems to help, just relaxation. Also, someone mentioned rib cage pain, I get this like in my diaphragm area and also between my shoulder blades and my sternum, does anyone get this also.

I though my cramps were something other then Scleroderma symptoms. When I brought the fact that I have had cramps in my hands and feet as many as 28 times in one day to my Doctors, they couldn't tell me what it was from. Though I'm sorry to here you folks are have the similar cramps I am glad to here it's probably not some new disease.

I get severe cramping in both my hands and it terrifies me. I'm afraid they'll stay in that position. I bend them back into shape and sit on them or hold them between my knees until it stops. So far I haven't been able to determine what causes it. I'll try magnesium and vitamin D if it continues.

Colinh and Tsali77, I mentioned the cramping of the hands issue to Dr S today and he suggested this could be a low calcium issue. He suggested getting levels checked. I guess our bodies are all different and we each need to monitor them closely, it seems. God bless

I get severe hand cramps and occasional feet cramps as well.

For me, it has nothing do with any vitamin or mineral deficiency but entirely to do with the scleroderma tightness that has developed.

I went to an occupational therapist and she was able to follow the tightness all the way from my shoulder down my arm to my hands, and was not surprised at all that the tightness would result in hand cramping. She said that all of the various muscle, tendon, skin, etc, systems work together, so when there's tightness in one area, it leads to the other areas not working as well.

She gave me some hand exercises to try and keep them stretched out and limber. I still get the cramps, but I have tried to identify which activities led to the cramps and avoid that.

For example, using a can opener was terrible, so I bought an electric can opener. Or the safety caps they put on medications are too tight and require too much dexterity, so I make sure that my file says to use the non-safety caps, and I don't have issues opening those bottles. If I don't have to put tight stress on my hands or hold them in a certain position for a long time, then that helps from preventing the cramping in the first place.

Hope this helps!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders