red rash on eyelids

Has anybody ever had a red itchy rash on their eyelids?
My eyelids are red and they itch and feel irritated and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have no idea if it has anything to do with scleroderma or not. I just know it won't go away.Any input would be great.
Thanks

10 replies. Join the discussion

A red rash on the eyelids is one symptom of Dematomyositis. I have Dematomyositis (along with the scleroderma) so I am quite familiar with the symptoms. I am NOT saying that you have Dematomyositis.

Of course, it would be best to see your doctor about this.

What exactly is that? I have a dermatologist appt. At the end of the month.

I had that for a few years, and it turns out I am "sensitive" to the red pigment in ANY makeup, food, etc. I avoid the red and pink dye in food and anything I put on my face. I gave up on eye makeup just so I wouldn't get that horrible red, itchy, puffy pain on my eyelids. Now, I figured this all out on my own because the drs. I mentioned it to said "it has to do with the scleroderma" which means they don't know and don't know how to find out and it's not worth their time. Of course, maybe I did have another condition going on... So much is trial and error unless you have a great dr. Someone posted somewhere here on Inspire that we are our best and ONLY advocate! Since I have joined Inspire this July I have gotten SO much inspiration and hope and advice! Thanks to EVERYONE who posts here, even if you think no one is listening.

Hi, I have suffered with this itchy rash on my eye lids for a few years, I was told it is because I am photosensitive (allergic to the sun). I was given a cream to apply to the eye lids and it really does help. I got the first prescription from my pcp and then the second one ( a different one) from my dermatolgist. They both have helped a lot. Do you find that you have a rash, or itch after being out in the sun in other areas of the body? I would go to a doctor and get a prescription for this because it really can drive a person nuts. Good luck to you.

Susie

"What exactly is that? " I guess you mean Dematomyositis? That is another autoimmune disease that presents with rashes on different parts of the body, including around the eyes, but a very specific type of rash. Dematomyositis is inflammation of the muscles with skin rashes. The proximal muscles of the arms & legs can become very weak. Fatigue & malaise are common. Like scleroderma, Dematomyositis can also affect the esophagus. Lab tests reveal specific elevated enzymes. It's usually diagnosed by a rheumy so a dermatologist may not think of it.

I have that problem, my Dr. gave me a steroid cream and I use J&J baby soap to wash eye lids. If I go a few weeks w/out using cream, they will flare up really red and itchy (just my eye lids). Best regards, MB

Is the itchy red eyelids relayed to the scleroderma? My only symptoms are a stiffness on the left side of my neck that comes and goes, my hands are dry, and now the eyelids. My Ana was positive and scl 70 positive. I also have a really itchy patch of skin. My doctor told me I do not have scleroderma and blood work does not mean anything. I did not have the red eyelid rash when I saw him though. What does anyone think? Am I over analyzing?

I had a condition several years back(before scleroderma) where I had the same symptoms and I went to an optomolagist(eye dr) and he diagnosed me with blepharitis and gave me a cream also and told me to do eye washes. I believe it was an infection of the hair follicles of the eyelashes which could've been caused by reusing eyemakeup applicators, old makeup, to name a couple possible causes. It tends to be chronic so it can flare up.

there are also itty bitty critters that live among the eyelashes of a lot of us. invisible to the naked eye - bad joke i know - we go about our business with this sneaky little parasite along for the ride. i make a special effort to wash makeup off every night to discourage these bugs but am also careful not to scrub to hard and dry out eyes. i dont know if they cause a rash but wouldnt be surprised.

hi everyone, just went to my regular doc today with the rash i have on the side of my nose, and it is spreading down around and under my eye. he said it look's like shingles, but now i'm wondering if it is what some of you were talking about, the dematomyositis. what are the symtom's for this condition? he gave me steriod cream and said if it didn't take care of it , he would give me something else. what do you all think? weepy.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders