raynaud's/scleroderma and early menopause???

has anyone with this combination experienced early signs of menopause or been told there is a possibilty a woman could go thru premenopause earlier than other women? thanks:)

19 replies. Join the discussion

I have to laugh about my own experience with this issue. In my case, I developed Raynauds at the same time I began to go through menopause. Mind you, I did the menopause thing at about the usual time for women ... the latter half of my 40s. But because Raynauds appeared at the same time, I never even mentioned it to a doctor. I simply assumed it was a normal part of menopause!

I think it was about a year after Raynauds showed up that I happened to mention it one day at an appointment with my gynecologist. She gave me the strangest look and immediately said, "Uh, no ... your frozen fingers have nothing to do with menopause ... you have Raynauds." Come to find out, her nurse at the office had scleroderma, believe it or not. So the gynecologist was completely familiar with the symptoms! That's why I have to chuckle. I bet there aren't many sclero patients who get diagnosed by their gynecologist!!

Pat

I went through menopause in my late 30's with no explanations, other than well, you must just have early menopause. My Raynaud's has been with me for a very long time before that, so I'm not sure the two are connected or not

I have Systemic Scleroderma and Raynauds is a secondary condition to it.
Yes I too went through peri- menopause then early menopause (45).

I was told it is probably because of Auto-immune disease, and Chronic Anemia.

My Raynauds stared in my teens-I have had infertility my whole marriage and I come from a very fertile family who all seem to get pregnant just looking at each other-My mother had 8 pregnancies-2 while she was on birth control. Then i started going through perimenopause early. I am 43 now and I get my period once or twice a year for about the last 5 years. none of that part of my system has every worked right for me. lol

That is interesting because I started Raynaud's at around 30 and went into Menopause early 40's. Don't know if there is a connection with Scleroderma. I was only diagnosed a year ago with CREST as aside from Rayauds and Calcinois my symptoms are mild. That would be interesting if there is a connection and no one has connected the dots.

I had my raynalds for about 4 or 5 yrs then i got endometrosis witch made me go into early menopose at about 39, and i was diagnosed with sleroderma at age 50 and so it sounds like they all come together.

Went through early menopause in my late 30's, presumably because of the treatments for systemic scleroderma (i.e. IV cytoxan, high dose, and other meds)

thanks so much for all the replies, seems like it is a possibilty early menopause could happen, anything is possible, afterall we all have some form of this crazy disease, never suprises me anymore on little things that pop up overnite

yes I think early menopause was from SSc or meds for it.

Menopause at 44 for me, all my sisters including my twin all have regular periods in their 50's, so I definately blame my illness. Raynaud's really progressing now, 6 years later. Have never been able to tolerate the cold for years, but in the last year I have constant tingling in feet and hands and color changes happening. Hugs, xo

Got Raynaud's around 40, menopause around 50, which would be normal based on my genetics and environmental factors - so no link here.

I am 47 now and Raynauds started for me about 10 years ago along with swelling hands and skin darkening all over ( although no dx at that time). Then 4 years ago had hysterectomy due to fibroid tumers and hemoraging...and surgeon said "I have never seen anything like it.. they were hard as cement and almost impossible to cut through"... I am now thinking ...hmmmm sclero??????.. as I was dx with scleroderma in June of this year....diffuse vs. limited is still in question as I have lab work indicating diffuse however all signs of CREST also.

I have had diffuse scleroderma for 19 years and 2 years ago, when I was 44 I went into menopause. I think there is a link there. My mom had her period well into her fifties.

I definitely think there is a link; my question is; Does perimenopause exacerbate the scleroderma onset/symptoms? I am 55, was diagnosed this past January with CREST; and just last month with a corrected "Limited Cutaneous Systemic Scleroderma" diagnosis. But I am going through perimenopause (I actually skipped a period this month for the first time)... the 'change' has been coming for the past couple of years, and 3 years ago the Raynaud's developed. This year some skin issues.

In my late 40's/early 50's I went through menopause. However, at 67, I am still getting many hot flashes! Have a fan pointed at me ready to turn on in the living room and one on me all night in the bedroom. Also still get migraines (have had them since I was in high school). I really had high hopes that both would disappear by this age. No one has ever said anything about either being related to scleroderma. So far, I take no medication for the scleroderma.

My first rheumatologist told me that autoimmune disease can shorten your reproductive lives at either or both ends. I didn't hit puberty until about age 17 and started into menopause at about age 41 or 42. Incidentally he also said it can cause the hair to go prematurely gray, and I have far more gray than any of my friends who are my age. And they don't dye their hair.

I'm sure we have discussed this before. For more discussion about it, use the "Search" tool at the upper right of this page. You'll find lots more discussion about it.

My symptoms started in March '07, itching itching and more itching at night, Nothing helped except to hold my hands under hot water,
would relieve for a while....... I was diagnosed in Jan 09 with Raynauds and Scleroderma. I was 56 and still cycling (menses)
In May 09 My Rheum FINALLY gave me prednisone 5 mg and in June he added methotrexate. In July I didn't have a period and have not since (Halleluhah) but I started that July sweating like crazy. All day and all night and chills! Sweating one minute, chills the next
I didn't know which was worse. I hate the chills worse , So one of the other threw me into menopause

I never dreamed that this too could be a part of scleroderma! I stopped having regular periods in my early 30s and my gyno could not tell me why. Luckily I did not suffer extreme hot flashes or other symptoms and did not really miss having a period.

I was diagnosed with Raynaud's in my early 20s, schleroderma & Sjogrens about 10 years ago. I'm now 60.

Since I found this discussion board I have been surprised how many of my symptoms over the years could possibly be related to schleroderma. I look forward to checking out the new postings every day!

My scleroderma symptoms started right after menopause. I think they have something to do with each other, but don't know which is the chicken and which is the egg.

3dogmama, I think I will be one of those people who never get rid of the hot flashes and night sweats. The only thing that helps a little is if I eat a handful of soy nuts every day. If I do that the episodes are less frequent and don't last as long. I also use melatonin supplements to help me fall asleep and that helps at least half the time.
I have had nights where I lie awake for 1 or 2 hours straight with sweat pouring off me as if I have just finished running 5 miles. Fans don't help me because it seems the more my body fights to adjust to different temperatures, the worse it is (sweating to freezing, freezing to sweating).
The rheumys tell you it has nothing to do with scleroderma - it's just menopause. Well, this is more than a "'pause" in my opinion. My gyn says there are some women for which this never goes away.
So, I'll be thinkin' of you at 3 a.m.
Cheers.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders