Racing Heart rate.

Hi thier, can anyone tell me if they get the same symptoms of this racing heart beat, I can be sitting down at night and it goes up around 120 bpm, normally its around 92 at rest, does anyone else have this, I,m on sldenafil @ bosentan and wondered if anyone has had any further meds for this racing heart, I quess its due to the pah, but its quite frightening sometimes, and i dont know what to do about it really.
thankyou for reading. mel

15 replies. Join the discussion

I have it too. They call it 'TachiCardia', usually it is described as a one off symptom, something you just get once in a while, yet I have it permanently! I have been given no treatments for it and have not even had it discussed or verbally diagnosed! I read it on my medical records and on recent medical reports! And when I was in hospital both times recently, I have felt it and seen it for myself on the monitors!

I'm sorry I have no advice for you but I can empathise as it's not very pleasant at all is it! Please let me know if you learn anything more about it? as I would also like to know a lot more myself!

Good luck and best wishes

I also have tachicardia. I am on a medicine called Atenelol for it, as well I have a pacemaker/defibulator which paces my heartbeat and if it goes too high the defibulator kicks in.

You need to see a cardiologist... and not just any, an EP Cardiologist. (electro physiology) Tachycardia, whether it be ventricular or atrial is nothing to mess around with. My ventricular VT attacks started late 2009. Wound up be solved with medications and an implanted defibrillator. That worked for a year and a half till I started going into VT on a regular basis and the defib having to shock me out of it. Then it led to VT storms where the defib would do it's thing and not be able to restore sinus rythym. So my EP cardiologist, one of the best, performed some ablations inside the heart to correct the symmetry of the electrical field inside the heart. He also changed out the defib for a full time pacemaker (with defib) All has been good for a year now with no shocks. If you get on this early enough, you can possibly avoid some of what I've been through. Stay hydrated! Lack of electrolytes is something the heart does not like.

I had ablations as well and that has solved my tachycardia, but I am on Cardizem and Toprol for Cardiomyopathy and microvascular disease from the Scleroderma. I have something called a left bundle branch block which causes left ventricular disfunction and may eventually need a pacemaker/defibrillator. You need to see a cardiologist and EP (Electrophysiologist) to see what is causing your tachycardia.

My daughter and I both have tachycardia. My daughter had surgery and has been great since. I decided to try to control mine without surgery. Certain things can bring on attacks. Stress, of course, caffeine, alcohol, nitrates are my big triggers. I stay away from these as much as possible and as long as I do that I have no attacks or maybe once a year a mild attack. Whether these things stop your attacks or not, people with tachycardia should avoid these triggers.

Yes I have experienced that as well and was just placed on metoprol 25mg cut in half taking one-half tablet twice daily. It really does work well my heart rate is doing good now been on this med for about 2 weeks

Yes, I've had a racing heart rate of 264. It's so fast, no one will believe me. They've theorized it's due to a short circuit in my heart or pulmonary hypertension, but no one is quite sure. One doctor told me to blow hard while holding my nose when it first starts. As long as I catch it early enough, that sometimes works.

Other than that, I usually just have to wait it out. Very painful, though.

Wish you the best.

Mopit

POTs Syndrome? I had some of those symptoms when my Sclero was at it's worst it made my heart rate speed up like crazy and all I was doing was sitting :/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postural_orthostatic_tachycardia_syndrome

Wow, thankyou all so very much for your replys to this, and I will surely take all the advise and meds in mind. Hopefully the outcome will be good and will probably help others with this same thing, like sillysally, I,m sure you also will find help from these replys. I will keep you posted of the outcome, and its good to know we have a support forum like this, does help with those days when the frights get you abit, so thankyou so very much and all the best to all of you.

I have had this too. Mine is SVT-Super Ventricular Tachycardia. The times it has gone on for more than 3 hours, I have had a drug to stop my heart. It only stops for 30 seconds, but it seems longer and you feel like you are dying. Horrible feeling. I am on 360 Mg. of Cardizem to help keep it from happening and to lower my blood pressure, but it does not always work. The doctors do not know why it happens to me and my pulmonary function tests have shown no pulmonary hypertension.

I have the fast heart beat also! It frighten me so bad, I had to call the EMS. They came and took me to the hospital. They checked me out, but weren't able to find anything, so they let me go home. I researched some of my meds, such as hydrocondone with vicodin in it and found out it can speed up your heart beat. So I stopped taking it. Since then I haven't had that happen again, but I still have some palpitations just for a few seconds. I don't know if the doctors understand what is going on, so I do my own research! So if anyone knows anything else about this problem, please let me know, otherwise we have to be our own doctors and search, communicate more with each other to see what we all know about this problem and what works for each of us! God is my constant source to go to for what to do to help myself! God be with all of us!!!! Hang in there!!!!

Thank you Spook, I would really appreciate reading more about how scleroderma affects the heart. There are many, many questions I have about this disease. The doctors I have don't seem to have very much information. I've gone to John's Hopkins Scleroderma Clinic in Baltimore and still did not come away with anymore information than I had before. But I'am not going to stop doing my research on how to control all the weird symptons this illness causes. There's answers out there, we just have to keep searching and not give up!!!! Again thanks, will look for your post!

I too have had SVT Tachycardia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachycardia for many years. I am able to control it with Diltiazam 120mg.

I hope that you have regular lab work done and that they check your Comprehensive Chem Panel.

When ever my Potassium is LOW or my Sodium is HIGH, it induces Arrhythmia.

I hope you have a Cardiologist. There is hope at getting this under control.

God Bless

does tachycardia feel like you are skipping heart beats and feeling like
someone is massaging your heart. that has been
going on the whole day with me. and i do
not like it at all.
thanks washburn

I own a cardiology textbook, called "Hurst's The Heart", published by MacGraw Hill. Mine is the 11th edition, published in 2004, but on books4docs.com is the 13th edition, in a 3-part pdf file. I haven't tried to download this, as my old computer doesn't have enough memory. My 11th edition has an entire chapter on connective tissue diseases and the heart. The book is several inches thick, and full of chart, diagrams, and pictures. Answers alot of questions, or at least did for me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders