problem with food stuck in my mouth.

Hate to sound gross but does anyone have a problem with the food getting stuck between there teeth and gums. I have to brush every time i eat anything , I am worried about decay.. what is this from. UGG!

23 replies. Join the discussion

It sounds like it could be from Sjogren's. Have you been diagnosed with that? It often comes along with scleroderma. People who are not producing enough moisture in the mucus membranes can have serious problems with their teeth and gums. If you don't have enough saliva, you can't wash the food out of your mouth or chew food as well as you should. It contributes to tooth decay and gum disease. My suggestion would be to see your dentist (and find one who is knowledgeable about Sjogren's if yours isn't) right away and ask how best to care for your teeth. I don't want to alarm you, but there are people on here who have lost many teeth as a result of Sjogren's. There are medications to stimulate saliva production and also to help with other manifestations like dry eyes. There are also special mouthwashes and toothpastes.

Zoe

Sjogren's came to my mind when I read your post. I have that with my Sclero. I drink lots while I am eating, and chase all my bites with liquid to keep things extra moist. I brush frequently, floss well and use non-alcohol mouth wash. I have not yet had to try the biotene or similar products.
I go to my dentist every 3 months for a thorough cleaning to stay ahead of the destructive processes.
If you haven't been diagnosed with sjogren's, it's probably worth mentioning to your doctor.

I don't know if this is related but I'm a big time talker and I find now I'm constantly spitting food. It has become a joke around family and friends because even after I finish eating I still seem to have bits of food and be spitting it as I talk. I' am becoming very self concious of it

It is not unusual for those of us with SD for our teeth to move. I had a lot of movement with my teeth and it was very painful also.

As I sit here with a pick in my mouth may I tell you its more common with us ssc folks. Ask your dentist to help you out. By the way I
have 2 cavities in the past year so do be careful. Prayers to all, Ro
PS Biotene is wonderful and the mouth wash is a must.

I find that food gets stuck in my teeth and on the sides of my mouth, which is much tighter than it once was. I drink a lot of water to keep my mouth moist. Since I can no longer floss most of my teeth due to my tightened cheeks, I use a rubber tip to clean around my teeth. I see my very gentle dentist every six months and so far, teeth are doing ok, all things considered.

Hi Diva;
SD often causes bone absorbtion.This comes on very slowly and is usually noticed when our teeth start to overlap a bit.This causes food to stick between them.Other problems are cracked teeth and decay often from a low oral PH. get a piece of litmus paper or those little sticks used to check your pool water.Mouth PH should be around 7.Mine used to sit at a constant 5.5.For that you really have to take double doses of minerals and rinse the mouth as often as possible with baking soda in water.It's very likely other bones are doing the same so watch out for osteoporosis.

thank you all for the info, i do know about sjogens, i am sooo fearful of dentists but i know i have to go, i know i have cavity's., I hate eating in front of people cause food gets stuck in my teeth and gums between my check. i have to rinse with water, on top of that i feel like crap today my feet hurt so bad i can barely walk. UGG! I hope i don't lose my teeth i an so scared i have to muster up the courage to call the dentist, when my kids were getting cleanings i told the dentist about me and he mentioned dry mouth can be a problem, but i don't feel like i have dry mouth, sometimes i even drool cause i facial numbness sometime, although i have been very thirsty lately.

Each time I see someone introduce a subject like this I think....wow, twhat's next? I carry toothpicks in my car, I always need them when I leave a restaurant. I have them at home next to my recliner. The drug store sells packages of green plastic tooth picks with a 1 inch floss on it. I use mothwash for dry mouth, saline spray for my nose and I keep grapes on hand so that, during the night when I get dry mouth (two or three times) I eat a few to stimulate my salivia glands.

I'm on O2 at night and my next Chemo ((cytoxin) is Thursday. But, all and all, I'm OK because I know I'm not alone. I have very strong Christian convictions so I'm not afraid. I have enough money, medical care and love that I'm actually grateful.

Thank yuou for explaining why I pick my teeth so much.

I know this sounds silly but it is comforting to find others going thru the same problems, my mouth was never big and now is quite small, food trapped between teeth and cheek, not a little , I am beginning to feel like a hamster and after a meal unpacking the cheeks is required!
Biotene unfortunately did nothing for me, yes I also spit food and the little floss tools plastic with a little bit of floss are a great help but I still can't reach the back spaces.
When I went to the dentist last time I had 17 cavities and I have joined the dental school as a patient, much cheaper and great experience for the students.
I have discovered I have to be really careful not to drink while I have stuff still in my mouth, 'cos I choke easily.
Having trouble sucking on straws, anyone else?

Keep fluids with me ALL the time. I also have sjogrens.

I too get food stuck in the back and sides of my mouth, I found an AMAZING device, waterpik waterflosser! It gets everything. After I eat, I use it because I also can't reach anywhere in the back. I couldn't live without it and it will save ur teeth.

I use a regular waterpik is the waterflosser different.? Thanks, appreciate all of the input, everthing helps. It especially nice to know you are not alone.

I too try and carry water at all times, tooth floss and/or chewing gum for after meals. The tightening of my cheeks and subsequent food that gets stuck in the back of my mouth is very annoying, but most of the time water and gum cleans it out. Does anyone find if they eat nuts or hard fibrous foods, it causes irritation and grazed like feelings in the very back upper gums, and makes it painful to stretch the jaw for a few days? I try and steer clear of eating too much of those food types. I just had 3 cavities filled, and another 2 to go next week! Try and find a dentist with small hands, it can be an incredible help. Hang in there! Once they are all fixed, it can be a great peace of mind!

Hi I have the same problem, and have been told by the dentist I have a little mouth. However there are some people who would say differently. I also choke and spit. I use act mouthwash and brush with sensodyne toothpaste. Stay strong at least its a life.

Since I started to gargle with unfiltered apple cider vinegar for my constant dry cough ( which is now gone), I noticed that I have stoped chocking when I eat, what a wonderful, unexpected bonus.

apple cider vinegar is good for acid reflux but.be careful with the apple cider vinegar. The acid in the vinegar can eat away at the enamel on your teeth and cause many cavities.

This may sound stupid but carry a little "sqirt gun " you know the child toy . can come in handy if you need a drink or need to clear your mouth .
cathy from ma

oh that says SQUIRT GUN [. childs toy]Fill befor you leave the house.[ hey whatever works .]
cathy from ma

A Squirt Gun? That is a first, If I should get pulled over by a cop and it falls out of my pocket book, i would get shot LOL, at least i would be put out of my misery LMAO. Or at least put in jail, I heard they have better health care then we do. GO FIGURE...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders