Probiotics supplements

Hello all, I pray that all had a wonderful time of thanksgiving with family and friends. It's extremely cold in Philly today which means a day of indoor activities for me, and I welcome the opportunity to sort, clean and put away and tidy things back in order. Has anyone researched the benefits or incorporated them into you regimen of meds?, and if so how are they?, and have you noticed a difference in your overall health as a result of taking them? Can you suggest what type and dosage as I am interested in trying them for some of the gastro issues. Hoping to achiveve balance by taking them and would like to know if they've been of help to you. Best of health to you all and thanks!

11 replies. Join the discussion

I do take probiotics, almost daily. It was recommended at a couple different workshops in the Boston Scloerdoerma Conference this summer. Either eat yogurt with "live active cultures" or take probiotics supplements. So, on days I eat yogurt, I skip the supplement.

I use the brand Pearl, and I like the Immune Support version. I also tried Pearl Intensive Care, and found it too strong for me. What it does for me is keep the BM's regular and close to normal (otherwise I vascillate between constipation and diarehea.)

I find I'm have MUCH less gas and bloating since starting this regime, too.

Good luck finding your balance!

Thank you, just wanted to get confirmation from someone that tried and happy to hear it gave some improvement for you. I will try it and report my response after a week. Again, thanks!

I use Pearls also one a day, & they keep my bacterial overgrowth in check. The bacterial overgrowth causes my stomach to feel full & I have to pass gas both ways. A GI Dr. can check for bacterial overgrowth.

I started probiotics about a month ago. I also have been on Nexium for a couple of years. I have constant diarrhea. I try to cut down on the Nexium and take the probiotics. I take 2 5 billion cfu. Brand is Nature Way. I get all my supplements from Vistacost. I do think it helps. I accually have had some normal stools in the last couple of weeks. I'm going to start Cellcept tomorrow, hoping that I can reduce some of my meds. Good Luck

Yes, my doctor put me on probiotics 2 years ago when I was diagnosed. Helps a little for me, but my GI tract seems to be badly affected by the sclero. Do conisder using a brand that has a number of different kinds of live cultures.., not just one or two.

I take a multi-vitamin that has probiotics in it. It is Nature Way for women over 45. I am glad to get the name of some other probiotics. I have stop taking Nexium after my upper endoscopy and started taking reglan, because I couldn't afford the nexium after I got in the medicare "donut hole" and I haven't had any GI problem lately. I am going to look for Pearls probiotics. Thank for the input.

I have my daughter taking Dr. O'hira Probiotic called Propolus, it is recommended for people with autoimmune diseases.

I take Dr. Mercola's probiotic with strenght 66 billion live bacteria, twice a day. I never had gastro issues I think due to consuming a lot of live plain natural yoghurt (and also b'cos my diffuse SD is has not toughed any of my internal organs in 30 years), but when I recently started AP, I went heavily with probiotics, although the abx I'm using is not known for causing the candida overgrowth problem as it's beleved to have even some antifungal properties in addition to bacteriostatic... But why risk, so I take as high dose and the highest quality there is. It's a blend of more than 10 friendly bacteria, not just one or 2...

cheryl50,
My dr had me on nexium for awhile also. But the side effects (gas) were just too much for me to take. I had been taking over the counter meds for my stomach for years and never had that issue. So I stopped takin the nexium. I now take prilosec, it works just as well. I also started takin digestive enzymes.
Sometimes we have to tell our dr's what works for us. Dont be affraid to take control of things alil.
:) hope your feeling better

I use Symbion Probiotics & it works very well for many of our sclero & GI issues - many other good things. Check out their website:

Symbionprobiotics.com

Oops. Correct website is: www.candidafree.net

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders