Pain on the bottom of my feet

I was curious if this is Scleroderma related- when I stand barefoot on a hard floor the bottoms of my feet hurt very badly. After standing for 20 minutes or more it hurts so badly i just can't stand any longer. It is as if my bones are smashing my skin into the ground and theres no padding.
I'd be interested if anyone else experiences this. Thank you for reading.

17 replies. Join the discussion

I too experience pain at the bottom of my feet from standing even short amounts of time. I don't know if this is related to Scleroderma. I do have morphea on my left foot, and that does tend to be the more painful side. I try to wear my nike shoes because they give me the most support. I also take Aleve (pain reliever) everyday.

loneminer,

I have many problems with my feet. In fact, one of the symptoms I had before I was diagnosed was severe sensitivity in my feet, where if I brushed up or bumped them against anything, they hurt so badly tears would stream down my cheeks.

But when I went to the foot doc, she said that she sees this all the time and it is NOT Scleroderma related. Now, you have to realize that this doctor probably has never even had a Scleroderma patient in her office.

I still have the pain in the bottoms of my feet, especially when barefoot.

One thing that helps tremendously is wearing shoes like Shape-ups by Sketchers, and Reebok, Nike, and many other brands have different versions. They not only help with the foot pain, they relieve back, knee, hip, leg pains as well. They can be expensive unless you watch for online deals and store sales. Finding coupon codes helps.

I hope this gives you some more insight..

I have severe pain in the bottom of my feet. It's definitely due to the effects of Raynaud's. I have lost padding and I have a feeling of burning at the bottom of my feet when I'm standing or walking too long. Actually feels like I have a ton of blisters at the bottom of my feet. I also get foot spasms (as I do in my hands). I suppose having Scleroderma has something to do with it, but I think it's more the Raynaud's. Whatever it is, there seems there is nothing they can do about it. I have seen a foot dr., gp, rheumatlogist and an orthopedic dr. regarding it. I was told not to go barefoot (which I can't because it hurts too much), wear cushion socks, cushioned insoles.

Also, if something falls on my feet, I have excrutiating pain from it. My feet have become extremely sensitive to heat and cold. I can no longer go for a paraffin pedicure because it burns my feet too much.

I am seeing a neurologist tomorrow and will tell him about it. Since I have chronic back pain and serious pains in my legs, perhaps it's nerve connected.

Just know you're not alone and keep connecting on this site and you will always find someone who is going through the same thing as you.....no matter what the drs. think!

Foot pain and lack of padding on the bottom of my feet are my problems. I keep them moisturized and use inserts in my shoes

I also can never go barefoot. I wear slippers or flip flops around the house. I've gotten used to it. Celebrex may help a little.

Along with the above, some medications can cause foot pain (remodulin) and leg pain also. I'm on a med called gabapentin, it's for neuron pain and has been very helpful.

I have had Raynaud's for almost 30years and I have terrible burning and pain in the bottom of my feet when I stand or walk to long. It is very difficult to go barefoot. I always wear slippers(even in the summer) or new balance running shoes. My daughter just got married in April and I was able to wear dress shoes for the ceremony and then right back to slippers for the reception...I have just gotten used to it and adapted...Kymmie

I always have to wear at least flip flops. We have a lot of hardwood floors and I can't stand to walk on them barefoot. There is very little cushion left on the bottoms of my feet.

Tenderness on the bottoms of both feet was one of the first symptoms I noticed. A year later, I still avoid walking anywhere around the house without slippers or shoes. I have seen 2 rheumies without a clear explanation for the symptoms.

I have the pain in the bottom of the feet also. Not just the red burning pain that comes with my "red attacks," but also that feeling that I'm standing directly on my foot bones. I have to have extreme amounts of padding in the soles of my shoes, and even then I have pain when standing in line to pay for things at cash registers.

I would NOT have been able to do my last tour of Italy (standing in line for doors of museums and churches to open for our tour group, and standing listening to tour guides) had it not been for my collapsible tripod stool that Hubby carried slung over his shoulder. It was a Godsend! But even so, I think that my touring days may be over, regrettably. It's just so hard.

i am a hairdresser and the pain in my feet are so bad. the balls of my feet hurt the worst, i have to bring different shoes to work and change them back and forth. that gets me through the day

Thank you all for the replies. Up until recently I thought that everyone experienced this when standing barefoot. I mentioned it to my husband and he had no idea what I was talking about. That's why I decided to ask all of you, low and behold it's Scleroderma again!

When I go barefoot I feel like I'm walking on marbles. Ouch! I rarely go barefoot......

G

I have also lost all padding under my feet. I have a lot of pain walking barefoot on a bare floor. I have to wear shoes with orthotics all the time to be comfortable. Go to foot doctor and see what they have to say about it. My scleroderma has RH symptoms also. My toes are like hammer toes and are overlapping the other toes. I don't know if you are aware that Scleroderma, RH, and Lupus are kissing cousins of each other. That means if you have Scleroderma you will also get symptoms of one of the other which makes things worse. For me, I have been wearing shoes as first thing when I get up in morning. I even have some problems on carpet sometimes. Good Luck

You mentioned your legs hurting, and feet, Check also for Peripheral Vascular Disease in legs. I have same problems and found I have this and it is caused by Scleroderma and Plaque in arteries. Have had several procedures to help with blood flow. My toes hurt also even when just clipping the nails. Good Luck Praying for all of us.

Yes my feet hurt all the time, i have systemic scleroderma and fibro. I am pretty sure it is from the scleroderma because my rhumy is always conserned about my feet and my hands.

I think the foot issues are one of the most prevalent complaints in scleroderma. I tried searching this inspire forum for "feet" and came up with 1,020 results.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders