Pain Killers

What pain killers have people tried and what results?
For me..

Aleve - no effect at 440mg
Ibuprofen - no effect
Tylenol - no effect
Voltaren gel - little effect
Oxycodone - a pain vacation but I fear its addictive properties and I certainly could not use this at work!
Hydrocodone - same as Oxycodone.
Tramadol - fairly effective but likewise makes me dopy. And it made me the most constipated I've ever been. Yowza.
Cyclobenzaprene - effective but makes me feel dopy.

Anything else out there?

21 replies. Join the discussion

Tylenol - no effect
naproxyn, ibuprofen - some relief after regular use of fairly high doses for a few days, but am not supposed to take anymore because of my history of bleeding esophageal erosions
Celebrex - around 50% relief from stiffness, minimal relief from pain; again, my GI doc is not thrilled about me taking this, but I can't get out of bed without it. (I used Vioxx years ago, before I was diagnosed, it worked well for me back then, but was taken off the market around 10? years ago)
Voltaren gel - little effect
Tramadol - no effect, not even side effects
Lidocaine 5% patches - helpful for wrists, forearms, and my arches; does nothing for the deeper pain areas - shoulders, hips, etc.
Cymbalta - no pain relief, only made my heart pound
Codeine (tylenol # 3) - couldn't even talk without speech slurred; very sedating and if I did get up and move around, I was nauseous
Darvocet N-100 - worked fairly well with only mild sedation but was taken off the market here in US Dec 2010
Hydrocodone - works the best of anything I've tried - but I agree with you, certainly could not function at work using it and don't take it if I have to drive - I've been on disability for a year now; is very constipating with regular use, but for me that is a good side effect as I have chronic diarrhea without it
Prednisone relieves a lot of my pain and stiffness, but I lose any effect at doses less than 20 mg; rheumy does not want me on it except for short-term bursts with flares because of risk of renal crisis
Plaquenil - started this April 2011, no effect yet; doc says if still no effect at 6 months is thinking next to try is Remicade (depends on after insurance cost!)

what else is there to try?

After trying many different pain killers I have was put onto CYMBALTA. The rheumatologist started me on a low dose 30mg and slowly increased the dose. I now take the highest dose 120mg daily and when I have pain I treat (usually my hands) with warm gloves.
i hope this helps you
regards
shelleyskud

I do the lortab thing. It's all about quality of life. I also take plaquenil in the morning and lyrica (225 mg) at nite. I take the lyrica at nite cause it gave me a spacey feeling and made me sleepy...which works when needing to sleep. I have no ill effects of it in the morning. I've been on it for about 2 years and can't tell of any side effects.

The fentanyl patch which you change every three days has been very helpful. You dont get that drugged feeling. I also take oxycodone for breakthrough pain. Good luck

So the fentanyl patch goes on one are but the effect is throughout the body?

The fentanyl patch made me vomit. I have been on prednisone for over a year now and that has taken care of the pain. I've also used ibuproin and it has helped.

This ia such a good question, My husband has been on naproxyn 500 mg, and it had him sick on the stomach so we had to stop it last week Thursday. He is in pain I don't know what to ask the doctor for next. His pain is in his hands, but he aches almost all over.

I take plaquenil 2 times a day, and for the pain i take methodone 10mg four times a day and soma's 4 times a day and that combination works well for me, now that i am on disability and i dont drive i can finally be out of pain.

First thing I'm going to address is the difference between addiction and dependncey.

Addiction is "Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance: a drug used in the treatment of heroin addiction. An instance of this: a person with multiple chemical addictions. The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something. An instance of this: had an addiction for fast cars.". A heroin addict doesn't need heroin other than the fact that their body demands it.

Dependency: The state of being dependent, as for support.

When you are in pain, you need relief from that pain to have some quality of life. I need pain medication because I am in constant pain from neck and back injuries. I am DEPENDENT on that pain medication to get through the day (and night).

YOU need pain medication so that you can survive each day free of pain. If it takes morphine to relieve pain, then so be it.

I am in another flare and looking for relief as well. Thank you for the posts.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. My primary told me to go to 500mg on Aleve
and surprisingly that gave me a fairly pleasant night. He prescribed me prendisone if I need it as
a backup. But haven't picked it up yet.

My 1st rheumy in MA put me on plaquinel 2x a day. She told me to never let anyone take me off it because it will slow the progress of the disease. As for pain, I'm on Etodolac. This was after taking 4 Aleve at a time. I still have flares and now that I'm in FL I hooked up with a Scleroderma support group who referred me to sepecific drs familiar with scleroderma. My rheumy here is just continuing meds but is having my blood drawn every 6 weeks and monitoring. He did add 1000 Fish Oil 2x a day and upped my Vitamin D to 5000 2x a day. I was recently on a Zpack (antibiotic) and prednisone for bronchitis and even though I felt lousy my joints felt great and no pain but they won't keep me on prednisone because of too many other problems.

Very interesting Raynan. I never heard of Etodolac. How long since diagnosis and how's quality of life on the regimine?

Positive ANA 1:2560 Jan 2010...CREST diagnosis March 2010. I am more active since the move to FL Sept 2010 as I've taken up golf using a golf cart and the weather here is a big improvement over New England. We are in North Central FL so it is not the extreme tropical weather like in South Florida. I'm going to stay as active as I can, as long as I can. My worst effect is GI with chronic diarhea so I stay close to home for awhile after I eat.

Hi Raynan, I am also in Central Florida, can I ask where about you are ? I am in Citrus County. I need a new rhuemy. I am on methadone, hydrocodone, oxycodone is a new one, I haven't started that one yet. I was on morphine for 2 years, it did nothing. My rhuemy had me on prednisone for 7 years, but when I went to John Hopkins, the dr there said no way ! It should only be taken no more than 6-8 weeks. I am so confused. I just started going to a chiropractor, which I think is helping. But, my newest thing that I believe is helping is co q 10, and also soy protein powder shake, which helps muscles. My dr. Said it was safe and good for me. I really believe that is my newest great pain relief !!! Good luck in finding what helps you..everyone is different...take care !

I'm in California. Thanks for sharing what's worked and what not. That's interesting about protein powder shake for muscles. Can't hurt to try that out. But you really think it's been more pain relief than methadone, hydrocodone and morphine??

I take Neurontin/Gabapentin for neuropathic pain, and it has made me want to live again! Seriously, the thought of being in pain, escalating pain, the rest of my life was a very difficult thing. When the neurologist put me on Neurontin, it was the only thing that really helped. I also take the max dose of naprosyn 2x/day. Tylenol#3 and vicodin dull the pain, and I use those occasionally, but I agree that darvocet worked better. Too bad it was pulled from the market,but the heart rhythm risks were pretty severe.
If you have neuropathy, you might want to look in to Neurontin.

Say - what is neuropathy? I have different kinds of pains all over. :-) Excuse the ignorance. I haven't been to talk with Rheum yet.

Neuropathy is basically nerve pain. I was diagnosed by a Neurologist. This type of pain is mainly tingling, burning pain in my feet, legs, hands, and forearms. I also get the tingling in my face, mainly my lips and chin. This is what started me looking in to my symptoms. My feet were the first to start hurting, and it has just gotten worse and worse. I get electrical shock-type pain in my feet and legs. I can't stand for long because my feet just hurt so much; it is like I have no cushioning on the bottoms of my feet. The Neurontin really helps! Good luck! Let me know if there is more you want to know!

That is very good to know there is something that works for the neuropathy. I think that's what I was experiencing all over the place last night. I couldn't sleep. Finally I took a hydrocodone around 3am and that knocked me out. Made a huge difference. Tends to be like the movie Groundhog Day. In a world of hurt at night, unable to sleep, anxious. Then wake up and the zany show has taken a break.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The Scleroderma Foundation in no way endorses any drugs, treatments, clinical trials, or studies referenced in this website. Information is provided to keep the readers informed. Because the manifestations and severity of scleroderma vary among individuals, personalized medical management is essential. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that all drugs and treatments be discussed with the reader's physician(s) for proper evaluation and treatment.