Nexuim/Prilosec

have you notice that when you take these meds that it causes you to have more pain? I have to take Nexuim 40 mg two times a day sometimes three, and I notice when I do take it like I should or three times a day i have more pain. I know I read somewhere that this can happen to people what are you supose to do if this happens? I deal with pain every day but this is making it difficult for me to walk I limp when I take what I am supose to but when I dont I limp or have that pain like it has been, I do have Fibro, and take meds for that but I was wondering if any of you expericence this.
sam

12 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Sam;
I hope your doctor told you to never use these meds 2 hours before or after eating as they hamper digestion.I only used it before going to bed.After a few months on digestive enzymes I did not have ant more gerd.Have you tried them? GNC makes a great one that will not breal your bank.Around 30$ for over 200 capsules,big blue jar with a red cap.

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C42513.html

Sam & Christine,

I'm on 2 Nexium a day. I have not noticed any increase in pain when I take them, but each of us can react differently to medications.

I hope you are taking your Nexium an hour before your meals! That way it can supress the acid from being formed in your stomach, it's a proton pump inhibitor. Otherwise it cannot work & you might as well throw it into the toilet as swallow it (and it is much too expensive for that), because once the acid has been released there, you would need a different type of medicine to deal with the acid, Tums or Mylanta.

I imagine it does hamper digestion somewhat, but more importantly, it is curtailing the acidthat is so destructive.

I suggest talking to your doctor about the increased pain when you take it.

As far as Prilosec, I don't take it or know much about it.

I only take Nexuim I was wondering if prilosec could do the same as the nexuim as far as pain. I take it in the morning and at night with my other meds. I was never told about the two or one hour before eating. But thanks for letting me know that. That is good to know.

I HAVE TAKEN PRILOSEC FOR 3 YEARS BUT DO NOT TAKE IT TWICE A DAY 1/2 HR BEFOR MEALS LIKE I WAS PRESCRIBED. I HAVE FOLLOWED CHRISTINE'S ADVICE AND AM TRYING IT ONCE BEFORE BEDTIME AS THAT IS WHEN MY ACID STARTS UP. I HAVE PAIN MOST OF THE TIME BUT IT IS FROM THE JOINTS AND MUSCLES. I AM CONSIDERING A LYME-LITERATE DOC IF STRANGER THINGS KEEP HAPPENING

I was taking prilosec 2x day for a long time and after a 24 hr. acid test (with a tube down my nose into my stomach and a monitor) my MD said it wasn't working well enough and switched me to Nexium 2X day and I have had more pain and reflux problems ever since. I do not eat at regular times and so it is so hard for me to remember to take this 1/2 - 1 hr. before eating. Isnt there something for us unorganized, forgetful people?????

My insurance company rejected the 2X day Nexium and will give me only enough for 1X day .....the MD office is taking this on and so far they have not reversed the decision and the MD is writing a letter to explain why I need this etc. What a pain to be sick and denied the meds you need.

"It's always something"

Hi Tina;
If you want the Lyme test that is something you do yourself.Go to www.igenex.com ,order the kit,they mail it to you,you go to your family doc to have a blood sample taken and spun then Fed Ex it to the lab.TRhey send the results to your doctor.You file a claim with your insurance.Simple as that.Most labs do not test for the right bands so make sure you use one of the only 3 good ones .I can't remember the names of the other 2 but if you go to the Roadback site they will tell you and help interpret the results which are madly confusing.I am a scientist and got confused so I can imagine what others go through.

I use prescription strenght Omeprazole with no problems . I also take Mobic and i noticed if I dont take it with enough food it hurts my tummy bad.

I'm on 1 nexium 40mg per day, at first my reumy told me 1-2 hrs after dinner, and I did not feel good, I talk to my internist to keep him up to date on what my reumy has said he told me not to take it like that but 30min prior to dinner. I've been bloated and with acid reflux, It's been 4 days since I started and I feel worse

Hi Super Girl;
My doctor told me I had to change my way of thinking when I told her about my probles that were like yours.She said that if I did not have enough acid in my stomack to digest the food rapidly that it would sit there and start to putrify before reaching the gut.That gives bad pain and gut pain as I would end up with very slow motility.
I was really scared to change anything but what she said made sense so I would take 1 digestive enzyme with a snack and 2 with a meal.Things moved along much better and in a couple months the pain and swelling went away.I did have to cut out a lot of foods so maybe that helped also.I would only take Nexium before bed and could stop after a few months

I used to take Prilosec and it stopped working for reflux. I had already had my esophogus dialated prior to this. The Dr. placed me on 40 mg nexium which worked remarkably well, however after a few years, my insurance company refused to pay for it. They tried placing me on Prilosec again with ever increasing dosage. It was increased to 4/day and still did not work.
My only option was to pay out of pocket for Nexium---expensive, but it works.

I am actually talking about hip pain or any other joint pain that you think is associated with taking nexuim/prilosec.

hi same day i am so sorry to read bout ur pain trust i understand..i have been on nexium 40 mg daily since ive had sd which has been 10 years now..i have not had any pain using it..i bet u anything its the fibro thats causeing ur pain but like sum one else mentioned all meds affect us differently..i pray that u find wat it is..God bless

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders