liver enzymes

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about elevated liver enzymes related to scleroderma? Mine are high and my Dr. is concerned as am I. I haven't really read anything about this on this site so don't know if it may be related to medicines or scleroderma. I do drink about 7 drinks per week.....one per day, but didn't really think this would cause such elevated levels. I know acetominaphene increases levels but my intake of that is about 1200 mg/day. any info greatly appreciated. Cm

16 replies. Join the discussion

Cm, they check my liver enzymes monthly because of the medications i'm on and so far, so good thank God. My sister has had high liver enzymes for years also because of medication. From what I understand, meds and long term use of liquor have a part in it as well as hepatitis. Good luck!

Are you having gallbladder or stomach issues? My liver enzymes were elevated and it was because my gallbladder wasn't functioning. Back down after Gb removed.

I have elevated liver enzymes too. The doctor changed my pain medication to Norco 10/325 since it has less acetaminaphin. I had to stop all tylenol use. I rarely drink maybe once or twice I year I have a Margarita. I used to be a Dialysis Nurse and my Hepatic panels came back negative. My enzymes are only slightly elevated and will be repeating the tests next month. Some medications will effect the liver such as Naprosyn, etc. The ones that help relieve joint pain are rough on the liver. I also had Idiopathic Pancreatitis back in 2007 and my Liver enzymes were very very high. I was diagnosed with SS back in the early 90's but probably had it all my life and they had no idea what was wrong with me. Just putting some information out there. I hope that someone has more info because my doctor didn't think it was related to my SS. Will be asking about this again at my appointment this week.

When the doctors prescribed acetritin or methotrexate, they warned that any alcohol could
badly affect liver function. Because those two medications alone can increase liver enzymes,
I have monthly blood tests and am now off all alcohol. Hope they don't take away the coffee!!!

thanks so much for all replies. Thank you. See my doctors today and what they recommend. I am most afraid that they will want to to take me off Norco: 7 1/2 325
I don't know how I would manage if this happened as I do have much back pain due to previous serious back injuries as well as the usual ss related pains in joints and muscles. Getting off alcohol completely will be a real challenge for me but I am willing to try. Any advice on how to do that on my own would also be appreciated. I have posted in the alcohol group as well. I do have a history of drinking more than I should but have cut down over time. Sometimes it seems the only adjunct that helps me feel at peace. I know it's a "false" peace. I know. But I'm afraid that physiologically I have an addiction problem. I should discuss this with my Dr. honestly. I know. I'm just afraid. So afraid. Thanks again, CM

take milk thistle to help protect your liver and lower enzymes '
cathy from ma

Dear cassiemae, Having an addictive personality myself, I hear you. Is it possible to switch to another addiction? For me, when the pain gets bad,
I try Free Cell and Spider Solitaire, not online, just on my laptop. It helps me to focus on something other than the way I'm
feeling and the fear I feel. Also, the crowd I'm around most of the time are limiting their drinking a bit more and always make it okay
for me to ask for water. There are many people keeping me in their prayers and I sometimes I think I can feel the calm
they are praying for me. I'm saying my prayers for you, too, that you will feel peace instead of anxiety and that your pain will lessen.
Hang in there.

Cassiemay. I hope all goes well for you today. You know what you need to do about the alcohol problem in your heart. Stopping that should help with the liver issues in the long term. I would suggest counseling and AA to help you find support to get through that. I am not sure what other options there are out there for pain relief without acetaminophen in it. But that is another option to explore. From your post you understand what you need to do and understand the need to find assistance to get through this. I hate to mention this to you but. Suboxone is used to treat pain. My own doctor discussed this with me in the past couple of weeks. It is a hard change to go through but it might be an option to discuss. I wish you the very best and will keep you in my prayers.

Cassiemay, i'm so sorry you need to give up the one thing you can always count on, a drink. But, I too had to give up smoking and i miss it all day, every day. Cigarettes were my best friend but faced with the fact that i have ss and if it goes to my lungs my life would be in great danger, i had no choice but to quit. I had my last cigarette at 5:30 pm, August 7, 2012 and miss it every day but I realized my life is a gift from God and i'm not willing to return it, lol. Please try to get help and I assure you you'll overcome this. Good luck and God bless.

Cassiemay,
I too have elevated liver enzymes and they do not know why. I do not drink, take methotrexate etc. nor do I have hep a, b or c. They continue to test me. Would be nice to figure out why they are so high. Hang in there and hopefully they will figure it out.

Take care and all the best.

Carol

Cassiemay,

I was a bartender for many years and I have been very close with many many people with an alcohol problem; at least 4 close friends of mine have died from it. It's a long, ugly, painful death. But I also know many people who have gotten involved in a program and given it up. Of these, I don't know ANY who have regretted it. I hope you will find the courage and support you need to stop drinking.

Cassiemay,
I too have elevated liver enzymes and they test me every month. I do not drink but my medications are causing the enzymes to go up. Right now I am off Prednisone as well as Minocycline. However, I have continued with Bosentan. I hope you will find a way to overcome your problem. I have had Scleroderma for over 20 years. Please do not give up.
Best wishes
Rozina

My liver enzymes were elevated. Do not drink, but did consume a lot of Ibuphrophin (sp)? for pain. But who knows what caused it, probably the Scleroderma. My doctor sent me to a Gastro Dr., who order a liver biopsy because Scleroderma can scar the liver. My biopsy showed I had Primary Biliary Cirrohosis of the Liver. Simply put scarring of the liver, in the beginning stage. My Gastro Dr put me on Urdisol, which was 10 years ago, my liver enzymes returned to normal and are tested at each Rhemy visit. I feel lucky I had a great Rhemy, who caught it at an early stage and got the Primary Biliary Cirrhosis under control. Good Luck

My liver enzymes were elevated and my autoimmune markers were off for Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. A liver biopsy confirmed that I did have Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. Apparently this overlap with Scleroderma and PBC is common.

My liver enzymes are up too. I am tested monthly with blood work. I take only Doxycycline, 150 mg, delayed release tabs. I've had morphea form of scleroderma for over a year. I am much improved with the doxycycline. But: My sclero doc sent me to a gastro doc about the elevated liver enzymes. The gastro doc told me, "You have a fatty liver" but he also named off a dozen serious diseases I DON'T have so I was happy about that. He will see me again in 6 months to repeat the blood work. He says fatty liver can happen whether you drink or not, mostly related to being overweight. I am about 15 lbs over weight. My sclero doc has me on liver support supplements including milk thistle, detox formula, etc. He sells the supplements right out of his office. His blood tests monitor side effects of the doxycycline and of course he measures my sclero progress each month too. Overall, he is pleased with my progress on the scleroderma treatment (antibiotic protocol) and accepts what the gastro doc says about having a fatty liver. He will continue to watch me, now bi-monthly for as long as it takes or as long as I have insurance anyway...

Thanks Everyone for your kindness in replying and sharing your experiences and knowledge. CM

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders