Finger nail cuticles

Does anyone have brittle discolored cuticles on their fingers? I do and was considered a "symptom" diagnosed by Dr Chaergee at the Cleveland Clinic. I wondered if anyone has any remedies to help soften the cuticles and help with the discoloration? I have tried "parrafin dips" and applying "heavy duty" lotion and gloves each night. I am not seeing much change and was wondering if anyone might have any other suggestions?
Thank you!

16 replies. Join the discussion

I have problems with my cuticles. They are dry, sometimes jagged and overgrown. Never had this problem prior. Sometimes I will get a dark spot at the base of the fingernail also. When my cuticle peels, they hurt real bad. Every so often I will notice a small dark spot at the tip of the nail bed. I did try buffing my nails gently and it seemed to help a little. Sometimes I notice that my nail growth is stunted, as nails will grow very slowly but are harder than bricks.

I had that issue also. I use a very soft nail brush and use tea tree oil soap from Wal mart and they are then treated with Eucern cream and wear the dollor gloves that trech to bed all night......It has helped me ...hope it works for you.........

I do this after soaking my hands in very warm water to soften the dry skin............

I have very dry cuticles, I keep them under control with a product called "Surgeon's skin secret" it's a beeswax moisturizer. I use my thumbnail to scrape a small amount of the wax out of the jar and then message around the cuticle and any other dry spots. If you do this enough times, it really works, my finger nails look good. I got it on line, you can go to www.surgeonsskinsecret.com
I hope this helps,
Nima

I was also seen by Dr. Chattergee (That is his name) He is very good and gives you alot of hope. Also how about vaseline with dermal gloves at night. I see the one response with a soft cuticle brush...if I did that I would hit the roof with the pain.. I have many ulcers and sores that never heal. Try the vaseline, if all you want to do is soften.

Hi, I do have some issues with this too. It really depends on which products I am using as to how my hands do. I'd highly suggest trying extra-virgin cold-pressed olive oil to moisturize your hands and body. As a massage therapist my hands would crack and get extremely dry with everything else. Now that I use EVOO, my hands are great. My GI doctor who looks at my hands each visit said that he thinks I've found a new treatment for sclero hands!! I understand that Vaseline works for people, but it is a petrolium product and according to my environmental MD we really shouldn't use anything on our bodies that we can't eat.

;-) Blessings!

I soak my fingers in hot water and it softens up the hard overgrown cuticle and then trim it off with a cuticle cutter then I put lotion on them to keep them soft. Its the simplest way for me. Its sometimes painful but its not as painful as catching one something.

I have this problem. My dermatologist recommended Eucerin Aquaphor healing ointment. It has helped me tremendously, it keeps the skin from drying out. I put it on every night and once during the day. At first, it feels greasy, like vaseline. But that greasy feeling goes away after awhile. Aquaphor, as it's name suggests is water based. Good luck.

Hi
This was a big problem for me as well. I got a good cuticle cream from The Body Shop called Almond Oil Nail & Cuticle Balm. It helped so much! Still does.

I'm just happy to know that I'm not the only one with this symptom. I like to garden which doesn't help. I will try some of the suggestions. Thanks!

I use an inexpensive healing cuticle oil by Sally Hansen (available in nail polish area of drug store) which I apply in the evening. It's a brush-on oil. After 30 minutes or so I use True Blue SPA at your fingertips softening cuticle oil stick (vitamin E and almond oil) which my daughter purchased at Bath & Body Works @ $8.00) and which I use to push back the cuticles. After that I use Aquaphor healing ointment to work into my hands, sometimes rubbing off the excess on my arms. All this helps, but my hands are still dry.

When gardening I put on a pair of vinyl gloves (from Walgreens @ $4.95 per 100) and gardening gloves over the vinyl gloves. This helps to keep out dirt and keep the moisture in.

Hope this helps.

Well it sounds like we all have different approaches, with this common problem of the hands and fingers. I happen to use a perscription salve for my fingers, called Silver Sulfadiazine, which is readily used for sores that don't heal or severe burns to the skin. Inicially I used it when I got ulzers on my fingertips, a tell tale sign of the big "R", as we all know, all to well! I also take a drug called Precardia, which is a Calcium Blocker, that helps keep the blood flowing, as best as it can in my fingers. I also do Parafin Wax and/or Fluido Therapy (hands are put into a machine that heats and creates movement with some type of granular product, around your hands) when I go to my Occupational Therapist, every week. I get Manual Therapy now, because the Scleroderma has hardened several of my fingers, which had created some limitation with range of movement. And I also do some at home exercises, along with using several devises that help flex and contract the fingers as well. Even at work, I will wear compression gloves in the summer, along with warm gloves in the winter. So it is a constant issue, that never goes away. The only inconsistent thing is how you treat it. I find you have to have several treatments in your arsenal, because different issues may crop up, at different times. So I have my Creams, my Parafin and Fluido, my Medications, my Gloves, my OT Therapy, and the only thing I am going to try this winter, is Steam in my Bedroom, for moisture to counter-act the dryness. That is all for now!

I too loved to garden. I used platex gloves for my outdoors workout ....helped to keep my hands dry and clean.

Enjoy..............

i to have trouble with dry cuticle's. and i also have had several infections down in the side's of my fingernail's, and they have to go in there and open it up and sometime's bust the pocket, and it is very painful. weepy.

I hated those overgrown cuticles....so I went to a beauty supply place and got this very inexpensive stuff called Blue Cross Cuticle Remover.....I just put a few drops on my nails, wait a short time and use a cuticle tool to push the cuticle down. This softens and removes the extra tissue 1-2-3. So easy that I couldn't believe I didn't know about this a long time ago!!!!!

I hated those overgrown cuticles....so I went to a beauty supply place and got this very inexpensive stuff called Blue Cross Cuticle Remover.....I just put a few drops on my nails, wait a short time and use a cuticle tool to push the cuticle down. This softens and removes the extra tissue 1-2-3. So easy that I couldn't believe I didn't know about this a long time ago!!!!!

Thanks Everyone for your input! I am trying many of your suggestions, I will keep you updated on the results. Hope you are all having a good week.
mlb

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders