Electric Blankets and Heating Pads: Good or Bad?

I have been diagnosed with Scleroderma since Sept 2010 and my symptoms continue to progress. I'm on methotrexate, codone as well as other medications as most of you to help manage this condition.

Hot/Warm towel compresses are very helpful but I find are short lived when it comes to comfort. I'm receiving conflicting information on use of electric blankets and heating pads. On the warning labels it says products are not to be used for those with poor circulation which is a symptom of Scleroderma.

Please share feedback/insights.

18 replies. Join the discussion

In my experience, they are GOOD GOOD GOOD. Essential. My feet are on some electric warming device probably 18 hours/day.

The concern behind those labels is that, if the heating pad is used by someone who has reduced sensation in their skin, they might get a burn without realizing it.

You probably can use heating pads, but start carefully. Use the lowest setting. Don't put the pad directly on your skin. I get plenty of warmth by turning the pad on for 5 - 10 minutes, then off until my feel start to feel cold again, so I don't have it on anywhere near long enough to cause a burn. Check your skin often.

Get a new, good quality heating pad, and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you're not sure about it. Many of the new ones have a switch that automatically turns the power off after a period of time (30 min - 2 hrs), which adds an additional safety factor.

Many heating pads can be used either dry or moist. I find that the dry heat is more comfortable--the moist heat leaves you damp when you turn it off, which feels COLD.

I use a heated mattress pad, one that has duel controls. So that hubby doesn't get to hot. LOL I so love it. I also have raynauds which helps. Enjoy!!!

There is another concern also, and that is if the heat raises the metabolic rate of the cells faster than it dilates the blood vessels to deliver oxygen to them, ischemia can result, with damage to the cells. So, I think you have to dial up the heat very slowly and be sure not to overdo it.

P.S. I DID love my electric mattress pad, but had to stop using it when I bought a thermofoam mattress. The heated mattress pads stiffen thermofoam and can void the warranty on such mattresses.

i like to sleep in a cool room and finally the stack of blankets got unmanageable. i came across a very plushy blanket and decided to go for it. it was wonderful - for two months - and then it died. maybe i expected too much - it had a surge button so you could really fire it up for an hour then it would go to prearranged temp. but alas, the dreaded digital dial started error display. i didnt do as daily recommended and check it out on line first - did so afterward only to discover the same fate of other west point home blankets. i was glad i hadnt paid full price. i got it at discount retailer or else i would return it to regular department store. its still a nice plushy blanket but the wire in is annoying. those two months were absolute heaven so ill start looking again for next winter. im doing the hot pad on my tootsies and that helps a lot - try that for a while and youll be convinced to go full body hotness.

I have started to use an electric blanket this winter and love it. I find it particularly helpful if I turn it on before bedtime, to get the bed warm and cozy. I often turn it off during the night when I no longer feel cold.

Moist heat penetrates deeper than dry heat. However the moist heat will cool off and the electric pad will keep on being warm. After moist heat you go into infra red and finally end up with ulta sound.

I would be lost without my electric blanket and heating pads.

G

I definitely use a heating blanket since the room is too cold over night for me.

I use a heated mattress pad. Even my husband was happy to have it this winter. It has dual controls so I get the heat my feet and legs need and he get a milder warmth on cold nights. It lets us keep the room temperature down. I still have my heating pad and hot water bottle and would fight anyone for any of the three.
Kathy

I use heating pads, but very carefully. I forgot to turn it off one night and wound up with a huge blister. I didn't even notice the blister until I was bathing and felt a huge bump on my hip. My skin was so thick that I didn't feel it when it burned me. They are great comfort, especially during cold weather, just be careful using them.
Kim

I've used a moist/dry heating pad for years and have it set on a low setting for 3 hours when I go to bed. I use for my lower back and legs. I could not do without this. I not only have pain from Scleroderma, but I also have leg pain from restless leg syndrome. The heating pad helps to releave some pain.

Good luck in your decisions.

I love my heating blanket. We have one that "died" and my husband put over the mattress and I loooooveee it! Just that way we didn't have to throw it away. Just an idea for those who wore theirs out. Add softness and retains the body heat very well.

I love my heating blanket. We have one that "died" and my husband put over the mattress and I loooooveee it! Just that way we didn't have to throw it away. Just an idea for those who wore theirs out. Add softness and retains the body heat very well.

I can't sleep without my electric blanket. I keep it on low and turn it on and off as needed. The only thing my doctor said he didn't like about it is that it dries out your skin.

I am on a computer ten hours a day for work and have found propping a heating pad over my mousing hand has been a great help in minimizing digital ulcers. I also keep a small bottle of lotion in my desk and apply it several times a day to prevent the heat from drying my skin.

I think use of A heating pan can be dangerous ,,,as much As I enjoyed it and it felt so good ,I fell asleep with it on my shoulder and I know it damaged it futher . I also have heard of persons recieving very bad burns .

I use a heating pad on a low setting, don't put it against my skin and it turns itself off in 1 hour. I have been a lot of muscle and joint issues lately and I have used it a lot lately.

I also purchased an electric 'throw" this year. I use it in the family room when I am reading or watching TV. I keep the heat at a temperature condusive to the room temperature. It really helps my feet stay warm and if it feels too warms I just turn the temp down.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders