Dimple like indentions on elbows knees and stomach

Does anyone know what is the cause of large dimple like indentions on knees, elbows etc. I first noticed one of these areas below my rib cage. I have this hallowed out area that my boyfriend thought was caused by an operation. I have recently noticed them on my elbows and knees as well. They look like giant dimples with no flesh between the skin and bones.

Edited March 16, 2012 at 12:44 am

5 replies. Join the discussion

Do you mind me asking are these skin areas hard or just changes in the muscles under the skin??

They do feel hard to the touch but that is because there is no flesh or fat there and I am actually feeling the bone with only skin covering it.

I have this also. It feels like there is no muscle and just skin on bone. I would like to know if this is how the disease progresses. My tendons feel tight also like a rubber band. Does anyone know if this is part of the symptoms? Thanks

I've had scleroderma for 14 yrs. Had a very stressful winter that has seemed to kick start some disease progression. I told my husband that it feels like I am "losing my stuffing"! My hands are bony, I have no fat around my knees, my face is getting very thin, and I do have sunken areas like you mentioned. Very worrisome is that my tendons are getting tighter and are starting to hurt! I do believe that stress caused this flare-up. (We went thru bankruptcy and now foreclosure. Had to find homes for several of our beloved pets. A diagnosis of PAH and a bad reaction to the first med given sent me to the hospital for a couple of days! The list goes on...) Things are getting lot better now and we have a beautiful new home so I'm hoping the disease will settle down. I've learned to live in the moment but I also LOVE having things/events to look forward to! I sing a lot and find beauty in everything! My kids tell me I'm wierd! Ha ha! I love it!

Lynnski......my symptoms sounds a lot like yours. My kids call me "bird hand". Partly, because I have 8 parakeets, but mostly because my hands look like a bird's foot. You have an upbeat outlook on life and sound so content. I always know when someone in our household is happy....they sing! Good for you for being weird.... my kids tell me the same thing and I know I'm marvelous!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders