Curved Nails

Recently, some of my fingernails have started to curve downwards as they grow, particularly on my index fingers. It seems to be getting worse and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Does anyone know what causes this - I've read that it can be a sign of lung problems, but at the moment my organs seem to be okay. Is there anything I can do to stop them curving and prevent them getting worse?

Thanks for any help or advice!

54 replies. Join the discussion

I didn't mention that although I do not have substantial loss of lung capacity (yet)..my x-ray shows an undefined patch of healed lung scaring.

This is, I am sure, due to inhaling silica dust from the air that was always full of the stuff in my town from being blown into the air from the local cement mining plant.

I am the 3rd woman to have scleroderma in this tiny town and there is a huge incidence of rare brain cancers.

It rained down on us so badly that there was always a layer on the car and on the furniture inside the house..it was thick!

I also didn't mention that at the same time I began to take the Lisinopril I also began taking a vitamin D supplement because the testing showed the standard deficiency.

Perhaps it is a combination of these two that made such a difference?

I also have the same problem with all my nails. I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis about 5 years ago. Now i get hangnails all the time and it affects my toenails. I keep them short and filed down. I used to love having my nails done, i miss it, but not anymore :(

I too have curving down on my right index finger, clubbing on my middle finger. I've had ulcers on the index finger and both of my 'little' fingers. My cuticles are and have been for several years - hard and difficult to keep in check and my nails are ridged. I go for PFT's and ECG's every year and have no heart or lung involvement. I've had x-rays of my hands, some of the bone on all the above fingers has disappeared, or 'resorbed'.

My acupuncturist advised me to soak my hands in castor oil at night and that has definitely helped my cuticles and nails. His suggestion was to wear cotton gloves soaked in castor oil, with rubber gloves over top, to bed. I find that too hot and uncomfortable, so I do it for about an hour before bed. I've only been doing it for about a week but my cuticles are not hard, and my nails are losing the yellowy tinge.

Margo, I think that's not true "clubbing" if it's only on one finger. True clubbing comes from a systemic problem (heart-lung problems) so it affects all the fingers simultaneously. Here are pictures of true clubbing: https://www.google.com/search?q=finger+clubbing&client=firefox-a&hs=tSj&rls =org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=szHDUarcOPe54AO77I Aw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1213&bih=578 .

The curving or clubbing of the fingernails is most often the result of hypoxia (decreased oxygen).

Cindy1976, I think that's right, and that's why true clubbing from lung or heart disease is systemic and affects all the nails.

Then what is it if clubbing only affects a few fingers, mainly the pointer. Now that I think of it, my pointer is the only one that gets numb and tingly when my Raynauds kicks in. Wonder if there is a connection.

Phoebe44, what are you defining as clubbing? Clubbing is an enlargement in the ends of the fingers. And generally "watchglass" nails go along with it. If its just curled nails, then that's not clubbing. The usual thing in scleroderma is just the opposite: resorption of the bones and soft tissues at the ends of the fingers. It's called acro-osteolysis.

Here are pictures of clubbing due to heart/lung problems: https://www.google.com/search?q=finger+clubbing&client=firefox-a&hs=wlC&rls =org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XVbHUbzvLvGs4AO76Y CICg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=999&bih=578 .

Here are pictures of acro-osteolysis: https://www.google.com/search?q=acro-osteolysis&client=firefox-a&hs=w8r&rls =org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8VbHUYjWBYHB4APCr4 DAAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=999&bih=578 /

It could be possible to have both, in which I suppose some fingers might look more clubbed than others. Here's an example at http://images.rheumatology.org/viewphoto.php?imageId=3370667&albumId=75696 , but you see it's referred to as pseudoclubbing.

Here's an image of both clubbing, combined with acro-osteolysis, and this time it's referred to as clubbing, rather than pseudoclubbing because all of the fingers show the clubbing.

Apparently hypertrophic osteoarthropathy can also cause both clubbing and acro-osteolysis, but here again all the fingers were clubbed: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/390998-overview .

Hmm, I have clubbing in just certain fingers on my right its my thumb, pointer and the one next to it plus the nail issue and becomes hard to trim and then on my left its just my thumb and my pointer finger. Just seen a heart surgeon and had a PFO closure and he said may help with the clubbing. I also have interstitial lung disease and pulmonary fibrosis my PFTs aren't bad but still have the nail issue and clubbing

My nails are curved downward also (it started in my index finger and gradually spread to my whole hand) and I have swollen fingers I thought it was the first signs of sclerodactyly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCPhfUiSSv8

I have clubbing due to Pulmonary Fibrosis, but my fingernails are not wide like the pictures...the nails have just become high arched and curving downward. Kind of makes my hand look like a claw :(

Exactly, mine do not look like the pics either. Fingernail curves downward, mostly my pointer. The ends of my fingers are thicker but not like the pics, yet I hope. Makes it hard to do things like text on my phone and other small things. DaisyDo, I love your info. makes me think that its maybe a Sclero. thing because its not all fingers. Drs do not have any explanations, That's why I come here!!!

Gross, I hope that is not in my future. I have the curling nails, ridges and some clubbing, but not as bad as these. Being thankful for what I don't have.

I've been on lisinopril for a long time. maybe is why I have less of this happening to my hands. Still have swelling, clubbing , ridge and curved nails like claws and lung involvement, butnot like the pics I saw on posted by Daisy. being thankful..again

In my June 23rd at 4:29 PM post, I accidentally left out the image that should follow the next to last paragraph, illustrating true clubbing in combination with acro-osteolysis.

That paragraph should read, "Here's an image of both clubbing, combined with acro-osteolysis, and this time it's referred to as clubbing, rather than pseudoclubbing because all of the fingers show the clubbing. http://www.springerimages.com/Images/RSS/1-10.1007_s00296-009-0895-6-1 .

Incidentally, Acro-osteolysis, caused by scleroderma, shortens the fingers, starting with the terminal finger bones first. Then other more proximal finger bones can also be shortened.

Here are some radiographs and pictures showing the shortening of the fingers, or at least the terminal finger bones, by scleroderma, but without clubbing: https://www.google.com/search?q=scleroderma+acro-osteolysis&client=firefox- a&hs=TO9&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-FnIUe _5JK-44APAm4Bw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1213&bih=578

magpie12..I also saw very quick results when I began taking Lisinopril and now that I have started on Revatio the results are even better..no way to repair the already done damage, but it does seem to have stopped it in it's tracks for the moment!

What causes my thumb nails to loosen and move independently of the tip of the fingertip when wiggled?
I also have the curved nails and probably some clubbing with lung issues.
Also ulcers that are scabbed over with black large scabs-the scabs usually come off after many months-they are not infected or draining.

My nails have ridges and splits, most are curved, and thick. I have no cuticles...........also no finger prints.( Had to get over-ride on my drivers license)....can't make fist or pick anything up, skin swollen and hard, Raynaud's pretty severe.........have serious heart issues, lungs clear always. Three years into Sclero, Just another day .

I have had curling on 3 of my fingernails for many years now and do not have any lung issues.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders