Curious about Skin Tightening on hands and face

Hi everyone,

I have a "What happens when...." question for those of you that have been through many of the stages of this disease.

The tight skin on your face and hands and/or feet, was is a slow progression or did it seem as though you woke up one day with tight skin? I seem to be living through a slow evolution, watching my hands change every couple of days but my rheumatologist says that the sclerodactyly of the hands does not appear in patches, it encompasses the entire hand and up the arm. My face feels like a mask, I can tell it's changing but not my mouth yet.

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to describe their experience with this hallmark symptom of limited scleroderma.

Thanks!

10 replies. Join the discussion

Well , you have to remember that we all are so different. That is one of the frustrating things about this disease. My hand and face tightening was the only skin involvement that I had for many years. This past year, it has spread up my arms, my trunk, and my back. The skin gets very itchy. Make sure you use a mild soap, and a very good moisterizer. It seems like everyone has the one that works for them. I started using cetaphyl to wash my body, and Eucerin body cream for dry itchy skin. The best so far for me.
I hope this helps
Good Luck

my hands are the worst. No patches. Just overall swelling and tightness with pain in the joints. It's difficult to make a fist and I've lost all strength in both hands. I was finally diagnosed in October 2010. My face feels tight especially when smiling but I see no difference when looking in the mirror. I actually feel a tightness all over my body but I have no "patches" of hardening skin.

I know how you feel, loosing the strength and having pain in your hands. I am on a very strong pain medication (for pain elsewhere in my body also). Besides meds. I did find that when I put my hands in parrafin wax and left the wax on for 10 min., it really helped with my hand movements. You can find the the parrafin wax system at Walmart, Walgreens and many other stores. Maybe it would help you too? I hope so, it feels so good when that heat is going through your hands.

The tightening happened gradually but over a period of months. I had it everywhere except my lower legs and back. My face has loosened up a lot lately but it seems to go back and forth. It will tighten then loosen then tighten again. My hands stay pretty much the same. The skin on my thighs and body has loosened up a little also. My doctor told me that our skin is constantly regenerating so we can expect changes. Hope this helps.

HI ,I HAVE SKIN THICKING ALL OVER MY BODY FOR 9 YEARS, THE SKIN IN MY NECK ,CHEST ,TOP OF MY LEGS SOFTENED A LITTLE ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO .ALL MY BODY GOT HARD ,REALLY HARD IN6 MONTHS,I AM ON METHOTRAXATE 25 MG ONCE A WEEK, I GUESS THATS WHAT MADE IT SOFT, MY FACE IS STILL GETTING TIGHT MY LIPS R GETTIN WAY SMALLER BIG WRINKLES IN MY CHIN I AM NOT TO PLEASED WITH MY LOOK.....I THINK I AM AFTER GETTING USE TO MY SKIN PULLING FROM THE TIGHTNESS, THE DR SAYS PEOPLE LEARN TO ADAPT TO THE PAIN, HOPE U FEEL BETTER

the first sign I had was that my hands were swollen when I woke up in the AM. Dr. didn't believe me because when I would see him in the afternoon, they were OK. He never did believe me but decided carpel tunnel and sent me to orthopedics who immediately sent me to a rheumatologist. My hands kept swelling and tightening for a couple of months. Then suddenly, I was able to pick up a little bit of loose skin on the back of the hands. they continued to get looser altho to date, I can't make a fist. this was 1995 and none of the current meds were used. So i was basicly on nothing.

I felt the skin tightening in my face first especialy when I smile, my hands are red and swallen and I have pain in my hands that is hard to explain. I also lost the strenght in my hands but for now those are the only areas that are affected.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. This disease is such a mystery and impacts each of us so differently. It's so nice to know I'm not alone.

Do try Massage ,excercise if you can,use mild body wash, and above all at least twice a day moisturize your face and body,This is all you can do in that field??
Just make that extra effort even though it can be a chore...Casagrande.

I have not experienced tighting in my hands but have had red and swollen hands. I actually have tighting in my legs. I have linear discoloration in my legs and the skin is so tight over the bone at night it is painful because of the tightness and having been working on them all day.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders