Curcumin anyone?

After a ton of research I started my wife on curcumin about a month ago. It is an ingredient in turmeric. A number of studies have shown it to be anti-inflammatory. It is also anti-bacterial. It appears subjectively that her fingernails now have less clubbing and her hands look better to me as well. Anyone else out there trying a similar therapy?

6 replies. Join the discussion

May I ask what it is exactly AND at what dosage or regime she is taking it?

Thank you !!

I use turmeric in cooking(Its the yellow spice) in curry powder. I also use cumin and coriander in cooking. These are all used in Indian cooking. I try to add a little to my recipes. They are all antiinflammatorys. I think that they help me. I have CREST and have been sick for the past 10 years. So far my Dr. says I have a mild case, so I must be doing something right. My skin has softened up this year and my sleep is better. I still have aches and pains and fatigue but I sofar dont have any organ involvement. One thing about these spices is that they can thin the blood. So people who have bleeding issues, or are on certain blood thinning medications, should be very cautious. Wishing you the best.

I-Care
Robin

She is on Super bio curcumin from Life Extension. Low bioavailability is a problem. This formulation uses something called BGM-95, which, in tests, increases bioavailability by as much as 7 fold. She is taking about 400 mg per day, which is actually probably not enough.

I spoke with Dr. Aggarwal at Anderson Cancer Center at University of Texas and a leading authority on curcumin. He recommended moving up to 2 gram s per day over time for a minimum of 3 months to get results. In numerous studies, people have been given up to 8 grams per day with no side effects or demonstrated toxicity (though some had diarrhea at large dosages and 8 grams is a lot). There are over 50 studies underway, though none for scleroderma. Most are for various forms of cancer including pancreatic and liver and multiple myeloma.

Your doctor is most likely to be concerned about potential toxicity, which would show up with higher liver enzyme readings. The fact that curcumin is being tested for liver cancer and the large number of studies wiithout any toxicity should eliminate your doctor's concerns about this as a potential issue.

Curcumin may act as a blood thinner (similar to fish oil). If you are on Coumadin or other blood thinners, curcumin could be problematic.

Dr. Aggarwal created the following web site with more info on curcumin

http://www.curcuminresearch.org/

Good luck

Cooking with turmeric provides little benefit or no unless you've used it three meals a day all your life. There is very little curcumin in turmeric, plus it is oil soluable, not water soluable, and not very available to the body. Cumin is a different thing altogether, as you probably know.

Many users take a curcumin supplement (95 percent or higher) with piperine or quercitin to boost the bio-availability of the curcumin. I chose Doctor's Best c complex with piperine, but I am not a doctor or medical authority or expert, just my experience.

Margaret's Corner is a blog by a woman who has used curcumin extensively to stabilize smoldering or active multiple myeloma. She has compiled a ton of research on curcumin.

I know alot about turmeric and I have never heard it has no benefit when used in cooking unless used all of your life.. It has only been recently that vitamin companys have been selling the curcumin to the public. I have been using turmeric for many years mainly for the flavoring. Researches found out that the people in India had less Heart and liver diseases than other places. The reasons are because of their diets(low in animal products, eating more fresh vegetables and the use of turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger and garlic) . By using the spices in cooking rather than supplements you can control the amount you use. Too much can cause bleeding problems, just like ginger. It has been scientically proven that turmeric is a natural antiseptic, good digestive tonic and blood and liver purifier. Cumin is a digestive tonic and it absorbs excess water in intestine and inhibits gas formation. There are many spices that help with preventing disease, and strengthening the body, like paprika,ginger,cinnamon , and rosemary just to name a few. As far as cooking with it, you can add it to anything. You can fry with it, use in salad dressings, or mix with warm milk and honey. I have had my autoimmune disorder for over 10 years, and I believe my diet including turmeric has helped with my inflammation and I am very fortunate that I have had no organ involvement over the years. It is entirely up to an individual on what treatment he wants to pursue to help with their diseases. I only offer information that have researched and that has helped me. Sometimes people tend to use too much of a good thing. More is not always better. I wish everyone the very best.

Here's some additional research, if you are interested.
http://margaret.healthblogs.org/

another source (you may already have found) is to sign up for a free google alert on any subject you are interested in. You can get results daily, weekly or monthly. You put in the word or phrase and you get an update with links to current articles, organized into sections for scholarly/blogs/advertising etc.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders