Crooked fingers?

Crooked fingers?

Hello everyone. I just noticed that my middle finger on both of my hands are slightly crooked and pointing outward just a bit and the knuckles on them are wider than the others? Is that how it generally start out for people who have problems with there hands? Is this generally related to our arthritis or the Scleroderma?

8 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Lady;
That is because the ligaments that hold your fingers in position are starting to harden and are pulling them out of alighnment.Looks like the hardening is happening more on one side than the other.

Remember, scleroderma means hard skin. In most cases the ligaments, muscles tendons etc become shortened as the skin tightens and limits the ROM.

I've been having a difficult time lately with both the range of motion in my hands and circulation. Been dropping eveything (pens, keys, water bottle caps, etc) almost to where it's comical when it happens repeatedly. Also, something I've written about before in discussions, is my hands are displaying some pretty nasty shades of purplish-blue or bright white. A couple of yrs ago it occurred below 30 degrees, over this past winter 50's, today was mid 70-s..... Every days' a learning experience. Be well.

Wow, I just said the same thing at work the other day. I looked at my hands and the right is worst than the left. The middle finger is pointing to the outside, it is crooked, much more than the right, I wondered the same thing as you. I even asked the girls at work to show me there fingers so I could compare. I never thought it could be the scleroderma harding the ligaments and making them out of alignment. I thought of the RA, but this does make sense because my hands are always very inflamed and red. I have to say, I love this site. There is never a day that goes by that I learn something from this web site which has been so very helpful since the beginning of my dx.
Thanks to you all,
Susie

Yes, mine are exactly like this. It is somewhat more pronounced on my right hand, but apparent on both. I have the Sclero antibodies and take Plaquenil. This helps with the hand pain, but I have lost alot of my strength in my hands.

Yes...I have sclero and RA for about 26 years and it started pretty early with the crooked fingers and for me it started with the middle finger and on my right side more than my left over the last 10 years my hands have continued to crunch in...it seems my pinkies were the last to pull in....that has been pulling for the last year or two. Its a slow process but boy oh boy it never ceases to amaze me!! I actually thought I was out of the major "woods" because at 20+ years no really major problems....it just seemed like I was dealing with the original onset of this stuff...hardening and such and PF in my lungs. My doctor in 2000 actually wrote me a "life expectancy letter" so that we were able to adopt a child from China and my prognosis at that time was great!! But in 2007 I had a lung collapse (called BLEBS) And my life forever changed!! I now require O2 and my prognosis is not great. Just be as good as you can to your body...if it's happening on the outside something "probably" is happening on the inside!! God Bless...~kim

I have crooked finger, mine are called claw hands, they are bent downward. They are hard, but I learned to cope with them. I have had scleroderma for 14 yrs.

I have had CREST for about 3 years. I first noticed my index finger on my right hand was pointing outwards and then my little finger was pointing inwards. It got to the point where both hands became claw hands. I was sent to the Physio and they made up splints to straighten the fingers at night. However the splints were so hard and uncomfortable I couldn't sleep so I took to not wearing them. A friend of mine who is an Occupational Therapist made up some new splints with neoprene which were a lot better. However I broke the splints! At the same time I started taking Vitamin D and noticed a rapid improvement in the curling of my fingers. I went back to my friend to have some new splints made up and she said I didn't need them because my hands were nearly straight!

As far as white and purple on your hands those are classic symptons of poor circulation and Raynauds. Over the long term untreated Raynauds can do a lot of damage to your fingers. But they are loads of solutions for Raynauds.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders