Crippled fingers

I see all my fingers are bent. Anybody in here had or has the same situation? If yes, what can I do about it?

28 replies. Join the discussion

Mine have curled into a claw shape. I am about to see a physical therapist who will make me some sort of stretching device. I tell you what, I can't take any more pain in my hands, so she's better not come up with something that hurts!!!

Most everyone with scleroderma has bent fingers. The best thing you can do is to exercise them every day to loosen them up. You don't want your fingers to end up in a claw-like position.

You can find exercises on the Scleroderma Foundation website and/or by googling for the information. Also, if occupational therapy is an option, I would strongly recommend that you find a good therapist.

I sleep with resting splints that my PT. made for me 7 years ago .My hands are in a large C not closed and I do not have total grip but my hands are useable.If I can not do something I either have my family help me or I have little divices to help me , electric bottle opener,rubber grips ect.I have horses and I always use leather gloves to give me some grip .

My hands are pretty messed up. The kids at school call them statue hands. I have been doing OT for over a year and while that has not helped the shape it has helped the strength. My OT uses a technique called Myofacial release. ( I am not sure of the spelling) She was highly recommended to me by other OTs in the area. It is very gentle and has made me feel much more comfortable. I also wear splints. Surgery seems to be out because of the reynuands.

what's ot?

ot is occupational therapy. They specialize in hands and practical living skills of rehab.

I did the hand therapy thing for a few years but that didn't stop my fingers from curling into a fist unfortunately. Ultimately I had finger fusions done. This is where they fuse your fingers into a position of rest. They are very workable this way. I can drive and write. Tough to pick things up however. For that I have my service dog, Shaemus. He's my new hands. The finger fusions are done through operations (I've had 4) and I am glad I did them. really reduced the ulcerations too because your knuckled aren't stretched so taut. Hang in there!

Hello.
I'm Cassie.. I'm 14 years old.
I started my issues with systemic scleroderma 2 years ago...

since then my hands have turned to almost a ball and back. my fingers curled for a while... by the time a reached turning point... I couldn't hold my hand strait.. it wasn't that it hurt... it just wouldn't bend back.. kinda like the feeling an average person gets when they stretch their hand back to the maximum extent...

my docter, the head of Childrens Hospital - Rheumatology Department, tried something different and put me in hand braces that people use after a stroke... it is in one general hand shape... but has a slight spring in it... I wore the braces, one at a time (of i used both at once i couldn't open my door or anything) at night while sleeping... during the day i would just spend time watching tv and stuff just working my muscles... like attempting to straiten my hand...

now I'm almost perfectly back to normal... we figure my scleroderma is in remission... I can bend my hands into a preying position.. but i can't over-extend yet...

I hope you found this useful in some way...
good luck. :D

thanks a lot everybody I will try the suggestions to see how they turn out.

I have the same problem and would be interested in the replies that you get.

Makeaba

I have a doctor appointment with my primary doctor, I will try to ask him to put me on hands brace to see. But good luck to you. Hopefully the suggestions will work out for both of us.

Where about on the scleroderma website?

Makeaba

I didn't understand the question

Try this link for occupational therapy slides:

Occupational Therapy and Scleroderma
http://www.scleroderma.org/national_conference/2007/2007conference_handouts .shtm

Physical Therapy Intervention
http://www.scleroderma.org/national_conference/2006/2006conference_handouts .shtm

A GOOD MOISTURIZER AND STRETCHING IS WHAT I LEARNED FROM MY OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST.

Is it working so far?

IT DOES HELP BUT YOU HAVE TO DO IT EVERYDAY!!

I had the same problem, the only thing that seemed to help, and rather quickly, was PUVA therapy. This is light therapy, kinda like stepping into a tanning booth, you take a medicine psolaren that helps to break-down collagen that is the reason why your fingers are curling.

How are your fingers now?

Mine are all bent too. I am supposed to go to a therapist and have her make a splint to wear, but right now the fingers don't hurt too much. You know I don't want to do anything to make them hurt more.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders