COMING OFF SEROQUEL

I have been taking 150 mg of Seroquel at night for sleep.
The worst side effect is hot flashes and I want to come off this medication. Afraid doctor will not prescribe another
medicine to help me sleep while I am cutting down on the
Seroquel. Looking for suggestions from people who have gone through this. Appreciate knowing what meds can be taken with the Seroquel.

Tyijer

8 replies. Join the discussion

Seroquel is in my opinion, a horrible drug which can cause anything from insulin resistance to neurological problems...please make sure your doctor helps you taper down and whatever you do, don't stop it abruptly because the withdrawal symptoms (dizzines, "brain zaps", extreme fatigue, etc) can not only be bothersome but also dangerous. Have you tried tempazepam, ambien, ambien CR, lunesta, trazodone, or even some good old benadryl? Best of luck to you!

HopefulToo,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I've been on the drugs you mention except not Trazodone for years. The Tempazepam was so horrible it gave me sinus problems, increased sweating, hunger and weight gain, extreme fatigue and a sore throat...and that was just 10 mg ! Benadryl never makes me tired. I took two Ambien CR for a long time - very helpful while it lasted. I have relocated and am in new country trying to learn their health care system and after 10 years, repeating the search for the right doctors. It is very frustrating, not to mention, exhausting. The past 6 months have me almost convinced that Fibromyalgia and CFS are not taken seriously here.
Tyijer

Sorry to hear that :( If you don't mind my asking, where do you live now? I have the same experience with Benadryl, but let's hope that there could be something else out there...I realize this sounds simple but what about herbal teas for night-time? Insomnia is something I fear tremendously - luckily I have now been on Lunesta 3 mg for a month and so far so good, but I have personally tried every one of the drugs I mentioned (including seroquel - which among other things made me gain 30 lbs) so I can understand your frustration...is it pain that's keeping you from sleeping? Take care!

HopefulToo,
It is not pain that keeps me from sleeping. Almost all Fibromyalgia patients have extremely high adrenalin (proven by blood test). The only way to deal with high adrenalin is exercise or the blood pressure medicine Clonidine which I WAS on but the new doctors took me off of. The major problem is getting the brain into stage 4 sleep, the restorative, healing sleep that allows the body to repair for the next day. Fibro patients could sleep 20 hours out of every 24 and still be exhausted without stage 4 sleep. That's CATCH 22. My physiatrist back in the states is one of the leading Fibro doctors in the country.
He had me on a combo of drugs that worked for years. Unfortunately, some of those drugs are not available.
Tyijer

Sounds like you need a sleep study if you haven't had one! Obstructive sleep apnea can be associated with sclero, and I have a severe case of it. Absolutely can't sleep at all without my CPAP machine!

Was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea years ago and recently was retested with same results. I never noticed a difference using the CPAC machine. Wish that was the answer but afraid it is not. Getting the brain into stage 4
sleep as we cycle throughout the night is problem numero
uno!

Hi if you want to taper off here is a great website that has helped me when they put me on Effexer sp? anyway check it out and be careful. If you taper to quickly you can have a seizure. I take Trazadone 50mg - 100 mg at sleep time and it works great! I don't seem to have jet lag the next day from it. But, I will tell you that it is also used for anti depressant as well as a sleep aid. And you have to get it from your doc. Sounds like your getting some nasty side effects from yours. I wish well in your search :)
hummingbird7954

hummingbird,
Thanks for your input. You reminded that I took Trazodone (Desyrel) many years ago and it was helpful. I will talk to my doctors about it for sleep.
tyijer

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders