cocoanut oil

I have never cooked with cocoanut oil....does everything pick up a cocoanut flavor?

13 replies. Join the discussion

no, it won't taste like coconut. I make lye soap and love the oil. You can also eat it straight, not a bad flavor, and you can rub it straight into dry skin. Love the stuff.

where can u buy coconut oil cheep. it was $10 at wegmans. is it a oil or a solid?

I buy mine on line at Nutiva.com.
They have a few sizes that you can buy. I have heard it is now available in some stores like Trader Joes and Whole Foods.
Just make sure it's Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I have bought some before at our Kroger, which is defiantly not the same.
I use it for many things, I put on my back scrubber when showering, makes my back not itch so much. Then all over when I get done showering. Of course it's used when cooking also.

I use coconut oil. It does not change the flavor of your other food. It is a very neutral oil. It is a solid. Costco has it cheaper than our grocery stores or whole foods. And yes you can use it on your skin too,

This might give you more information than you wanted, but it is good: http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-choose-a-good-coconut-oil/

"A refined coconut oil is usually rather tasteless and odorless" - this is better if you want no hint of coconut flavor. I love coconut, so I usually get unrefined = typically labeled “virgin” or “extra-virgin.”

If you buy coconut oil, you need to get unrefined oil that is cold pressed. It is a saturated fat and if you buy refined you get the unhealthy fat. I get mine at mountainroseherbs.com. They have pure oils that are good for you. There is a lot of good research about cold pressed coconut oil and the health benefits.

I get mine from Trader Joe's. I use it to scramble eggs, saute vegetables, make pancakes (for my family). It is my standard oil. I use it on my skin and hair, along with shea butter.

Blessings.

What I can get at my grocery store is organic unrefined. I will have to check out exactly what costco's is.

Oh - you may also want to know that coconut oil melts at 76 degrees. So it will be solid (similar to butter) in the grocery store - but if it is warmer in your car/home it will melt and be like oil. It's still good, but you may want to store it someplace that it doesn't keep melting and rehardening.

I buy Nature's Way Efa Gold at Amazon. It's extra virgin Organic and you do not taste it when using it
for cooking. I keep one jar in the bathroom and one jar in the kitchen. Love, love, love it!
And yes it does melt at 76 degrees but that does not effect it in anyway! Good luck!
Oh and it will keep for 25 years!

It's great stuff! Along with cooking and eating it straight (put it in smoothies), like others I also use it for skin care - but taking it a bit further. I don't have sclero, I have RA and now possibly fibro and connective tissue disease, have always been super sensitive to chemicals and after recently "failing" MTX skin can no longer tolerate any body products that aren't 100% natural (so many of the so called natural products in stores still have ingredients that are bad for you!). So I started making my own, and coconut oil is used in many - everything from healing salves to lip balm to natural deodorant (wow, works better than any comerical deodorant I ever bought.. lasts 24 hours and I don't "stink" at all and I live in hot humid New Orleans with no AC!, facial and body scrubs (so easy - just sugar or salt or used coffee grounds and oil! and no, it actually doesn't leave your skin greasy - in fact, my skin is looking better than ever - google sugar scrubs and you'll find tons of recipes, other oils you can use too, olive, grapeseed, sunflower - all have different properties/good for different skin types - like people said above you want to look for virgin/cold pressed or at least expeller pressed, learn about essential oils to combine with the coconut/olive/sunflower, etc. oils, which are known as "carrier oils" for additional medicinal/health benefits). Now starting on making my own all natural cosmetics. Actually starting to turn it into a business :)

No, you wont taste or smell coconut.. be sure to get the non-hydrolyzed .. I put on skin and put a good amount on hair for 45 min and wash really well.. equals shiny hair!

It's about 10 every where from what I find.. but it lasts long, long time!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders