Can I take dexamethasone (steroids) when I have scleroderma?

I was taking hydrocortisone for about 2 weeks (I didn't know that I have scleroderma), and and I felt a lot better on it. I would like to go on dexamethasone, but I'm afraid that my doc don't put me on this drug :f I've read that steroids are not used in scleroderma. Is that true? Thanks.

7 replies. Join the discussion

My doctor prefers that i try to stay away from steroids, but she has put me on them before, just not long term. They do help tho with alot of joint pain and inflmation, i also take them sometimes when my astma is action up real bad. So i say just talk to your doc about it.. but there could be a difften med that would work just as good, it took me lots of diffrent meds, playing around with what works and what does not. Also everyone is diffrent, and SD if very diffrent for everone, so what works for one, might not work for another.. I wish you luck..
take care
Hope

My doctor tried to keep me on limited steroids by doing 2 weeks tapering doses. IT worked great, but when I came off, I would flare back up within days. After two tapers with flares after, i am now on 15mg daily, until my cell cept level gets up enough to control my symptoms. I hope to decrease to 10mg this week, and maybe to 5mg daily in another few weeks. If I don't flare up, I may be off the steroids by Christmas? That is my hope. Nothing helps me as much as the prednisone.

Thanks for the reply. I was at the doctor and he gave me prednisolone and another anti-inflammatory drug. I'm taking 5 mg prednisolone 2x a day. I feel much better, I have more energy and better mood. I hope that everything will be fine :) greetings!

Hi miko84,

I have SD and was put on prednisolone for 6 weeks after having my parotid gland removed (had a tumor in the gland). The Pred made me feel wonderful even though I had 40 stiches in my neck and face. It is a wonderful drug but is not recommended in most cases for long term use. You have to be really careful with getting your liver and kidney function monitored whilst taking it.
I wish I could take it every day without side effects, but its not a possibility. After 6 weeks my kidney & liver function was not as good as it was in the beginning. Just make sure you keep an eye on that.
I hope you are feeling well and the mds are working for you..
Much Love xx

Hi miko84,

I have SD and was put on prednisolone for 6 weeks after having my parotid gland removed (had a tumor in the gland). The Pred made me feel wonderful even though I had 40 stiches in my neck and face. It is a wonderful drug but is not recommended in most cases for long term use. You have to be really careful with getting your liver and kidney function monitored whilst taking it.
I wish I could take it every day without side effects, but its not a possibility. After 6 weeks my kidney & liver function was not as good as it was in the beginning. Just make sure you keep an eye on that.
I hope you are feeling well and the mds are working for you..
Much Love xx

Thank you :) I will test my liver and kidneys for some time.

As the others mentioned it is important that you have your kidneys and liver function tests taken consistently while on steroids but they are sometimes needed.

I have SSc and have been on steroids from very low doses to 80 mgs when I have had pericarditis and pleusiry. My pain management doctor calls it the medication you love to hate...as it helps so much and can even save our lives and at the same time can harm us if misused.

I hope you will do well with your steroid use.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders