calcium nodule inside of foot

I have limited system scleroderma with, diagnosed 2010. I developed a calcium deposit (about 1/3 inch diameter) inside the ball of my foot. The lump couldn't be seen from the outside. It was very painful, and was removed surgically. Has anyone else had a similar experience? So far it hasn't reoccurred.

Reply Report post

10 replies. Join the discussion

Did it show up in an x-ray? I have had a sore place on the ball of my foot and suggested that it might be cal dep but the foot dr said no. It really keeps me from walking as much as I would like.

Reply Report post

Yes, calcinosis will do that to you. I've had at least 5 surgeries on my feet. From under each heel I've had large calcium pads removed. The doctor called them hockey pucks. And they were almost that big! Have had calcium deposits removed from under some toes, have had a joint taken out of each toe. My big toes are now fused. Had calcium deposits removed from beside the left little toe. Under my left heel I have two very painful spurs now. The podiatrist doesn't want to remove them. I may contact my plastic surgeon again to see if he can do it and do skin grafting. He's done that to my right heel and to both knees. From the knees he removed about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick calcium pads, the size of the knee caps. Then he had to do skin grafting. He grafted them with artificial skin. Some of my surgeries (and I've had many on my arms and hands) were done by orthopaedic surgeons. For the last 10 years or so, I've had to have custom made orthotics in my shoes. That's the only way I can be on my feet. I get calcium deposits wherever there's pressure-even on my ears, since I'm a side sleeper. The little finger on my right hand is giving me a bad time for months already. It gets pressure when I write! Wish there was some research being done to deal with this problem, but I guess there aren't enough cases to warrant the effort and expense. There can also be internal calcification, which would be even worse, I'd think. So far it hasn't given me trouble, although the CT scans show some. Wish you good luck in dealing with this problem.

Reply Report post

Don't want to wish the calcium deposits on anyone but I am glad not to be alone and can share my experiences with all of you. I have had deposits on elbows, hands, knee, feet and just recently they were found in my neck. I have had four surgeries to have them taken out of my left hand. They keep coming back with a vengeance. This past July had a deposit taken out of the pad of my left foot. I may be paranoid, but I feel they are all over my body and they are only showing up where the docs decide to do xrays, ultrasound, or MRIs. I also have them on the tips of both ear lopes. Thus the reason I can't sleep and I am up at 2 am now. My hands, elbows, feet, ears, all over my body I hurt. I agree that wherever your body experiences pressure, our wacked out immune system sends the calcium to that area of our bodies and we know we don't need our immune system to do that. Ugh, so frustrating. Just took me about 10 minutes to type his because of my bad fingers full of calcium or numb from surgeries.

Reply Report post

Vicki, I feel so bad for you, because I know just what you're dealing with. Wish we lived near each other so we could compare our challenges, cry on each other's shoulder and encourage each other on our down days. Do you pick on your deposits? I do, even though we're not supposed to do that. But people who say that don't know how sharp those things can be and how painful that is. When they're close to the surface i dig them out. I use scalpels and a lot of alcohol swabs to avoid infection. Sometimes it's pretty painful and takes many tries, but when I'm successful, it's worth it to me. Of course, there are some I can't reach anyway. Glad you wrote, and hope to hear from you again. Keep up your courage!

Reply Report post

I have had 2 surgeries on a spot inside of my next to the little toe. The last dr said it was swet glands, on my bone, so he thought, causing a hard spot. I dig it out at least once a week for relief, so I can walk on it. Could it be calcium ? It forms a hard pebble type of spot that leaves a hole in my foot when I take it out. Dr's are not familiar with scleroderma, so they are guessing at what I have...hmmmm..idea's ? Would it show on an X-ray ? Help !

Reply Report post

Sure sounds like calcium to me! And yes, it would show up on xray. What you describe is just what I deal with--and do.

Reply Report post

Foot issues are so discouraging...I want to be able to walk.
I had a calcium lump on my little toe...really hurt. It was near the surface so the chiropodist could remove it. Now I have one that is too deep for her to touch but it seems to be reabsorbing.
I get corns at the bottom of my left foot...hurts until it is removed professionally. (Doing it myself leaves a hole but it grows back at once.) Because I have no padding (thanks to Scleroderma) I walk on bone.
I had surgery to remove part of the offending bone. It helped for almost 2 years but has come back in a difference spot so don't know what I will do.
I have no answers but it is good to know we are not alone in this.

Reply Report post

PJSammy, if you don't have orthotic insoles, please get them. I've had them for years. If I didn't, I'd be in a wheelchair. I don't like the heavy, clumsy shoes that usually go with orthotica, so I have them in Niki Air running or walking shoes. They work best for me. Also, I try to get the wide shoes, to avoid possible pressure. Since I need all the cushioning I can get, I wear only the "World's Softest Socks" brand. I order them on the internet. I too, have no padding and unless my calcium deposits and corns are removed surgically--usually in the hospital's outpatient clinic, they come back very quickly. The ones that are surgically removed come back too, but at least there's several years of reprieve. Since I've had so many surgeries on the bottom of my feet, I have constant callouses growing. So the podiatrist shaves them off once a month. I'm amazed at how good he is at that. These are the best answers I've come up with so far. If anyone else has helpful ideas, I'd sure love to hear them. Hope this may be helpful to some fellow sufferers!

Reply Report post

Thank you all for your input. When I told my rheumatologist about the calcium lump in my foot he said he didn't think it was the scleroderma. Now I know that's not likely the case! My foot lump did show up on xray. It's been gone for 2 years, and hasn't come back so far. I have had chunks of calcium show up in most places I've had xrays--including dental xrays that showed calcium in my neck. Also calcium in both hip bursae--very painful for years, inexplicably better now. Big lumps on the back of my forearms--plastic surgeon said it would be a messy surgery to remove and might not heal, even with skin grafts.

Reply Report post

Mitzvah, are you saying your calcium deposits go away on their own?

Reply Report post