Burning red knuckles

Hello~

My knuckles (index and middle fingers) on both hands are terribly red and they burn especially when warm water hits them in the shower. is this from the disease or medication (Planquinel)Sp?

Also, is there anything that helps with this?

Thank you,
EMG128

14 replies. Join the discussion

Or dry skin.

I went in to the rheumy this week, with red, burning hands, and the doc gave me some thick moisturizing cream and voila! no more itch and burn.

Not everything is scleroderma, evidently?

Mine is not dry skin tho.

My first knuckles on both hands from the knuckle to the tip of the finger are so swollen, red, on fire and killing me. The middle fingers are the worst but they are all bad, same for the end joints on my toes. I saw my rheumy last week. She ordered a ton of bloodwork 16 vials of blood to check for many things. I see her on the 9th for the results. I put my hands under running cold water for a few minutes to numb them up but not too long so as to make my raynauds pain worse than the joint pain. I am hoping it's a flare, I asked my rheumy, she said maybe, and she added that she has a few other ideas but needs the lab results to confirm. If I find out what it is I'll post back.

Please do Sophiebun, I need help with this bad and my doctor is a POS!

Thank you,
EMG128

Mine did that when i first found out that i had scleraderma. I did as you did, put them in cold water. But then my Raynauds kicked in and turned them blue. Now my fingers that were red and swollen are totalaly stiff. I can not move them. My bones have been been slowly disinagrating and now the calcium from my bones went into the swollen space. I found out yesterday that i went from CREST to Systemic Scleroderma. I have been for awhile now. But the DR did not even tell me. I found it out when i looked at my paper work. Kinda sucks because i read that only 55 % will last only 10 years. I pray that i have longer because i have a 13 year old son.

Hi Scorpio1964,

Hmmm, this sounds exactly like what is going on with me. I have noticed that my knee caps have gotten alot smaller and I am basically shrinking everywhere, my head, face, eyes, ears, nose, mouth and also see that my arms and legs are smaller. This brings me to a trivial question at this time and that is do I continue to take a calcium pill if it is not helping and possibly going to swollen spaces? I have a 14 year old daughter, so I completely understand your concerns.

EMG128

Hi Scorpio
it is scary and it sucks to have scleroderma. I just want to remind you that YOU are not a statistic. My symptoms started in 1999. The 1st few years were the most difficult - when the progression happened the quickest. I have been stable for a few years now. You can get through this and raise your son. You may have less energy and more pain, but you can still be a great mother.

I have the same issue with swollen red knuckles, particularly on fingers that are enlarged or that have digital ulcers. I am not sure whether or not it's dry skin, but vigorously applying lotion HAS helped. It took like two weeks, but I've seen a major difference. Sometimes I just glop lotion on, and other times I massage it into my knuckles. I've found the hand massages REALLY help, and on days where my hands are too stiff, I ask my boyfriend for assistance. Sometimes it hurts, honestly.

As an FYI, I use "Everyday Shea" Unscented lotion to avoid chemicals as lotions with fragrance tend to cause additional irritation and tightening.

Please do not stop taking your calcium . I take 3 a day . My Dr told me if i stop the calcium then my bones would dissinagrate much more faster . I also take vitamin D with them so my body can use it better. I want to thank you Yukon Nicole for your encouragement. We figured that i had it since i was born and just started to show more signs of it 4 years ago. I have had lost several babies due to this disease. I was told when i was 17 years old my Folic Acid was way down then , but the Dr was only a Family Doc so he never did anything. I am so very happy he retired because my new Dr is the one who found the Scleraderma and sent me to the RA.

This is so scary for me because I've noticed how much I've been shrinking lately. Over the past two years, I am one and a half times smaller. I am losing body fat and muscles all over. Also, my skin feels the same temperature as outside..meaning to touch, if it is hot my skins feels the same or when it's cold my skin feels the same. My vitamin level were normal last year when first tested. I did however, take a lot of fat out of my diet and healthier. Red meat doesn't digest - gastrologist says I need a stomach pacemaker, because food doesn't pass to stomach as it should. What my body needs is so opposite than what it will tolerate. I get so tired of trying to figure out what to do, but I will keep fighting. RA seems to be worse this year- lots of shoulder pain from cold front/ and AC.

Denial,
Sounds scary and no fun.
I wish you excellent care, and that you find the right kinds of foods and meds/vitamins that work for you. it is exhausting to deal with all of this - you are strong and resilient to keep up the fight. You can do this! You are not alone.
HAaappinessss, Nicole

I've noticed, too, that I've been losing weight steadily. I mean, I've been WANTING to, just not quite this fast. My fatigue 'takes over', too, in the afternoons at work. Do you know what's causing the weight loss? Do you work? I'm considering cutting back, due to this fatigue. I'm fighting to stay awake after lunch. I thought I might be a diabetic,or something. I was reading up on women and immune disorders. One thing to watch for with scleroderma/systemic is lymph node cancer. Can't believe everything you read, huh? I just associate my weight loss with 'Something else is going on'. Take care, LisaT

I was diagnosed in 1999, too. Raynaud was the first visible symptom, next swelling and skin tightening. Then RA became worst in wrist and knees and later skin darkening. Now, 2011 and 2012, my skin is loosening, lightening and swelling down (unless I eat a lot of sodium). I was thinking that my body was shrinking because of low sodium diet

Hi Bassetgirl
I stopped working to go on medical leave in 2003 and I never did return to full-time work. I do work part time at my own pace. I would be working a lot more if it wasn't for the fatigue. A few years ago I lost weight and up until recently it was difficult to gain weight. I am happy with my weight now. I would totally recommend cutting back on work if you can.
take care
HAaappinessss, Nicole

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders