burning feet at night

I´ve been diagnosticated with Crest since 2009. My feet burn only at night, especially when I am in bed or in a sofa, watching TV, but the point is : why that ? Why only at night and in those positions ? has anyone a scientific answer for that ? thanks for any answer !!

12 replies. Join the discussion

Well, I don't have the medical explanation for it, but I do know that neuropathy (nerve damage) symptoms are often worse at night and specifically it's often burning sensations in the feet. This is a common problem in diabetic neuropathy, but some people with scleroderma (especially if you also have the associated conditions of Sjogren's, cryoglobulinemia, or vasculitis) also get neuropathy. Why is it worse at night when lying down? I have no idea really, but perhaps it's related to your circulation?

If it's bothersome, you might be able to ask for a referral to a neurologist for an exam. He/she can test the nerves in your feet with a tool that vibrates at high frequencies. They touch it to your feet and legs and see what frequencies you can feel. It's painless. There's also a test called a nerve conduction velocity test which is longer and slightly painful that can diagnose specific types of nerve damage, but it's probably not necessary unless your neurologist can't figure out what's going on with you.

There are drugs that can help if you need them like Gabapentin.

Zoe

I too have the same problem. I was diagnosed in 2006 with crest. This past summer doctors have included fibromyalgia, cardiomyopathy, degenerative arthritis, and a leaky valve in the heart. About a month ago, I started feeling a burning, tingly feeling in both legs and feet when I went to bed at night. I am not diabetic, so I have know idea what it is. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Dear Zoe
I am so happy about your reply, I had never thought before about neuropathy, I am going to see a neurologist, thanks very much. Now I remember I did a neuro test on my hands and fingers but not on my feet.
Feet are so important and sometimes we use forget them.
I am loving this site because I´ve leant much, God bless you my dear.

Lyrics

Grandmajanny, it can still be neuropathy even if you don't have diabetes. That is the most common cause of nerve damage, but there are other causes. Poor circulation can cause nerves to become damaged if their blood supply is reduced. Inflammation can cause your tissues to swell and press against the nerves causing injury. Doctors I've spoken with say that scleroderma on its own does not cause neuropathy, but I have to question this because there are so many people on this board who do have it. I read in Dr. Mayes' The Scleroderma Book that most of the time when people with scleroderma have neuropathy it is caused by inflammation of the blood vessels supplying the nerves.

I would see a neurologist for an assessment since the tingling/burning sensations in your feet sound very much like nerve damage.

Zoe

Hi Lyrics,
I also get that terrible burning at night. The nueorologist tested me, came back as nueropothy. I found that 2 things help. One is to put a pillow under your legs at night, above your knees, that helps. Lately I have been rolling over sideways when the pain starts, that seems to help also. I know this keeps you awake at night, I hope this helps.

Thanks, Barbara, I´ll try do that, i feel better too when I put the feet up awards, but I´ll investigate it with a neuro.
thanks very much !

lyrics

Lyrics, my hands and feet burn worse in the evening and at night also. But to me, they feel slightly better if I raise them.

I have the same thing. It's worst in the evening and at night, but I can get it during the day too. I've been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, but not scleroderma because my antibodies are negative. I'm not diabetic. I've had a NCV and EMG, both of which are painful. I'm on Gabapentin (Neurontin), which helps.
Zoe, what causes the inflammation, and how can it be reduced?
I've wondered if changes in air pressure might make it worse.

Yessssssss, Daisydo, I use arise them and I feel better but it´s an unconfortable position ! Thanks once more

Thanks Dennis, I am noting these medicines !

Dennis81, if it's inflammation causing your neuropathy then you can take anti-inflammatory medications. There are some over-the-counter ones (check with your doctor first) and also some prescription strength ones. One of the more common ones for reducing inflammation is Prednisone (a steroid), but it has some serious side effects especially if you may have scleroderma because of the increased potential for damage to your kidneys. Taking fish oil is supposed to reduce inflammation as well. Some people swear by an anti-inflammatory diet that removes dairy, sugar, and gluten. You can do a search on the Inspire Scleroderma site for more information about the diet since it's been discussed quite a lot.

Zoe

Hi Zoe
I was on Arava, so i had problems with my kidneys and i now i am on D PENICILAMINA. i am going to see a neurologist in other to treat this neuropath. Thanks very much !

lyrics

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders