Another question for the ladies out there...

Have any of you seen a decline or halt in hair growth, sorry so personal but I dont know who else to ask. I havent been able to find anything online connecting AI to this but I used to need to shave my under arms at least twice a week or more in summer and my legs at least weekly. I cant even remember the last time I needed to shave.

Lori

23 replies. Join the discussion

As a male, perhaps I shouldn't answer this but I will anyway. I've read that SD can destroy hair follicles. I use to have lots of hair on my legs but they are smooth now. The odd thing though is that I have some wild hairs in my beard that are almost impossible to cut. They are all white and neither safety razors nor electric razors wants to cut them. Here's a link to info about SD and thinning hair.
http://www.scleroderma.org/medical/frequent-questions/thinning-hair.htm

Wow i didnt know that. I am newly diagnosed but I have not had new hair growth in a couple months (I wasnt on any meds yet). I have not noticed hair loss from my scalp, yet. I dont understand how or why this disease has "really attacked" me soooo quickly. Last year at this time I was feeling great, I lost 50lbs last winter! I felt so much better and now since Dec all of this has started. I know now, looking back, Ive had an AI diagnoses and other symptoms yrs ago but I was never told they they were AI related...

Thank you for the link. At least I understand why.

Lori

Hi, I will tell you that I had lost all the hair on my legs, underarms on the top of my arms, and down south lol. I just kept thinking I was getting older, or it was from the hypothyroidism that I have, but then when I was dx with scleroderma, and started to read about it, it made sence. I will say since I have started on all the meds, (one year ago) I have seen hair growth again a little here, a little there, if you know what I mean. So you are not alone.
Susie

It was my rheumy who brought to my attention the lack of hair on my legs. He said this was a sign of poor circulation. Up until then I thought I was lucky!

In the 1970's, I was so hairy that I wondered if there was something wrong with my hormones. It was in 2002 that my autoimmune symptoms flared up really badly, and then it was somewhere between 2003 and 2005 that I noticed all the hair on my legs, forearms, and areolas was rapidly disappearing. The head (and unfortunately my chin!) seems spared, but the hair on my head has become like straw, whereas it used to be curly, shiny, and oily. I also have much much more white in my hair than my friends who are my age. In 2007 hypothyroidism was discovered, but treatment did not bring back the hair. I have never taken any of the usual immunosuppressant drugs used for scleroderma, so it's not that doing it.

At this point, my thighs look absolutely shaved. The hairs on my arms have become microscopically thin and very short. The hairs on my areolas have disappeared. The underarm and pubic hair is becoming scant. As for my lower legs, they, too look shaved except a for a very few stragglers on the very front of my shins. And those tend to be ingrown, and I have to scrape a bit at the overlying skin to release them from their coiled up sub-surface entrapment.

i had also stopped shaving my legs an my arms lost hair too, i have been on meds for a year and my hair on my arms has grown back and i have to shave my legs again, i guess this is good news!!

As a lady dont know to feel happy or sad for this hairy problem as visit to beauty salon not required now- but obviously the sad part is the loss of hair on my scalp! Dx with DS in Jan'11.

Count me in on this one too. First to go were the eyebrows, convenient at first since I didn't have to pluck anymore, but as the years have gone on, they are almost completely gone, so noticeable now that every doc I see says "have you had your thyroid checked?" (yes, always "borderline low" no treatment given). Only have very fine fuzz on my forearms now, and rarely need to shave legs or underarms.

My hairdresser keeps asking me what's going on with my hair. I always have areas of hair breakage, but it seems to be in a different place each time I go - a traveling, automatic layering cut!

Yes it goes along with the Scleroderma. At first i lost most all the hair on arms and other places, then when i went in remission later it came back but not as healthy or as much. I rarely ever shave under my arms anymore, no hair. My legs are sparce. My eyebrows have come back but are wild. They want to grow upwards. Carol

Soccerdiva, what meds were you taking when your hair began growing back?

Umm ? what does it mean if you have never had underarm or leg hair. not worried just curious. With my luck it will start growing, now.

I too have lost most of my body hair. But, this is funny - after knee surgery, I had to wash the wound with hibiclens (it's super-slippery soap that surgeons use in the OR). I started noticing my knee and the knuckles on my right wound-washing hand getting hairy. That was about 7 months ago and the hair on my knee is all but gone. However, I still have the hairy knuckles. That, coupled with my thick fingers, make my man hands embarrassing.

I too have lost "body" hair and no longer need to wax....even my brows!! Saves $$$ now I can spend that on meds.

I haven't been on meds the entire time since being diagnosed in 2001. I have plenty of leg and pubic hair, but not much underarm hair. Not really sure why!

I have no more underarm hair, still shave my calves, and my female eschutcheon is getting sparse. Eyebrows are thicker like an old man. Thankfully, I don't have hair nose or ear hair! I am hypothyroid on meds since age 13. I'm 67. I know from bathing my mother in the past we will lose all our hair. I'm getting close.

Check your big toes. If your skin has thickened any, but you don't have any hair there either.

Hi Lori,
Yes! Hair has totally stopped growing under my arms! I have also found out that the lymph nodes under my arms are enlarged (picked up from a PET scan after an abnormal CT I had of my lungs) and the cells are atypical (picked up from a needle biopsy I had done). Am having a surgical biopsy of a couplke of the nodes in early April. Do not expect there to be a problem and I refuse to obsess over what may never happen. Have enough challenges with the day to day from scleroderma, pulmonary hypertension and fibrosis.

Be well!

Marg

Hi Daisey Do I am on pennicilimine, 750mg a day. i know on this and other sited this med. has not been proven to work , although my doctor tells me the trials were not done long enough to show improvement , all her patience who are on pennicilime have had no organ involvment for 10 plus years now, and within the next 3 years there is going to be another trial for this drug coming out to prove this theory. we will see. I just feel my progression has slowed down and hair has grown back.

Soccerdiva, that is marvelous!!!

Hi,
I noticed a couple of years ago that my hair was thinning. I no longer have to shave under my arms or legs. The hair on my arms is thinning and there is no hair on my fingers. The pubic area has thinned to almost nothing. I had read this about scleroderma years ago so I wasn't that suprised. I've noticed a lot of hair in my hairbrush after brushing my hair, but it does not appear to be thinning on my head. As long as it is not a problem, I'm not going to worry about it. I really like not having to shave.
Kathy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Scleroderma Foundation

Help the Scleroderma Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Scleroderma Foundation

Discussion topics

From the Scleroderma Foundation

Community leaders