Cold Med and Long QT

My daughter and I both have Long QT syndrome and have been told to say away from anti-histamines and decongestants, but is there anything that we can take to alleviate cold symptoms? I've tried Afrin and Vicks vapor rub, I was not sure about the Afrin, but my daughter was so miserable we gave it a try. It didn't do much good anyway so we stopper after one try. The Vicks did little to help. We also did Saline nasal spray, which she did ok with. Any other ideas?

10 replies. Join the discussion

I've heard to try Mucinex (the expectorant only kind.......make sure not to get the kind with decongestents!). I've never tried it, but it could help with a stuffy nose. When I get a cold, I usually just do cough drops (even if I don't have a cough.....I just like the taste of coughdrops, lol) and use my neti pot (sinus pot.....same concept as nasal spray). How old is your daughter? Is she big enough to eat spicy foods? When my head is all stuffed up, I will eat spicy Mexican or Indian food, and that always seems to clear out my head. :)

We really like Mucinex D (maximum strength). There are also new cold medications called Coricidine (might not be spelled right) that say they are heart healthy. We tried a few of them this winter and they were pretty useless so we stuck with the Mucinex. I like the neti pot also. Tried it for the first time this year after asking the pharmacist what my options were since I was really congested and my nose was totally stuffed up and I was afraid I'd get a sinus infection. I've heard the same thing about spicy food, but I have also heard that it can be a trigger for arrythmias (particularly A Fib), so I would check with your doctor about that first. I just now googled it and there's lots of info out there about spicy food being a trigger. By the way, stay away from an antibiotic called Avelox (fluoroquinolone anti-microbial). Get to know your pharmacist and be sure that your medical condition is actually on your records with your pharmacy. One of my doctors prescribed Avelox to me. The doctor was aware of my heart condition, but apparently clueless. The pharmacy filled the prescription so it didn't even occur to me to question it. A couple days into the meds and I was feeling lots of palpitations so I googled Avelox and found out that it is a big no no for people with irregular heartbeats. I called my cardiologist and they said to stop taking it immediately. I then called my pharmacy to ask why they filled it knowing that I'm on beta blockers. The pharmacist said that if my medical condition had been in my records with them, they would definitely have "red-flagged" the prescription and not filled it without talking to me about the issue first.

drop a few honey eucalyptus cough drops in a hot cup of tea . this should help .
cathy from ma

Thanks all. I think mucinex will do the trick. My daughter is 11 yo. She's not quite the tea drinker, but I'll certainly try that. Neither of us likes spicy food. Her not at all, and I can take it a little spicy. (My husband likes to it food so hot he tears up.... how can anyone like that???? =;)) Thanks so much for your input
Amy

Not Mucinex D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the decongestant one, with pseudoephedrine in it..............people with LQTS can not take that. Make sure you get the expectorant only kind........it's the regular one in the blue box. Hope your daughter gets to feeling better soon!

Just wanted to touch base and let you know there is a website www.azcert.org that lists drugs to avoid for LQT patients. My son has CPVT and his doctor told me to refer to this list. When you go to this site on the left side of the screen click drug list and on the next screen click view complete list..I have given a copy of this to my pharmacist so she can double check any medication prescribed to my son and also help me pick the right over the counter drugs for him. Hope this helps and feel better soon :)

Josh has good advice. I ALWAYS check that list before taking any medication. I printed out a copy of it, and keep it in my car or my purse, so I have it with me wherever I go. Any pharmacist should be able to tell you what meds are safe, even the over the counter ones. Do you have an I-phone? I've heard there is an I-phone app that has this list. That would be even better than a printed list, since there are constantly update being made to the list.

Do they have the mucinex for children as young as 3? My daughter is 3 and has Long QT Syndrome and she has a cold. I have no idea what to give her. I know for allergies her cardiologist said to give her clariton. But for a cold I dont know.

When congestion is the issue (vs allergies where an antihistamine might help), the one safe and effective alternative I've found is to drink a lot of water. I don't know why, but cold water is best. Sometimes I have to drink several cups, but when I get enough, it opens me up in about 5 minutes.

Make sure you always check the list of med. To avoid!!!!! You should give her doctor a call. My son just to Nasanex for a cogh and stuff noise. It worked, and he has LQTS. But alway check with a doctor before giving anything to your child.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support SADS Foundation

Help The Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndromes Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to The Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndromes Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders