Has anyone had nerve damage? How long does it hurt? I need pain to stop!

I still can't find a doctor who can find out what's wrong with me. They all say it's this and it's that but no one can say for sure what it is. I am in a constant state of pain and my doctor just tries me on different medications which none of them work . I need to find a doctor somewhere who can help me. My days are just filled with pain and waiting until I can take more pain medication. It's not living. I have such bad pain in my left leg and they have told me it could be my spine which is fine. I do have a tarlov cyst at S2 but all of the neurosurgeons I have seen said that's not whats causing my pain. One of them told me that I have femoral nerve damage. She said it just needs to heal on its own. I have an MRI on Thursday of my hips. This will be my 3rd MRI. What if my problem is in my leg? No one seems to think so. I used to carry my son in his carseat all over the place when it started to hurt. This is going on too long!! 4 months!!
I just need to find out what's wrong so I can heal.

16 replies. Join the discussion

I was in the same boat. Along with a variety of other ailments I put up with, I had serious nerve pain that different doctors gave me different (non-working) meds for. My magic pill finally turned out to be Gabapentin, which can come in 300 up to 1200 mg. The first pill took away 95 % of the pain. Been onnit for three weeks now and still working. Good luck if you try it.

I am so sorry to hear that you have nerve pain too! It hurts so bad ! I am just suffering every day. What have they said about your nerve pain? They just told me that it needs to heal on its own. The MRI on Thursday will hopefully tell us whats going on. I am at the point that I hope they can just fix me with a surgery. They put me on the same med as you and it doesn't seem to be working. How long did it take for it to start working for you. The first day or week? I have been on it for a week now and still having to take my other pain meds every four hours. I am going to pain management next week and am hopeful that he can make the pain go away. My nerve pain just feels like a constant aching and sometimes burning feeling down the front and sides of my leg. It isn't always in the same place every day. It seems to jump around from hurting on one side and then the other side and the top of my thigh and sometimes all at once. What does yours feel like? I just want to know if anyone with nerve pain feels the same as me.

Louise,

Your tarlov cyst could very well be causing your leg pain. Mine did. Please go to the Tarlov Cyst Foundation website and start doing some research on them. They are hideous creatures that most doctors say don't cause pain. They can and do cause pain in some.

I hope you find some answers!!

Love, Hugs and Prayers,
Mary B

I am told I have femoral nerve damage after I had hip replacement surgery. I have no pain I am unable to extend my knee. They are telling me it take a long time to heal . My quad muscle is very weak also. Has any one had this condition ? I need some answers and I can not get any from anyone .

I damaged the sciatic nerve 2 years ago and still have pain. I think it happened when I didn't stretch before exercising. Pain radiates down my left leg and is worse if I must sit for extended periods of time or sometimes at night. I've used Vicodin for 1 1/2 years now, but after awhile it doesn't help. Now I am taking Naproxin and it is really working and the chiropractor gave me stretching exercises to loosen the sciatic nerve. There is no surgery that can releive that pain, but the good news is it usually goes away on its own. But everybody is different.

I, too, had trouble with my sciatic nerve about 4 years ago. It was so profound that I couldn't sit or stand. The doc prescribed a muscle relaxer and pain pills. It worked like a miracle and the pain has never been back. Now, for the past 6 months, I have been having problems with severe groin pain that sometimes affects my right hip. Not sure if it is the hip that is causing the pain or the sciatic nerve. The last two nights I have been plagued with severe pain in both of my legs that radiates up to the base of the spine. I thought perhaps I have stenosis, as my dad was diagnosed with it, but it seems to be more of a nerve pain - could it be a flare up of the sciatica again? I was recently laid off from my job and I sit for longer periods at home at the computer looking for work, but make sure I get up to move around every hour or so. My mom has polymyalgia and severe arthritis...and sometimes I think I may have inherited it. I am 55. Any ideas would be appreciated as I do not have medical insurance and can't afford a medical diagnosis right now. All I know is that I cannot face another sleepless night of the pain.

tlouise
Hi, I must say I agree with Mary who replied to you, I think it is the Tarlov cyst and really suggest you go to the site she recommended. We have all been by NS who tell us they don't cause pain, but believe those that have them they do. I hope it is not caused by this and wish you good luck.

Maggie

The Pain Management Center is your best bet for current treatment...hope you get a goood doctor there. Mine has done magic on my pain, and I take GABAPETIN, one thing they dont always tell you is to take 2 at night, as it helps sleeping pain. Good luck, I think you have "ridiculitis" which is a dopey name for a damaged nerve, probably from that car seat, that's how I got it, (sciatic type pain) and it just takes time to
heal, 90 days - a year. Pain mng will help you. Hang on. Ciao. Cute baby too! Ainslee Grace

My daughter says to research TMS and Dr. Sarno'swork. She is being treated for a few different syndromes, but it doesnt seem to be adding up-in both elbows, arms, wrists, hands, knees, ankles, feet.

In June I had surgery #4 on my lumbar spine by an excellent neurosurgeon. It was a decompression of nerves, discs and scar tissue from prior surgeries. I dealt with this pain for many years after my 3rd surgery, take a pill and get myself to work. This latest surgery ; 5 hour surgery and unfortunately I was left in more pain after the surgery than before the surgery. The large nerve running from my back down my right leg was crushed and he released the pressure. The reason for the pain after the surgery was that the nerve was crushed for so long that it needed to heal. He told me that many Neurosurgeons' believe that it will take the nerve a long time to heal, typically as long as the nerve was crushed (10 years), it will take that long (10 years) to heal. If your nerve is crushed, I reccomend getting the surgery over with so that you can begin the healing process. I can only hope and pray that what he said about healing time isn't true, but if it is, I still have 9 years, 10 months and 6 days before it heals.

Well, It has been over 10 years since my back surgery to remove nerve damage from the first surgery. I am still waiting ,waiting, waiting. But in my case these last 3 to 4 years have been the worst in the whole 10 years. I am getting worse week by week. Having newer symptoms every day. It is the new symptom that I hate.I have learned to handle and deal with the nerve pain until recently.The pressure under my left breast and around to my back is unreal. So "raw sore" feeling , can't be touched as it hurts so bad.
I have been taking Norco for the pain, but it helps very little. Im afraid I am going to get hooked on this drug.

Has anyone out there that has taken Gagapenten gained weight on it. I had taken it before years ago, but if memory serves me right, it didn't work, but have changed since then.

Am going to start a new Cold Laser Therapy next week on my back and under left breast. Am hoping this works as they have tried about everything else. Doctors have told me they have never seen such a bad case of nerve damage as I have, and they don't know what to do about it. They won't do a surgery and try again to remove more of the nerve damage. They tell me ,it would make it worse, so what to do,,have no idea...
Arlene

i would just like to know if you are still suffering from nerve pain and if you ever found out what was causing it. i was jsut reading some old journals that were posted and i wanted to know if your nerve pain has got any better since june.......i recently have nerve pain .......but it is due to some procedure that i had done to my legs which i regret ..........well hope to hear from you soon

Nerve pain is a terrible ever changing pain. i have been on 2 meds to help it when I had a bad sciatica flare. 1 was called lyrica, the other neurontin. The sciatic nerve seems to have healed now. i injured it in 2001 and it took about nine months for it to get better. Then in 2008 I again had the nerve pain, after a minor back injury, it manifested as a terrible stinging pain, liken to 1000 fireant bites and the pins and needles pain like when you plunge your hands into water after they are nearly frozen from being out in the cold. That is when they put me on lyrica and within 24 hours I had tremendous relief. I had to D/C the lyrica though because it messed with my bipolar disorder...pushed me into a very euphouric manic state. I sure hope you get some relief soon! Keep us posted and share what works for you.

Nerve pain is a terrible ever changing pain. i have been on 2 meds to help it when I had a bad sciatica flare. 1 was called lyrica, the other neurontin. The sciatic nerve seems to have healed now. i injured it in 2001 and it took about nine months for it to get better. Then in 2008 I again had the nerve pain, after a minor back injury, it manifested as a terrible stinging pain, liken to 1000 fireant bites and the pins and needles pain like when you plunge your hands into water after they are nearly frozen from being out in the cold. That is when they put me on lyrica and within 24 hours I had tremendous relief. I had to D/C the lyrica though because it messed with my bipolar disorder...pushed me into a very euphouric manic state. I sure hope you get some relief soon! Keep us posted and share what works for you.

Have anyone on this post start having this new pain just after operation's or epidural injections either to relieve a spinal problem or after having and epidural during child birth? I had surgery 2 years ago on my L3/L4, it was to be a laminectomy and discectomy. After the operation I also developed a tear in my spinal cord so they had to re-operate. After that the pain in my back became 100% worse, trying to make a long story short in the end I had come down with Arachnoiditis, Epidural Fibrosis, and Spondylosis. The one thing when I found out about these were that some had to due to excessive scarring and to have an operation to remove scarring is not advised. I read that one of ya's had the surgery to try and fix it and had a very bad outcome please do not try and have someone else try and open you up back there again it is totallly not recommended unless you want to be in pain for the rest of your life and loose the ability to walk, stand, your bladder and bowel functions and the list goes on. Anyone whom is looking towards surgery to fix a scarring issue please read up on this I had no choice when they reopened me they had to due to the spinal cord damage to try and repair it and just since then I need a scooter to get around or wheel chair to go shopping and I even fall off of that. I know how it is when you are in 24/7 pain on the scale of 9 and to just get to a 7 for me is terrific and to date is the best that I have felt and I have a very high tollerence towards pain. Operation on the spine is a very risky thing and doctor's do not emphasize the risks you are taking, when you do sign off on those papers of consent remember that you are signing away your life and your right if the doctor makes a mistake either a nick in your spinal cord or it tearing on just a rough part of your spine due to the fact it has become inflamed which is natural during an operation, then you have to worry about the meds that are put in while your on the table to control the inflammation if it gets into your spinal cord or blood gets in the damage it causes is ereversible (?) and will attack your body as with the Arachnoiditis. Please read up before getting any spinal surgery either if you are a 1st timer or a repeat customer and never get one to remove the scarring tissue it just adds more in the end.

Sorry for being long winded and possible not making sense, I am having a bad morning, I know what I want to say but it just isn't coming out right, also it will effect your eyesite and memory too.

Diane

Hello, I have nerve damage from chemo& surgery for breast cancer. I take 3000 mg of gabapentin, It help a lot. It been 5 years and still have it. I asked doctor how long i will have it he said all the rest of your life. Sorry i asked. love life,smile often, keep your head high everything looks great.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Join our Gaucher Disease Support Community today!

Things you can do

Support Genetic Alliance

Help Genetic Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Genetic Alliance

Join our PNET patient community today!

Join the Cushing's Disease Community on Inspire Today!

Discussion topics

Community leaders