Cramp Fasciculation Syndrome and Massages

I attend a pain management group once a week. The facility where my group is held has a therapy and meditation room. In the room they have a massage chair. This chair does everything. It can massage your body from head to toe, has varying degrees of pressure and different type of massage techniques ie: knuckles, fingertips, rollers,etc. I have use this chair twice, both with the same result. Initially I feel great afterward, but by later in the evening and throughout the night I am in misery from extreme muscle spasm and cramps. My guess is my muscle don't like being stimulated and massaged! I think I'll avoid that chair from now on!
Jupiterjane

12 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Jupiterjane
I'm not sure if you've got a definite diagnosis yet, is it muscle fasciculation? I hope you don't mind if i ask you some questions and share a little about myself as well.

I was interested in what you said about the massage you experienced.Something similar happened to me. Recently I had a massage in a vibrating chair. Like you I thought it was lovely and relaxing at the time. but like you it had a bad effect afterwards. I had really bad cramps, non stop writhing pains in my back and legs accompanied by sweating and small fevers, this continued for three weeks. It was awful! I spent quite a while in bed as there was also accompanying illness. It seemed to trigger off a flare of all my other illnesses as well.
I guess it was overstimulation of the muscles.

Maybe these chairs should carry a health warning!

I don't have a diagnosis of cramp fasciculation, I have Mixed conective tissue (RA, myositis,lupus like, scjorgen's syndrome) Behcet's disease, adrenal insufficiency, hypothyroidism, multiple food, chemical, heat, cold, chemical allergies and intolerances, and diverticular disease.
I'm wondering about cramp fasciculation, could this explain what I suffer from and what my doctor says is probably a side effect of prednisolone: He doesn't htink it's important, but the symptoms are very troublesome to me, and they sound a bit like what you experience. I have twitching in my eye constantly, plus these writhing muscle spasms, I have had them for years, long before I was diagnosed with any of these other illnesses, long before I took any medication. Always accompanied by sweating. The sweating makes me feel a bit better. But it's a very debilitating thing to have, I just can't do anything when this flares up except lie there and have these spasms!
Is this something similar to what you suffer from?

Hoping you can feel better soon!

zizi

Hi Zizi,
I have some of the same symptoms you have. I have constant fasciculations in my legs, feet ,toes, thighs, accompanied by spasms and cramps hourly. I also have muscle cramping in my stomach, chest, back, arms, hands ,fingers, jaw, lips and eyes. I also experience profuse sweating. I was hospitalize once when my diaphragm began cramping making it hard to breath and talk. Have you been tested for cramp fasciculation syndrome or Isaac Disease.
I think you are right about the chair it should carry a warning!
Jane

Hi zizi

Have you been to a neurologist. Probably a good idea and get an emg test.

Hi Jane

How have you been?

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'll mention to the consultant and set up an appointment. Hope you're both keeping well.

Zizi

IHi Zizi, Hi Makina,
I am feeling somewhat better. I was able to get a few precious hours of sleep last night! Zizi I forgot to tell you that I have been diagnosed with cramp Fasciculation Syndrome. I also have Parkinson's Disease, Type 2 Diabetes, High blood pressure, kidney disease, degenerative disc disease,and arthritis.Not to mention constant pain! My psychologist tells me I have depression and repressed anger! Gee! I wonder why?
Hope you both are doing well this morning!
Jane

Zizi,
The key diagnostic feature that your neurologist will need to see when he examines you is muscle fasciulation. This coupled with the sweats and a negative EMG/NCS for motor neuron disease will make the diagnosis of Isaac's syndrome or Cramp fasciculation syndrome. The stimulated EMG, where they stimulate the peripheral nerve to look for muscle afterdischarges on EMG is nice but not necessary if they see fasciculations. Try to stimulate fasciculations just before the appointment by exercising, using the chair, and whatever else you have noticed makes it worse (sleep deprivation, alcohol, inadequate fluid intake etc). If you can't stimulate them, try to videotape them to show him.
They can look like worms wiggling under the skin over the muscles or like small muscle twitches. Sometimes they can look like a bag of worms ("myokymia")

Dr David

Thank you, Dr David, I have noticed those wriggling movements under the skin on my arms from time to time. I don't get this all the time, I get it in bouts. Most of the time I'm suffering from the other illnesses I have. (Behcet's disease and Mixed connective tissue, RA muscle problems, lupus like symptoms schjorgen's interstitial lung disease, hypothyroid (now controlled) and adrenal insufficiency. ) I'm on corotisone, azathioprine, eltroxin, diphene, nexium, olmacor omega 3, ideos. The consultant has told me he thinks the spasms are related to the medications; but I shall ask him to do the test.
I remember having muscle spasms and cramps on and off during my life, long before I was diagnosed with auto immune issues and long before I took medications.

Many thanks,

Zizi

Hi Jane,

Hope you're feeling better and thanks for sharing. I had to smile about your psychologist's remarks! Sounds familiar!

I saw a lovely bumble bee somersaulting on a beautifully berried leaf today, it made me smile as well!

I've been doing mindfulness practice over the past year, it's helped a lot (to keep me away from psychotropics and psychologists!)
Ever tried it?

Keep well

Zizi

HI Zizi,
I have been having some very rough days with terrible spasms and cramps in my legs It is almost non stop! Getting very little sleep. See the neurologist on Wednesday, not that it will do any good.
Hope all is well for you!
Jane

Jupiterjane
You might want to read my reports about Botox in
Isaac Syndrome Word Chat Board. Botox does help.

Rick
Sydney Australia

Hi Jupiterjane
Here's hoping your appointment on Wed is fruitful, I'm sorry to hear about the night cramps. It must make it impossible to sleep. I was wondering if you find it all gets worse when trying to sleep or resting.
Just as well we found a site like this where at least we can tell each other what it's like and know we are understood. Thinking of you, and hope you feel more releived and relaxed tonight.

Zizi

Hi Jupiterjane
Here's hoping your appointment on Wed is fruitful, I'm sorry to hear about the night cramps. It must make it impossible to sleep. I was wondering if you find it all gets worse when trying to sleep or resting.
Just as well we found a site like this where at least we can tell each other what it's like and know we are understood. Thinking of you, and hope you feel more relieved and relaxed tonight. When I'm awake like that I sometimes spend the whole night listening to music on my I-Pod! A funny sort of drowzy, in and out of otherwordly sleep.

Zizi

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Join our Gaucher Disease Support Community today!

Things you can do

Support Genetic Alliance

Help Genetic Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Genetic Alliance

Join our PNET patient community today!

Join the Cushing's Disease Community on Inspire Today!

Discussion topics

Community leaders