Usual Interstitial Pneumonia-symptoms

Hi!
I am 35 years of age and have been diagnosed with UIP(July 2013).My medical tests revealed:
1)CECT CHEST AND HRCT CHEST-CT findings reveal interlobular septal thickening with scattered areas of honey combing seen in both the lung fields-UIP.Traction bronchiectasis seen on the right side.Small thin walled bullae seen in both the lungs.Mediastinal lymph nodes seen.
2) PFT COMPLETE-FVL:73%,DLCO(ml/min/mmHg) : 30
3) SIX MINUTE WALK TEST: %SpO2 MAX :96 ,MIN: 88

I earlier had milirial TB & pneumothorax rt lung in 2003. Now dr is saying it could have been UIP at that point of time itself ie, MTB was misdiagnosed.

Physical symptoms:
1) Breathlessness while climbing stair case.
2) Clubbing of nails of foot.
3)Mild chest pain on left side.

Can anybody throw more light on UIP symptoms?

Thanks

7 replies. Join the discussion

I experienced an excessive, consistent, unrelenting, and debilitating dry and unproductive cough, aggravated by exercise, humidity, and elevated ambient temperatures beginning in 2002. Some early coughing "spells" were so intense as to induce vomiting, particularly following my morning shower. Like you, I had protracted dyspnea, however no clubbing of fingers or toes, or chest pain. Following a conclusive diagnosis through open lung biopsy with pathology confirmed by Mayo in 2004; in January 2005, I elected to undergo stem cell treatment and therapy in Mexico which not only saved my life, but restored my quality of life to pre-symptomatic status. Today, I have no cough, no dyspnea, no symptoms of UIP or IPF while leading an active, fulfilling, and rewarding lifestyle. While I visited my doctor in Mexico every month in early 2005, I recovered to the point that I reduced my visits to every 60 then 90 then every 180 days as I continued my treatment. Today, I continue to visit my physician in Mexico once per year to maintain what we've accomplished.

But stem cell therapy is not scientifically proved.Moreover they say life expectancy post UIP diagnosis is 2-3 years.
Is this so....

There is, indeed, a mortality rate of 87% among diagnosed patients within three years of contraction of IPF / UIP. Statistically, there is a mortality rate of 50% among dual lung transplant recipients within the first year of transplant completion. I don't understand your comment concerning the scientific validation and reliability of stem cell therapy. The National Institute of Health in Atlanta has introduced nearly every conceivable condition and disease among mice and successfully treated the test groups with stem cells. I have witnessed stem cells cure individuals of muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, west nile virus, HIV, lupus, nearly every cancer imaginable and in my own case, IPF. I elected to go outside the United States for treatment because it will probably be another twenty years before the FDA approves naturopathic stem cell therapy, here. The pharmaceutical industry is fighting stem cell research tooth and nail. In case you haven't realized it, there is no money in cures. There is lots of money in treatments. Think about all the cancer "institutes" and hospitals in the US. Scientifically, the medical efficacy of corticosteroids and drugs like cyclophosphamide have never been "proven" to successfully treat UIP / IPF either. Pharmaceuticals treat symptoms. There has never been a drug invented by man that cured anyone of anything. Our own body's immune system and response mechanisms to threats are all we really have. Stem cells are active in the body pre-natally. Adult stem cells are dormant and have to be re-vitalized. Personally, it matters not to me what the official "scientific" community says or fails to say. I would have been dead eight years ago had I trusted in our FDA's sanctioned endorsements. Although it is completely natural to approach any treatment with a healthy skepticism, when informed death is imminent, we must carefully consider alternatives. On the other hand, we could just go with the statistics and ultimately become one. I chose a different path and am not suggesting it's the right one for you or anyone else. That is your decision. I am only pointing out alternatives. This is why I have never posted on this site, before. It is not my intention to debate, justify, criticize, or question anyone. Just sharing a little information that saved my life. My best to you and the more than 100,000 other unfortunate folks living in the US with this progressively debilitating and life robbing condition.

Thanks for the detailed and invaluable inputs.
Now, i shall also try to explore the same.

Ignore the life expectancies, there is no expiration date on your head! We are young, started out relatively healthy. There is no reason to think we won't be in the group of people that live 20+ years with this. Focus on making your life comfortable. And doing everything you can, while you can.

Bridgeport:

could you possibly provide a link for me to learn the what, where and ect. for the treatments?

The information you asked for:

Antonio Jose Calzada, MD
David Alfaro Siqueiros #2800-19
3er piso Plaza Siqueiros
Zona del Rio
Tijuana, B.C. 22320 Mexico

01152 664 634 2266 (International telephone number; from the US, one would dial this full sequence of numbers) Fax number is identical except the final two digits are 33 instead of 66.

US telephone number: 619-754-4885. This number is supposed to forward to Mexico, but sometimes does not work properly. If this happens, just dial the domestic Mexican or international number above.

The lady who answers the doctor's phone is "Sylvia". She speaks perfect english, as does the Doctor and nearly all of his staff. When she answers in spanish, just speak to her in english and she will respond in english. The doctor's office is on the third floor, and I generally figure on spending about $3500-$5000 for treatment the week. If you need any medicine to bring home, the pharmacy is on the first floor, behind "Al Natural". Both are owned by Fernando and his wife. The pharmacy gives a 30% discount to patients of Dr Calzada who pay with US dollars. Credit cards do not receive a discount and they do not accept personal checks.

I nearly always stay at the Lucerna Hotel, a 4 star resort only one block from the Doctor's office. It is a very easy walk or a $3 cab ride from the Lucerna. The hotel has a local shuttle which may be used when it is available. A new patient needs to spend one week with the Doctor. They will see the doctor every day, Monday - Friday. It is best to fly into San Diego on Sunday and spend Sunday through Thursday evening at the Lucerna. A new patient can make reservations by calling The Lucerna at 01152 664-633-3900. The staff speaks english and there is a bellman named Alonso who is a friend of mine who can help with questions or a shuttle from the San Diego airport to The Lucerna. Alanso's cell number is 01152 664-355-5242. The doctor's rate at The Lucerna is $90, or less, per night. I always stay in the tower section. Sometimes I have stayed at the Hacienda Inn which is next door to the Doctor's office. The Hacienda Inn is a national chain and like a Day's Inn in the US. It is clean, but more like a 3 star motel with outdoor room entry. The room rate is about the same as the doctor's rate at the Lucerna.

Another alternative is to stay at the Best Western in San Yasidro on the US side. They have a medical bus which goes over to the doctor's office everyday and brings patients back every afternoon. I just hate the whole border crossing activity everyday because sometimes it takes two or three hours getting back across the border into the US. 95% 0f this time is spent waiting in bumper to bumper traffic which ICE at the US border likes to maintain. If you stay at The Lucerna or The Hacienda you only have to cross the border once going over and once coming back. Going over is a breeze. Coming back is the problem. I would return from San Diego on Saturday morning because of the time difference and the length of the day Friday. I would stay in San Diego Friday night after getting the shuttle back from Tijuana. There are several private shuttles for hire ( about $70 each way) from the airport to the Lucerna. You must have a reservation though, before leaving your hometown.There are a number of shuttle services available and I'm sure if you goofle shuttles from the San Diego airport to Tijuana you will find many choices. Here's one of the many shuttles I have used: Jose at 01152-664-599-1491 and his email is  Valenzuela3377@gmail.com. Let Alanso make the arrangements for your return which should be in the afternoon on Friday. Alanso will keep your luggage after yo check out Friday morning until you are ready to catch the shuttle on Friday afternoon. Alanso is off on Mondays so you will want to speak to hime about return arrangements on Wednesday or Thursday.

On Sunday night, you want to eat dinner and fast from bedtime until you have your blood test (about $90) Monday morning aound 8:30 at Mexa Labortoria which is on the first floor of the doctor's office. This includes a CBC, urinalysis, and stool sample analysis. The owner of the lab is named "Manuel" and he is a very nice guy with great phlebotomists. After your blood draw, you can and should eat breakfast at "Al Natural", a great restaurant on the first floor of the doctor's building. They serve all healthy foods, and speak english. The doctor's office doesn't open until about 9:30 every morning, so you can go over to have your blood drawn about 9 am and still have a good breakfast before going up to the doctor's office. The other mornings you can eat at the hotel or come back to "Al Natural" which serves breakfast and lunch. 

There are several great restaurants within a $5 cab ride from the Lucerna like Seriavollo's and many many more, depending on your taste. I stay away from the tourist traps like Revolution Blvd. The area around the Lucerna and Hacienda is very safe. The doctor's office is right between the two You can eat from the street carts and walk around the area without fear. 

I hope this information helps and if you need anything else or I can answer any questions, please contact me.

This is just contact information that may save the life of a reader or two. I don't want to come off as promoting any specific treatment plan, any physician, any methodology, or any protocols. I am not. I have spoken with hundreds of individuals who have shared my condition. Of those who maintained contact and simply continued to follow their doctor's advice, most have passed on. I felt these were needless losses of human life. I can only speak for myself and those to whom I have been witness. Given my continued blessings and unexpected recovery, I feel a strong duty to share this miracle story in hope of helping someone else.

Dr. Calzada is not a promoter and does not maintain a website. His patients come from the US, Canada, and Europe. He previously had a surgery practice in San Diego until discovering what possible recoveries free of surgical intervention were possible across the border. He works by referral from current and prior patients and as one might imagine, he is extremely busy. His calendar is booked well into the future. He sees every single one of his patients every day that they are there and limits his patient load to seeing about 24 or 25 patients per week. Sylvia can tell you when the doctor has a week available if you would like to seek his help.

My wife and I are going to visit Doctor Calzada next week August 3-11 for our annual check-ups. If I can answer any questions before we leave, I will happy to do so. I won't be taking any calls August 3-11 since we'll be out of the country. You are more than welcome to leave a message on our home phone in Florida. And I'll call you back when I return.

Kindest regards,

Perry Walton aka: Bridgeport
352-391-9009 home
702-371-4111 cell 
Perrywalton@centurylink.net

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Help the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Discussion topics

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Care Center Network

Links and Resources from the PFF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation (PFF) would like to remind visitors and group members that information found in the PFF Support Community should not be considered a replacement for a consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the PFF.