Shortness of breath

Good morning everyone. Hope all are having a good day. Can anyone tell me if you can be short of breath and still have a normal oxygen reading. My last 2 hrct scans, when I was recently hospitalized, show my fibrosis has gotten much worse in both lungs. All of a sudden I seem to be sob more often.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!

hugs, heather

7 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Heather
I don't know the answer but since I had my biopsy I too have been more SOB. I just took my Sp02 and it was 98%. I go for consulation for Pulmonary Rehab today and I'll ask
Laura

Hi Heather
I aked my dr that question and he said that although your heart my be pumping blood hard enough to meet your body needs your brain requires more than it is getting. The brain has a separate measuring method for its needs. Or something along those lines.

Being short of breath is expected, 'cause it's a symptom of pulmonary fibrosis, but your doctor can evaluate you and decide if you need oxygen supplemental.

Probably you need a spyrometry test to see how good the lungs are working, and an Arterial blood gas study (Blood is drawn out of an artery, usually in the wrist, using a needle and syringe. The blood is then sent through an analyzer to measure the amount of oxygen gas dissolved in the blood. This result is called the arterial oxygen pressure (paO2), and is normally 80 to 100 mm Hg). This blood test is accurate and can tell if you need oxygen supplemental.

Don't wait too much heather, and talk with your doctor.

Thank you LaurCT.
Heather

Thank you. I think I know what he means. My ability to concentrate on certain days is way off.
Heather

Thank you SISORBIF. This is very helpful. I was wondering how I could be short of breath and still have normal readings. I was beginning to wonder if the sob was all in my head.
Heather

Just read how I was " wondering if the sob was all in my head." Made me lol. Not used to the abbreviations yet!!!! Who said we don't have a sense of humor?? h

Heather
Did anything trigger it?
How far can you walk? Are you only short of breathe when you move? Is it worse when you lie down?

Those are some of the questions my pulmo doctor did in my last visit at the end of August/2013. Because, like you, I'm short of breath. I was on that day with normal breathing tests..... BUT with shortness of breath, so I understand your frustration.

He didn't give me an answer to my question, just another app. on early October. lol

I think, and this is just a guessing... we get enough air into the lungs to produce good blood gases,(that's why the normal readings), but it takes so much work because the fibrosis, our lungs are becoming mild stiff, then we feel, short of breath, tired and chest hurts.

Blessings, and Keep moving Heather. That's the trick!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Help the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Discussion topics

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Care Center Network

Links and Resources from the PFF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation (PFF) would like to remind visitors and group members that information found in the PFF Support Community should not be considered a replacement for a consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the PFF.