Serrapeptase and Nattokinase

Anyone know the dosage for these two enzymes. How much of each to take?
Thanks,
Jerri

23 replies. Join the discussion

i am taking Serra Rx ( enteric coated serrapeptase) which is 80,000 SU's per cap and I take 2 caps twice a day.
AND Serracor-NK (enteric coated nattokinase & serrapeptase) which is 15,000 FU's per cap and I take 3 caps twice a day. II think they recommend you take a little more but it made me have the runs so this is where i settled in and felt comfortable.

There was someone who said they had done some research and had a brand that was comparable but less money but they never posted what it was. Some people think its bunk but I was stable at my last PFTs so I'm going to continue. I take other stuff too, so not sure whats doing what...just want it to keep on doing it.

Thanks for the information.
Jerri

I have not heard of either of these. What are they for?

They are enzymes that are used to treat fibroids. If you type them into "web MD" they come up for some other desease , treatment.
They market then at one web site for Polmonary fibrosis because of there good use for other fibroids.
I'm trying them. I talked it over with my lung dr. and she said she was not familiar with them but she had heard of them. They are enzymes and they she told me they wouldn't hurt me.
I got them at the health food store, and wasn't sure of the dosage. "CarlsbadDeb" gave me the dosage.
The Nattokinase is also a blood thinner, " IF" you take to much. I'm taking one pill 100mg. of it.
If you don't over due the Nattokinase, my dr told me will not hurt "ME".
Check with your dr. see if they heard of it, or can look into it for you.
I need to try things to see what works for me.
The medical community is not that familiar with our desease. That is why there is little research being done. We need to bring it up to them and make them aware, so maybe one of us will stunble upon something that will help all of us.
Jerri

I believe that I read, on the PFF site, that these enzymes were not recommended, since there have been no proven studies. They are not FDA approved, and are overpriced. I became excited when I first read about them.

It was me that mentioned cheaper options. They are available at any health food store as enteric coated serrapeptase. But I BELEIVE this stuff is junk and does not help. I hope you prove me wrong.

Carlsbad deb, please keep us appraised if you progress while on the regime. I was stable with the disea for 2.5 years with no treatment at all, it's just part of it.

Robert - Will do.

Eldee you are correct the PFF site does not and is not (like all of our Drs.) going to recommend ANY alternative meds because there haven't been any trials for "proof." I've been diagnosed with IPF ad told there are NO treatments and NO cure. I don't believe that...something in my body Turned This On in the last 2 years (because 2 yrs ago I had a chest xray and my lungs were clear) and I believe through diet, enzymes, specific nutritional supplements, detoxification, stemcell therapy and exercise I'm going to Turn It Off or at least Halt its progression.

As far as the enzymes go... I wasn't recommending a brand (I agree they are over priced) just answering a question with specifics about what I was taking.

It may not work but I'm certainly not going to sit on my hands and just wait to get worse. If it does get worse...then at least I'll be as healthy as possible for my double lung transplant.

CarlsbadDeb,
My feelings also. We don't know until we try.
Who stumbled across bread mold and made penicillin?

Hi all
I have been taking the enzymes, Neprinol and Serrapeptase since March 2012. I don't see any improvement but who knows. Maybe it would be worse w/o them. I take 4 Neprinol and 2 Serrapeptase, 3xday. I get them online from Southwest Neutra. They were the cheapest. It is produced by Arthur Andrews.
I have asked the companies for info about people who have had success but that info doesn't seem to be available. I know there are fabulous reports on the PivotalHealth website but don't think that is legitimate.
Hope someone has some success to report.

I take the systemic enzymes, serracor-nk and serra rx80 from Biomedic Labs, for $214.98 for enough to last 1 and 1/2 months. I took them for12 months 3, 3 times a day of the serracor-nk and 2, 3 times a day for 12 months and decreased to 1/3 less for the last 8 months. My tests (xrays) showed slight improvements twice and my breathing as well(after 12 months,breathing) so I'm staying on them. Biomedic Labs has a brochure from there vendor which tells a nice story. They do not represent a cure, but do represent an improvement and it did. I also take nac 600 3 times a day and vit d. What are the other nutritional supp and vitimins you take?

John Leavitt

I take a muti vitamin and vit d . That's about it.
Thanks for the info.

Super Omega-3 EPA/DHA (these are huge pills)
Lypo-Spheric Vit C 1,000 mg
Bio-Curcumin w/bioperine & bromelain 800 mg (x2)
D3-5000 IU (x2)
NAC Sustain 600 mg (x3)

Carlsbad Deb,

You should read some of the posts from the sarcoidosis support group on vitamin D issues...

There is also a nice post from a guy with lyme disease on his experience with calcium and vit D supplementation. Stargzz is his name.

Long story short, don't be so sure you are vit D deficient. Taking vit D with some of these conditions can actually be detrimental, it was an eye opener to me, especially since my doctor recommended calcium and vitamin D supplementation while on prednisone. Suggest you get tested for all the vitamin D metabolic types as well as thyroid levels TSH, T3 and T4 before too much supplementation.

Jleav,

Can you quantify "slight". Are you certain your results were outside of standard deviation on the equipment measurement and protocol of the PFT test. As for CTs every one is slightly different based on how much you breath and hold during the scan. I lost 25% capacity inside one month. If I take those Supplements and gain back 1% why would I spent that kind of money? It will not change my timeline ......only my wallet will be empty when it comes time to pay for a funeral. I read a medical report from online about a guy that died from taking too much serrapeptase, he was desperate and figured taking more would help him more. He overdosed on it. After 3 years I am still wanting to hear from someone that can say this product did what it claims....3 years ago I sourced the same junk for 25% of the cost.

Sorry I am a skeptic on this one..... Please prove me wrong....

I actually just did the Vit-D and Thyroid panel bloodwork today but I will go look for his posts. Thanks for the heads up!

Where did you source this product for 25% of the cost? I would like to know the vendor. I've never heard of anyone overdosing on systemic enzymes, please email me direct on this subject for I would be interested in a more direct, one on one discussion on this matter. I have used these enzymes for 1 year and 8 months and showed 3 improvements, however slight, I consider this a win. or call me at 616-8461808

John Leavitt

email johnjohnleavitt@yahoo.com

RobertPFF
I did the math on my Serrapeptase and Nattokinase
And mine comes out to $40.00 a month. I just started it, so we'll see,
But $40.00 a month is not that bad. I spend that at for junk food and sodas a month.
The Vitamin Shoppe on line, sells it. $16.99 for 90 Serraptase 40,000 units per pill , I take 2 pills 2x aday. The nattokinase is a bit more expensive, $29.99 for 60. But I only take 1 day of it.
Look up the 2 on "Web MD" they use them to treat other fibroids.
the vitamins shoppe sells "enteric coated capsules". Be sure you get capsules a hard milled pill may not digest like it should.
Also I was tested for Vitamin D deficiency Last September, and my Dr. put me on Vit D supplements.
Jerri

Jerri,

You should also read the posts on vitamin D deficiency to be sure you are in fact deficient. Standard tests look for D3 25 in the blood. However vit D3 1,25 can actually be higher than normal. Adding vit D3 25 can increase levels of D 1,25 to your detriment depending on what your medical condition is.

This is according to these posts, I haven't verified this to medical journals.

I had A blood test. My Dr. said she was surprised I had low Vit D. She put me on Supplements.
I'm assuming my DR knows whar she is talking about.

Serrapeptase is not the same as biomedic labs sells, theirs is a formula and includes serrapeptase, your right, serrapeptase on its own can be bought much cheaper. I've taken the serra-nk for one year, 3 pills, 3 times a day and serra rx80, 2 pills 3 times a day and then went to what i interprete a maintenance of 2 , 3 times a day and 1 rx80, 3times a day for 9 months. My xrays showed improvements twice( on fibroids, but slight) and the last one was the same. My breathing was also improved last time. I'm not sure what is helping, but i'm not quitting these pills. I also take nac600 3 times a day and 5000 iu's of vit d, once a day. Biomediclabs only represents that these enzymes will help, not heal. I think a blind study would take to long and cost to much, however, I think some company should or group should study these enzymes. I also play tennis 3 times a week and golf twice. I believe the excersise helps.

Jleav,

Thanks for the reply, glad its working for you. If you read what little information exists on thus stuff the ingredient is serrapeptase, there are a number of sites claiming their product is special....why not....it's marketing 101. There even exists an ongoing feud between offshoot manufacturing group of this product, each claiming more effectiveness. Why fight....umm great profits! Bottom line, neither has demonstrated any effectiveness. When a website says it can "eat away" fibrosis and testimonials claim full recovery I get suspicious is all.

For sure the exercise helps and I know NAC does. Best of all they are free.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Help the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Discussion topics

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Care Center Network

Links and Resources from the PFF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation (PFF) would like to remind visitors and group members that information found in the PFF Support Community should not be considered a replacement for a consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the PFF.