Oxymizer Pendant Use

A friend has suggested I try an Oxymizer Pendant as I am now on 8L continuous. This sounds like a really good way to conserve my liquid oxygen when I'm using the portable Stroller, but I've read that it is very noisy. Has anyone had experience with this device or the mustache style?
EllenM, 68, IPF, listed for Tx 8/12, PA

33 replies. Join the discussion

Remember Darth Vader? You will think you have become him! I quit wearing mine at night because it was so loud I couldnt sleep! (I am on 7 lpm). Then I got lazy about putting it back on during the day. Also a good idea to switch to a regular cannula for showering. The one upside was that I did recover a little quicker upon exertion - but not much. Looks for my thread on this subject - I think I called it "so now what?"

:-) Katrina

have been using it for over two months. seems to help my levels stay higher.
don't use it at night, to noisey.

I use mine ONLY during the day time and use the regular Cannula at night. It works well and does conserve Oxygen but it is noisy . I also use it when in the car on trips around town etc....

I use an Oxymizer full-time in the car...it allows me to turn my oxygen LPMs downward by 1-2 LPMs (without any drop in oxygen saturation) which gives me a little more time between switching tanks (I keep 4 E-tanks in a fixed rack) in and out of the car. I also use it when I'm in my workshop on our lower floor (I'm usually seated either drawing plans or using microtools for small woodworking projects) because it allows me to get my 6-7 LPMs while using a 5-LPM concentrator (which draws a good bit less electricity than my 10-LPM concentrator). Maybe I'm just a noisy person...but I never thought about it making a lot of noise until I read these posts....AND, because I don't want to whack it in half with a microtool, so I usually wear it under my shirt (which might help to muffle any sound).

Benjo, I had not thought of wearing the pendant under my shirt...neat idea...that may make it quieter. I am at 5.5 lPM and was told to use the Pendant and crank it down to 1.5 and that I would be receiving the same amount of oxygen...somehow? Who knows. . But I do wear it mainly in the car with the etanks in the back seat when I go to Birmingham from near the Dothan ( Enterprise) area each week. It cuts down on the amount of oxygen I need.

When you use the Oxymizer at a much lower flow rate, can you use your oximeter to verify your sats?

I use my oxygen sats to check every sort of device I try...AND, I don't know any way for the user to accurately check the transfer ratio anyway. That said, based on my own oxygen sat reactions, if I turn the concentrator to 3 LPM while using the Oxymiser (I have both the "mustache" and the "pendant") I seem to be getting the equivalent of approximately 5.5 LPMs of oxygen. And, while we're talking about it, I prefer the pendant (albeit it's a little heavier)...the mustache really gets in my way when trying to eat or drink (which has a terrible impact on my attempts to be merry)...and I find I can't even use it while doing my wood-projects because I can't put my small respirator mask over it (my cannulas work fine) to keep tiny wood-dust particles out of my respiratory system.

The pendant an only be used with continuous flow regulators. It cannot be used on a pulse unit, otherwise known as a conserving device. When I am not at home, I am on pulse.

I am glad so many of you are finding them helpful. I didnt.

Another question about this Oxymizer Pendant----My concentrator only goes to 6 LPM and I am at 5.5 ----and actually my concentrator only goes to 5.5 because if you turn it up to 6 the alarm sounds and the lights flash that means it is not producing oxygen. Here is my question ....if I understand the Pendant correctly---if I needed more oxygen than my concentrator can give ( 5.5)
and I used the Pendant as my cannula ----is there any formula ( or is it merely a guess) as to what number I should turn the concentrator down to? Also...using the Pendant like that would it be ok to hook it to the end of my 25 foot hose or should it be hooked directly to the concentrator water bottle ?

I promise to stop asking dumb questions soon.

At higher liter flows, the pendant doesnt help much in the whole "able to turn it down to a lower setting" thing. At least not in my case. It did help me recover faster on exertion however. That was at 7 lpm. My suggestion to you is that it is probably time to start looking into getting a 10 liter concentrator. With all the drama at your end getting equipment, I would suggest getting that started sooner rather than later, as the oxygen companies really dont like to give them out as they cost more. So they look for excuses to try to talk you out of one, hoping you will quit asking and go away. Dont let them bully you. But you will likely need a prescription from your doc to get the machine. That will also allow you into being able to bully them into providing it. Good luck.

Yes....I will get my GP Started on that next week. Maybe the boost in o2 will help me.

Based on PFT-tests and the 6-minute walk test, the doctor has changed my prescription 3 times over the past 4 years. The oxygen suppliers are required to provide equipment that will fulfill the requirements of your doctor's orders. All 3 of my prescriptions have had 2 components, i.e., one LPM-requirement while I'm "at rest" and another to meet my needs "upon exertion". The oxygen supplier has to be sure your equipment will provide for the higher LPM needed for exertion. For example, my prescription right now calls for me to use 4-6 LPM at rest and 8-10 LPM upon exertion. Maybe it would be helpful if you talked to your GP about re-checking to see if you need a higher LPM when you are exerting...if so, Medicare will see to it that your needs are met (I know because I had to call them when my supplier said they could not afford to purchase a 10-liter machine).

Benjo----I have the "pendant " on right now ....and the concentrator is on 5.5 ---I am guessing this equates to 7 or LPM -- I just believe that I am not getting enough oxygen and Lord knows I am a novice at this but I am smart enough to know that I can not go much further like this. -I have not been breathing well all evening...took my Prednisome and all other meds ---but just S.O.B, all day . And did not sleep last night ...got up and went to Wal Mart and shopped then to McD's for Breakfast. At some point, as tired as I am , I am sure I will just keel over, I honestly think my supplier is about to have to get off a 10 LPM machine from somewhere. And if I flunk the walk test on Thursday they will be getting me a portable for the car to make those trips to UAB and anywhere else I need to go. Thanks for your time.

Glad I read this about the Pendant ----I hooked it up briefly and then disconnected it....The water bottle will ruin them so disconnect the water if you use the Pendant with your concentrator.

Oxymizer Pendant
1. Do not use humidity with this device. It will ruin the pendant.
2. When you need to take a bath/shower, switch to a regular nasal cannula. Change back to the pendant when finished.
3. Change the pendant every 3-4 weeks (your home care company can help with this).
4. Stay away from open flames/smoking when in use.
5. Call your home care company with questions/concerns you may have.

I continued to use my water bottle with mine. My instructions just said it wasnt necessary but didnt forbid it outright. My sinuses just get too bloody without one, then they scab over and plug up my nose so I cant breathe. But i guess no biggie as I quit using it anyway.

Katrina...it is just like everything else I have encountered with this ...no rhyme or reason to anything. Some say this and others say nooooo I do know this ...when they brought the thing to me they said absolutely nothing. They were in too big of a hurry to begin their weekend. As a matter of fact the dignbat girl did not even say cut back on the concentrator level when using this...found that out after visiting the store the following week!

My oxygen company delivered mine, but I was told by my RT from Kaiser to wait to use it until she could come to my house to "titrate" it for me. She put an oximeter on my finger to monitor my sats while we adjusted my lpms up and down. She determined that even with the pendant on, my stats couldnt tolerate being down lower than 7 lpm. So we agreed to hope for faster recovery on exertion instead of lower liter flow. I did have a little bit of success with that, just not enough in my mind to justify all the hassle.

Thanks everyone for the discussion. I decided to order one pendent and one moustache style to try before I ask my o2 supplier for them. They have been wonderful about getting me liquid reservoirs for me house, work, and car as well as a 10L concentrator for my house and I've been promised one for my store. I also have a Stroller and think they may be getting me a second one. But their willingness to provide all this equipment is wearing thin. So I want to be sure before I ask for more "stuff.". I will have the pendant by mid week and will let you know how it works for me. I am on 8L, but I don't think that will be enough in the coming weeks. I started on o2 in April of this year and have been requiring more and more. I am praying the transplant call will come soon.

Ellen, Who is your supplier, mine acts like I should make do with no oxygen.

My supplier is absolute _(&^_(*^_*(^(_ and I am seriously thinking about a change. I think Medicare will let me because I moved since I began a relationship with the,....a new town ( and my old company is a regular Drug Store who does not make house calls, etc and I moved 50 miles away. Therefore, if I need something I have to drive 100 miles round trip to pick it up...does anyone else think that I should be able to find a better and CLOSER supplier?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Help the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Discussion topics

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Care Center Network

Links and Resources from the PFF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation (PFF) would like to remind visitors and group members that information found in the PFF Support Community should not be considered a replacement for a consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the PFF.