1001 things to do with old oxygen tubing

I hate to waste things, so wonder what people have found to do with old oxygen tubing. So far my list is:

1. Tie up branches that you have pruned (to be taken out with the trash)
2. Spool holders for thread
3. Point protector for small scissors
4. Stiffeners for tote bags (around the top, you can put sequins in them and decorate them too like an artsy friend of mine did)
5. Tie downs for various things in the car. Always nice to have on hand!

Has anyone else found good uses? My husband used oxygen and he neatly coiled up his old tubing -- I have more than a lifetime supply! I was really happy to find it worked well on branches, as it makes a soft on your hand carrier also and I never have good heavy twine on hand.

Judy

29 replies. Join the discussion

LOL at this. (1)Sterilize them and use for long drinking straws(2)Extensions for wasp spray can nozzle.(3)Bundle empty cylinders together to keep them from rolling around in the car. It seems there should be a recycle bin for the things as many as we use

I'm always losing those can nozzles, I will have to try that one. I tried it for wrapping gifts but it didn't work well at that. Also had a bright idea to put lights inside them for decorations but never found such tiny lights.

Judy

Thank God for your humor! It's what helps me the most. I do my best to keep a positive attitude, and this site helps so much. It's easy to get down, I go back and forth some days. But, a good laugh does more for me than my cabinet full of medicine! Since I have a problem with saving things, like boxes and bags, I have a whole new category with the tubing. I'll work on that!

Martha Stewart , are you there?

I've used old tubing to tie down the umbrella at the beach, tie my little floaty that carries my oxygen tank to me when in the water, as a spur of the moment leash for Charlie when having to stop for a quick potty break, as a clothesline in the hotel when I had to hand wash some items, tying up carpet remnants for the trash, and a few other things that my oxygen deprived mind cannot seem to bring to the forefront of my brain. Sigh.

Yea Peg!

That is really something about a floaty for your oxygen tank. That is a great idea in its own right. Perhaps we need a thread on how to maintain our lifestyle with oxygen issues.

I just got back from staking my butterfly bush with oxygen tubing. I left a length there as I plan on encouraging it to grow upright (HA!) by tying branches together.

Judy

When I talk to the vets they told me its good for bait for fishing
Since I don't fish I never tried it
The patients that live there go on monthly trips and take all their old extension tubing

Wow, bait. I never would have expected that, that would be much better than worms.

Grandkids were over and used my 50ft. line as a skipping rope!!

Problem was, I was on the other end!!

Keeep smiling. Always look on the bright side.

B.

You cracked me up Barrie!

Love the humor.

Barrie, I thought of that one too. LOL... guess great minds do think alike. I forgot that I keep one in the back of the car to use as a bungee cord or tie down. Works quite well to corral grocery bags and helps the hubmonster carry them in. : )

Will have to share this with my hubbie

Anodyne, I like this post, it keeps me thinking creatively. Lets see how long it gets (how many ideas)

today, I'm thinking you can use old tubing for a garden irrigation system. Dig them into your garden, right beside your petunias and hook them up to a water outlet at low pressure. Better than the garden hose rolling flat your prize rhodadendron (is that spelt correctly?).

God bless you.

LOL I always wondered when I threw away my used hose of what I could use it for, lol. I came up with nothing. Thanks everyone now I will be saving my hoses to use again! Recycle! Recycle! Recycle! If only I could use them for jewelry LOL

Love the idea of creating a watering system for pot plants, ( Rephrase ) watering system for container gardening, on the other hand
maybe pot plants would make me a lot happier, and as a byproduct I could create an "Oxygen Mohito" just mash the plants and stuff them in the liquid oxygen.

Man, would that ever make a trip out of the house interesting. LOL

Have a wonderfull day Keep smiling. Always look on the bright side of life.

Barrie

A new/old use from when I worked. Cut a piece the same length as your screwdriver shaft and slide it over the shaft. Now you have insulated screwdrivers. cut 2 pieces the same length as the handles on your small pliers, such as needle nose, and you have a sure grip handle, insulates this as well. Have a good day...... take care. :-)

I love this. It has always bothered me to throw the used tubing away. Actually it bothers me to throw most things away. Not so hard for my hubby though. lol No I'm not a real hoarder, but I am sentimental about things and who/where they came from. I hope we get some more suggestions. Wonder how they would be to tie tomatoes in the garden?

Does the tubing actually go over the handles? Do you heat it first.

Oxygen mohito sounds dandy!

Hi,loved your recycled suggestions.Why can't you use for jewellery,cut up into small pieces and put elastic cord through them,in between every piece of cord,put a bead or two or buttons.Can be used to tie things on your bicycle ,tie kitchen doors for little ones or big animals.
Keyrings,curtain tie backs with beads,bookmarks,if you use a walker as l do,you can use them with beads to mark your walker,with luggage name tags.

just a few suggestions,you are hilarious,love your sense of humor,l love to tease also.would love to hear from you

in my 6th year with IPF,"if it is to be,it is up to me"Right,right Take care one and all and for heavens sake drop me a line and give me your scoop.Hugs Barb,you are in my prayers

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Help the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation

Discussion topics

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Summit 2015

PFF Care Center Network

Links and Resources from the PFF

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation (PFF) would like to remind visitors and group members that information found in the PFF Support Community should not be considered a replacement for a consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the PFF.