Twin having Twins?

Is it possible for a twin to have twins.
I'm a twin my self and twins run very high in both side of the family
The midwife told me that, I could be having twins.
I'm awaiting the test results, until then I'm going crazy thinking about the thought that it could be possible. We already have a boy, now we want a GIRL and that's it

Someone please advice!

8 replies. Join the discussion

Absolutely you can have twins. I know b/c my mother-in-law is a twin, she also has twin brothers. Well her 2nd pregnancy she had twin boys.One of those being my husband. So yes you can. It's usually up to you wether or not you have twins, you're body has to produce two eggs or the single egg has to split. Well Good luck!!! They're twice the fun!!! :)

Actually I am a twin and thought too I might have twins. I was told that idenitcal twins are a fluke really and not something that can run in the family. Non identical twins can run in families but, the chances of twins having twins in very rare unless fertility drugs were used. I wouldn't get myself worked up over it. My sister and I are both expecting and neither of us are having twins. Several generations in our family have had them in a row but, never on of the twins having twins. Most of the others are not. So relax and don't count your eggs before they have hatched. LOL

It is a possibility in any family regardless of family history. It does however, pose a higher chance for those who are twins or have twins in their family. This doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to have a set of twins, just that you may be at a higher risk for conceiving them. I know what you mean about only wanting one more... I have a two year old boy now, and my husband and I wanted one more, a little girl to complete our family. Now I am pregnant with triplets... 1 fraternal and 2 identical. Twins run in my family, not triplets... Just prepare yourself and relax until you know for sure, there is no point stressing over something that is only a possibility. Good luck!

Im a twin as well and Im fraternal....I thought that once I got prego there would be a chance of twins as well but of course we are just expecting one , which is great seeing that its my first pregnancy..and i was also told that pregnancies actually skip generations. So my son would probably have a higher rate of expecting twins, unless your significant other is a twin

My friend is an identical twin and is expecting her 3rd child, and just found out from her 12 week ultrasound that she was expecting twins. She was in complete shock! He morning sickness was particularly pronounced this time around, which can probably be explained by this exciting news. She is nervous but will be fine. As long as they are healthy, she doesn't mind if they are boys or girls.

I am a twin (fraternal) i have a twin brother. my mom and her sister are 2 of surviing triplets. my birth mom had me and my brother and my auntie miscarried 2 twins from 2 different pregnancies. so it is possible. twins run on my bf's side as well. so i'm in for a treat when i do get pregnant the first time lol

there is a really high percentage of you having twins because it runs in the family. i have triplets and am expecting twins and i also have a singlton too! so ya

I have an identical twin sister and she has identical twin daughters. (No fertility drugs used) Her twins will be 4 years old this year. One of them has cerebral palsy and brain damage (due to lack of oxygen before birth) and requires a feeding tube, a trachea, and a ventilator. My sister is one of the best and strongest mothers I know. Her doctor told her it was very rare for twins to have twins. When she went in for her first ultrasound she said "My mom's greatest fear is I'll have twins!" and the ultrasound tech said "Well guess what? You are" Not only did my sis beat the odds by having twins as a twin, but she also had monoamniotic twins (another rare) which meant her daughters shared the same amniotic sac and the same placenta and because of this, cord entanglement and compression was a very high risk (this is how her daughter lost oxygen, their cords were tangled in a big huge mess)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders