Seizure AFTER birth!

Has anyone had this happen? I was induced, and about 1 hour after giving birth, and my doctor left thinking I was fine, I had a seizure! I had never had a seizure before.
After giving birth to my baby girl, they took her to another room, and brought in my dinner, I felt normal, was enjoying the dinner, had taken about 3 bites, and soon my right arm started to shake, I looked over at it, and I thought "oh it's the after birth shakes,, I guess its happening again, my father in law asked if I was okay, and I wanted to say "oh ya, I'm fine!" before I could utter the words my jaw locked, and the room was starting to go black, I heard everyone yelling, "oh my god get the doctor,,, nurse!! nurse!! ""Where's the call button!!" Then I thought I was gone. Later I woke, and I wasn't sure where I was, what happened, and when my husband stood over me, I thought, "aww, he's really cute, he's crying, he must really care.." It took me a few minutes to really gather my thoughts, and I didn't want to say "who are you" I knew I should know who this was. Everything was a little hazy afterwards. They asked me what an epidural was, and I knew I should know, but could not answer the question. My blood pressure was extremely high for a few months after having my daughter. I tried to take it easy. Then one day back to normal, I had always had excellent blood pressure until I got pregnant. Now I'm 4 months pregnant again,, I'm nervous this could happen again, or something worse. Has this happenend to anyone else?

2 replies. Join the discussion

did you have high blood pressure during your pregnancy?

Sounds like you had what they call a eclamptic seizure. You have all the signs of one. I think you might had been suffering from preeclampsia which is
a rapidly progressive condition characterized by high blood pressure and the presence of protein in the urine. Swelling, sudden weight gain, headaches and changes in vision are important symptoms; however, some women with rapidly advancing disease report few symptoms. And since you are expecting again I definitely think you should tell your doctor about your medical history so they can keep an eye on your pregnancy.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders