pregnant with IUD

I am pregnant with a confirmed IUD pregnancy. I plan to document it on this site since there is not a lot of support out there for women in my circumstance. I was scared and even the doctors did not know what to do at first. Eventually they tried to remove it but could not @ 7 weeks. (I found out i was pregnant @ 5 weeks.) I am now 12 weeks along. Everything is going ok right now. However, I am sick with this one and tired all the time. Totally different than my other pregnancies. (THis is my fourth pregnancy.) I am entering my most dangerous part of the pregnancy which gives me a 50%change to carry this child to term and not miscarry. The other risks are preterm labor. As far as I have been told there are no risks of birth defects. I have a doctor appt next week so I will write after that. To anyone else who has this experience. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

120 replies. Join the discussion

First of all congratulations!!I am curious did/do you have a Mirena or copper IUD? I have heard of more copper IUD pregnancies, with good outcomes. I have even heard of a baby born holding the IUD. I have a Mirena IUD and am begining to wonder myself. I haven't taken an HPT yet though.

i have the copper IUD, Paraguard. I had it almost 2 years to the day I found out I was pregnant. It was in the perfect position-the way it was supposed to be. My strings have gone up into my uterus so it can't be removed. The hope is that it will just move on the outside of the sac as the pregnancy continues and will be expelled in the afterbirth after delivery. If you are worried about being pregnant then please take a test ASAP. The risks of miscarriage are lessened if they can take the IUD out (although when they remove it, it can cause miscarriage right then). IF it is removed successfully then the chance of miscarriage is the same as that of any other pregnancy- 20%. I wish you luck.

Holy Cow! I didnt realize this happens... which I guess in my case I should expect a n y t h i n g to happen. Glad to know tho bc I just go tmy IUD in May. Crazy!

Had my doctor appt. Everything looks good so far. Heard baby's heartbeat. I am already showing because this is my fourth pregnancy. I have another dr appt in 6 weeks to have ultrasound. Still praying everything stays good.

After almost 5 months of pregnancy I am sorry to report that I lost the baby. I went in for my ultrasound to see if it was a boy or a girl and found out that I had miscarried in the last 24 hours. There was no heartbeat. Measurements were where they were supposed to be and I had felt baby move the night before so I knew that it had to be over night or that morning. I was one of the unlucky 50 %. I can't explain the pain we are in right now. I go in to have the baby on friday. They have to induce me and I will deliver, then we will bring baby home to bury it at the cemetary. It is all I can do to deal with the pain. Baby will be about the size of my hand. I hope no one else has to undergo this, I can't even explain. May God bless anyone else who is in this situation of pregnancy with IUD or who has lost a child. I wish you all the best.

I am sorry for your loss.

I am pregnant with an IUD embedded in my cervix. I was curious to know where your IUD was located, because I have no idea if I should be thinking that my baby is safer with the IUD in my cervix.

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your loss. You are correct there really is not alot of support for pregnancies with an IUD. I have gotten pregnant twice with an IUD, my first was a copper that was in place for three years. I miscarried. I had the cooper IUD removed and waited 18 months prior to having a Mirena placed. Most recently I had an ectopic pregnancy and lost my right tube. I had that IUD in place for 4 and a 1/2 years. It is possible to get pregnant with an IUD think very carefully prior to making the decison to using one.

Oh my goodness. I just had mine inserted 3 months ago. I don't think after this I will be able to trust any method of birth control. I got pregnant on oral BCP with my second. I tried Yaz after my second and this b/c gave me terrible anxiety/panic attacks that took me over a year to fully recover from. I figured nothing with hormones would work for me. They either didn't work or made me go looney tunes. Well I'm now 5 days late! Worried? Oh yes! Especially, since the midwife who inserted is acting like its no big deal despite my history of never being more than a day late since starting my cycles at age 11 and even after having each and every one of my 3 boys! I just had a baby 5 months ago. I'm not ready for another even if its that girl I've been wanting since after baby #1! Now I might have to worry about miscarriages and everything else.
Pray for me!

And I just wanted to say to Falconflock: I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I cried to think what position you're in right now. I hope I don't have to go through that. I am praying for you and hope the best for you from here on out. Please know that the girls who have posted here, at least me anyway, are here to support you. Don't be afraid to lean on us whatsoever!

my IUD was placed correctly. I would suggest talking to your provider about this question, and even then they might not know the answer. I was one of the 50% that lost their baby, but there is the other 50% that carries to full term. I wish you the best!!!

Hello. I had my Paragard IUD inserted about3 months ago. i had a period a few days after the instertion and then another a month later so I thought everything was going great. Well I am now almost 3 weeks late .I had a blood test when I was about 1 week late and it was negative. I also did numerous HPT that were negative. They told me to call if I haven't gotten my period in 4 weeks and they would do another blood test. My husband thinks I am paranoid but after reading all of these posts I can see it does happen.

I HOPE EVERYTHING GOES OK WITH YOUR PREGNANCY....THATS REALLY SCARY....I WAS GOING TO GET THE COPPER IUD BUT MY CERVIX IS TO narrow SO I HAVE TO GO TO A OB...IM REALLY SCARED AND THAT MAKES ME EVEN MORE SCARED THAT THERES SO MANY OF U GUYS THAT ARE PREGO OR HAVE BEEN PREGO WITH A IUD....

I am so sorry to hear about your lost:( I will pray for you and your family.

I have two kids and am 13 weeks pregnant with the copper iud inside. I am scared to death I have been bleeding/spotting since week 6 and thought I was out of danger now that I have entered my 2nd trimester. My doc doesnt tell me much just that we have to wait and see. I am wondering if your doc confirmed that you lost your baby due to the IUD? If so why would it affect it since the baby is in its own little sac.

Has anyone been pregnant with the IUD and delivered a healthy baby? Please share any stories.
Iam 13 weeks pregnant with the IUD and really want this baby.

I understand that you really want your baby. I was the same way. I am the kind of person who wants to know so I will tell you that the second trimester is the most dangerous time for an IUD baby. The loss rate is 50%. There was nothing wrong with my child. In most IUD losses they don't know why it happens. It just does. That doesn't mean that it will happen to you. I have heard of women who have had a healthy IUD baby. It happens so keep praying. When you make it past your 6th month, then the chance of a preterm labor is also higher. I found out all of this through my own research, my doctors did not know that much. I had to research it myself, and even had to request that they try to remove it. Your doctor may not know, or they may not want to scare you. Either way the best thing to do is ask questions. I will tell you all I know, which isn't much, but I will help you if i can. I wish you much peace and God's Blessing.

After reading through the blog again, I realized that I never wrote again after my loss. I had a little boy. We named him Augustine. A late term misscarriage delivery is different than that of a regular delivery. I had to have pills to make me dialate. That took over 24 hours. Delivery was different too. Contractions were not as intense and then when delivery was almost over the contraction got more intense and then it felt like a pop and baby came out half way. Then I pushed him all the way out. Babies that have died in the womb also look different. They are redder and for lack of a better word, kind of slimy. Depending on how far you carry, they look different. I carried to almost 5 months so the head was elongated still, but all the little fingers and toes were there. After the delivery it takes longer to deliver the placenta because your body was not ready to be delivered yet. I bled a lot (so much i was dizzy for about a week) They eventually gave me a D&C because the placenta tore and they had to get it out so I would not hemmorage. After all of this we held baby and loved him. We could not handle him that much because he was so fragile, but he was ok in a blanket and we took pictures and then wrapped him and put him in the casket. (They make special caskets for pre-term infants at the hospital we went to). We took him home for the night and then had the funeral the next day. He now lays by his great grandparents. This is the worst pain I have ever experienced and some days I can talk about him and other days I just want to cry. It is weird the things you think. Like looking in the back of the car and thinking, "There was gonna be 4 car seats instead of 3." Thoughts like this are common and seeing pregnant women is hard for a while. It is also hard when people ask you when you are due or ask if you found out what the baby is? But eventually you get to where you can sort of handle it. They don't know and maybe you can help someone else. I had many women who had experienced loss talk to me and it truly helped. Unless you have lost a child, you can not understand it. The loss is different than any other.

Falconflock thank you for your response, I can't imagine going through your loss, just reading it makes me cry. I hear of people being pregnant and deep inside I think to myself at least she doesnt have the IUD.

I have two kids already and picture life with my third one. They told me he is a little boy so he will be my little Alexander (I hope and dream)

I am going to change doc not only does he not explain much but every time I leave his office I feel awkward. I dont feel comfortable asking questions because when I do I get the vibe like I already got further than he expected so what else do I want.

I tried looking for information on my own but was not to successful. I am wondering if you had any problems in your first trimester. I have been bleeding/spotting since week 6 and now I have been feeling little cramps (I cant imagine that being good). My IUD was displaced and went to far into the cervix that's why they didn't even try removing it. Still last ultrasound I saw the baby and below the sac I saw the IUD with a minor bleed around the IUD.

i have had an IUD multiload inserted immediately after the birth of my son about 1 mth or so.i got pregnant with that after 1 yr .i sufferred too much .I kept on thinking that maybe the baby maybe born with some abnormalities god forbid.Then i decided to go for an abortion and just before my abortion time i had spontaneous abortion naturally.Oh i cannot forget that site .It still gives me goosebumps.that experience has changed my life and my relationship completely.i later even had a mirena inserted but everymonth i am still freaked out totally.With merina i donot get periods for 2-3 months and i have tender breasts.almost makes me feel that i maybe pregnant again.its now 1 yr and i still am undergoing the same agony of being paranoid about doing a pregnancy test.I feel much releived that i have atleast someone whom i can cry my heart out.Coz everytime i tell my husband about my fear he doesnt like kind of.thanks for ur support.

I am sorry I had not replied. I did not realize that others had placed entries. I had cramping in my first trimester, but no bleeding. My IUD was not at the bottom, but was pushed to the top as the sac grew. I was also extremely sick with morning sickness, which i never felt with my other children. At 5 months I had no symptoms of miscarriage. We just went to see the sex of the baby and they told me he had died in the past 24 hours.

I still have a hard time seeing pregant wemon in the store. I am happy for them that they are having a baby, but I am also jealous. It is a weird emotion. I know I will never nurse Augustine, hold him while he cries, or see him grow. I also have a hard time getting rest. I sleep, but I feel like I don't truely rest. Every morning I wake up and I make a decision to be happy today. I have three more blessings I have to be strong for and make their lives as good as possible. The loss has helped with my other children because I appreciate their precious lives and personalities more.

I can't imagine the pain and grief you and your family has gone through. I just read your story and I am beyond saddened for you.

I had an appointment today to have my ParaGard IUD removed. It has been giving me problems ever since I had it inserted July 2008. I decided to postpone the removal because I think a may be pregnant. My OB/GYN said that if I was to have it removed now and I am pregnant there is a good chance the procedure would terminate the pregnancy. My husband and I are praying that God's will be done. If I am preggers that is wonderful (son is 19 months old) but I don't want to get me hopes up. The 50% chance of miscarriage scares me. I can't imagine going through the pain and grief you have gone through.

May the Lord bless you and your family and to something remarkable for you after your loss.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders