MORTIFIED; c- section fears

Okay first off hello everyone!! Well I had an ultrasound like 2 days ago at 27 weeks 0 days and little Jordan is breech..I am so worried that he won't turn in time and I'm terrified of getting a c section, the whole experiance just sounds scary to me, Ive never had any major surgery and doesnt it take the whole birthing experiance away? My belly will never be the same and i hear its so much harder to lose the weight after a c section!! I hope he turns around. Does any one know of any other option for a breech baby other than a section? Or have any positive c section experiances? thanx everyone

16 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, I had a c- sec 7 weeks ago today I've lost a majority if not all my weight (I wasnot very big tho my son was an IUGR bub and was born 10 weeks early) I getting around fine a majority of the time if I do alot of bending walking or standing in a day I am pretty sore at the end of the day but I was up walking around ( very slowly) 2 days after my c-sec. Coughing sneezing and laughing isnot to bad now I can do those things without holding my tummy. So it's not all bad. All the best hope ur little guy turns, all the best

Thanks so much!! were you able to feel anything when they were doing the actual c section? I feel more relieved about the weight loss part but am still a little frightened.. Thanx so much for the advice!!

btflaji09,

Congratz on your pregnancy. Sorry, about the news on you might need an c-section because your little Jordan is breech.

Have to say I understand were you coming from with your situation. At the same time what nerve of these doctors/nurses/hospitals/etc to be tellin you and others this kind of stuff. Or doin what they do to you and others. Prefer to see you and others follow your own guts instead following someone else gut do it for you. By keep going this path and mean for the rest of your life now.

At the same time have no clue and really have not that much info on this. On the another hand have seen this topic for an threads in the past, but at the same time have forgotten what were my responses to them. Plus, check out the links that I provided in my profile.

Hope my recommendations do help you.

Good luck and etc.

I had severe pre eclampsia and my son was really stressed so was I so I was put to sleep while they did the c-sec but my cousin had a c-sec and said she didn't feel a thing.

I have had three successful C-sections after one not successful vaginal birth (my first son passed away after birthing complications). Yes, vaginal delivery is best as long as the baby's life is not at risk. If there is any chance of complications during the birth, please feel confident that a C-section does not diminish the experience of giving birth.

No, you do not feel the pain during the surgery. You do feel tugging and pulling...honestly it's kinda wierd but you feel your baby come out, you hear your baby cry and the doctors bring your baby to you to meet you. Unfortunately, my babies spent the first little while with their daddy as I recovered feeling in my legs. But now I have three of them for a lifetime!

C-sections are not what they used to be. Muscles aren't sliced through anymore, they are simply moved to the side--a lot less trauma to your body. I do have some numbness along my scar. I cannot deny that it is quite painful for the first week afterwards. There is pain medicine you can take even if you are breastfeeding.

Hold your healthy baby and it is all worth it!!!
Good luck!

Thank you all for your insights and experiences!! mybodmyself i will look into your profile for some links. I do want to look for other options other than a c section if there are any in the event baby doesnt turn at all, I mean women have been giving birth for centuries and I'm sure quite some time ago there were no c sections but i guess in this day and age they are becoming more popular/common, I just dont think that the doctors should rush so quickly to opt for c section unless mother and baby are in danger. But the other moms on this post made the thought of getting a c section a little easier on the mind, and a lot less scary for me so I thank you all for that but i'm still going to look into other options before deciding there are none at all. On the bright side they did tell me at 27 weeks he still has a great chance of turning before my due date. Thanx ladies!! : )

btflaji09,

Your welcome and its my pleasure to help you in any way that I can.

About a month before my mother gave birth do me, her father died. Because of the stress, I turned breech. By delivery, I had turned back around. There is definitely still hope that your baby will turn around.

Yes, vaginal birth is better on your body. After delivering my son (the one who passed away), I was torn wide open (literally, my intestines were showing). Although it took about nine months before I could sit on a hard surface, I did heal quite well. Honestly better than from my c-sections. With that said, I still do not regret getting my three c-sections. My children are my world and I am so glad they are able to stay in this world with me because of medical procedures available today.

Long ago, you are right there were not many c-sections. Many more woman and babies died in child birth than they do today. It was more common than we want to admit.

The other problem doctors face is the threat of lawsuits. Although there was no malpractice involved in my son's death, I could have easily sued the hospital and gotten a substantial sum of money. But why? They tried to save his life and did save my life. Unfortunately the easy lawsuits have created a much higher percentage of c-sections because of the doctor's fear of getting sued.

I do agree you should do some research. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. You might even consider finding some local mid-wives to get some other opinions, from a different philosophy. Also, do not hesitate getting opinions from other physicians. Even if you trust your physician, it is your right to get as many opinions as you feel is necessary to make the best choice for you and your baby. This is YOUR baby. Educate yourself and decide what is best for your family.

I just got released from the hospital yesterday after a C-Section on Sunday. I had to deliver my daughter 7 weeks early because I'm scheduled for Kidney Surgery on August 5th. This is my second pregnancy, my first C-Section. After the vaginal birth of my older daughter, I would not to that ever again (I won't go into details, but it was not a pleasant experience for baby).

I didn't feel a thing during the C-Section. It didn't take away from the birthing experience for me at all because my husband was at my side, and he got to annouce the sex of the baby (we didn't know) when she was born.

All the doctors, nurses, and staff were wonderful and talked us through everything along the way.

Don't worry - it is still early enough for your baby to turn into the correct position for natural birth.

Good luck to you!

Hey, I don't think it's any harder to loose weight after a c-sec. Pregnancy is what changes how your stomach looks not a c-sec. I've had both a natural delivery, and an emergency c-sec. The scar after the surgery is barely noticeable. To me the c-sec was very easy in comparison to the fist birth experience. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, the baby has some time to flip into position:)

27 weeks is still early and there is lots of time for the baby to turn. He will proably turn a few times before birth. Spinning babies dot com has lots of resources to help. One thing to reduce your chances of a c-section is choose an attendent who can not do c-sections, a midwife or family practice doctor. They will be with you and help you all they can and if need be refere you to an OB for a c-section.

You might read up on something called external aversion. It is where they grease up your belly on the outside with ky jelly, and then the doctor and a nurse will both work together to try to turn your baby around to a deliverable position.
I will warn you though, that there are some possibly dangerous side effects. Make sure you do all your research so you know every possible outcome when you consider this.
By the way, I have found that information is the best thing to prevent fear. I was scared to death with my first pregnancy, and pretty much did whatever they told me without question. After I had her, I started reading up on pregnancy and delivery. I learned what all the bad possible outcomes were, then when I had my youngest, there was no more fear, I knew what to expect from each turn of events. Watch a few videos of cesereans to see what happens, and reassure yourself that the mothers are not in any pain, and that they are not any less a mother just because their pain is in a different area when they have their baby. I assure you, that you will have just as much discomfort as the mothers with a vaginal delivery, and are just as strong of a woman as any other mother who gives birth the old fashioned way! Your pain will just happen in the days and weeks after delivery, and you are not less of a woman if you take pain medication when you need it, I am sure that most of the vaginal deliveries did!
I learned about the aversion by watching episodes of Birth Day on TLC. If you have cable, check out the educational channels to find some of those type shows and get educated! You won't regret it in the delivery room, I promise you.

Hi, I have had 3 c-sections. I had to have one with my twins because one was breech. I was terrified at first but I didn't feel a thing. I was up and moving around after the 2nd day. When I had my second and third c-section it was alot harder. I think you feel great after your first c-section, but if you have more than one the scar tissue makes it more difficult. I didn't feel anything on any of them while they were taking the baby. It's afterward when you will feel sore but it heals fairly quick. I hope this helps a little bit but I know nothing will really get you ready for it until you actually go through it yourself and realize it wasn't bad at all.

Do look into an inversion if the baby doesn't turn. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't (or the baby turns back to breech afterward). Either way, be sure to have a birth plan that EXPLICITLY lays out what you want in case of a c-section. My first ended up as a c-section and because I was so focused on having a vaginal delivery, I didn't have anything in my plan for a c-section. The doctor that was called in completely ignored me the entire time and my husband was so stressed out that he forgot to take pictures, so I really struggled with post-partum depression afterward. My second birth was an unsuccessful VBAC (the baby's head was too big and face up). This time, however, I had something in my birth plan...my husband and I made sure the doctor talked us through the delivery and a nurse was appointed to take pictures. My emotional recovery was 1000 times better. As for the physical recovery, there will be pain (as with any birth), but Advil and Percoset helped with that :-) You will have more restrictions after a c-section (no driving, cleaning, bending, etc. for several weeks) and it may be harder to breastfeed initially. As everyone else has said, knowledge is power, so read up and make sure you have the support you need to get the birth experience you want.

Thanx molly, I had my son october 21st. he was 10lbs 8 1/2 ounces i had a vaginal delivery thank goodness. no stitches!! it was a very easy labor

Good night I would have wanted a c-section with that birth weight.. but PRaise God you had a natural birth.. I had a c-section.. I was terrified especially being diabetic.. but I healed up great no infections or nothing had to go to the wound clinic to be cleaned & rebandaged but it was great.. ( i am very overweight ) but I had a friend that has at least 50lbs more over me & she was healthy as a horse.. she worked hard on a farm & had a c-section & she got infections & it was awful I Praise the Lord for such a nice recovery... so if it is a possibility again.. the recovery is only a pain because you can't do nothing... Best wishes to you & your family...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders