I don't remember how to do this

My daughter was born a month ago. It's been years since I've had a full term infant. She is sleeping all day and won't respond to a formula increase and from 5 to 8pm she's eating a crazy amount every 2_3 hrs. I have started rice cereal that only keeps her full for 4 hrs. And is compounding her constipation issues. I am out of ideas

2 replies. Join the discussion

I have a 20 month old and a 7 week old, from personal experience, your daughter has her days and nights mixed up. During the day you should try to stimulate her more. Easier said than done. I found that playing with the bottoms of their feet works best. With the formula and cereal issues, the guidelines are as follows:
Birth- 1 wk: 6-10 feedings 2-3oz
1 wk- 1 m: 7-8feedings 2-4oz
1-3 m: 5-6 feedings 4-5oz
3-6 m: 4-5 feedings 6-7 oz
My sons took different amounts and my youngest takes 7oz now and eats about 9 times a day. Each baby is different. Cereal usually doesn't start for 3 months, but you can feed a little cereal with 2 meals per day until her system gets use to it. For right now the best time sounds like her time period where she is her hungriest. The old saying still applies to babies today, a baby that is gaining weight is a healthy baby. I also have an answer for your daughter's constipation... If she gets fussy, can't sleep or rest comfortably, take a q-tip with a little petroleum jelly on the end of it and insert it a little bit into her rectum. This causes her to pass gas if there is any to be passed as well as causing her to have a bowel movement. If this issue persists, talk with your pediatrician, due to her possibly having an issue with not being able to have a normal bowel movement on her own. Hope this info helps you and good luck!

I have a 20 month old and a 7 week old, from personal experience, your daughter has her days and nights mixed up. During the day you should try to stimulate her more. Easier said than done. I found that playing with the bottoms of their feet works best. With the formula and cereal issues, the guidelines are as follows:
Birth- 1 wk: 6-10 feedings 2-3oz
1 wk- 1 m: 7-8feedings 2-4oz
1-3 m: 5-6 feedings 4-5oz
3-6 m: 4-5 feedings 6-7 oz
My sons took different amounts and my youngest takes 7oz now and eats about 9 times a day. Each baby is different. Cereal usually doesn't start for 3 months, but you can feed a little cereal with 2 meals per day until her system gets use to it. For right now the best time sounds like her time period where she is her hungriest. The old saying still applies to babies today, a baby that is gaining weight is a healthy baby. I also have an answer for your daughter's constipation... If she gets fussy, can't sleep or rest comfortably, take a q-tip with a little petroleum jelly on the end of it and insert it a little bit into her rectum. This causes her to pass gas if there is any to be passed as well as causing her to have a bowel movement. If this issue persists, talk with your pediatrician, due to her possibly having an issue with not being able to have a normal bowel movement on her own. Hope this info helps you and good luck!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders