He's 3!!! Update on Champ's Journey

I have been away for awhile because life has been so hectic. I woke up to check my email this morning and opened the one from Team Inspire. I am hoping to inspire someone with our story.

Champ was born on December 22, 2009 at 31 weeks and 1 day. His pre-term birth was due to placenta abruption and we are both blessed to be here today. There were no visual signs of a problem. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Champ's stay in the NICU was pretty uneventful. He didn't require the use of any monitors. He was just small and needed to feed. Champ was home by 35 weeks. I did not adjust, even though I should have. Here are some of his dates for his milestones:

Rolled over- 3 1/2 months
Eating Stage One Food- 4 months
Crawling- 6 months
Sitting unassisted- 8 months
Walking- three weeks before his first birthday
Sleeping through the night- 12 months
Talking- 2 years (about 50-60 words in vocabulary)
Potty Trained- started around 2 1/2, but struggled. He is now set.

He just went to the doctor's and he has been growing steady on his chart. When he was born, he was obviously less than 3 % for both height and weight and it was slow but steady in the beginning. Now he is 50% height and 75% weight.

Champ started pre-school on his third birthday. He goes 5 days a week and they are long days!!! He had some difficulty adjusting, but he is getting better. It was mainly due to separation anxiety and transitioning. His teachers report that he is doing better. There are about kids in his class.

When he was younger, I had a hard time enjoying his baby days because I spent the majority of that time wondering how his childhood would turn out. That was/ is not healthy. I spent all of my time on this forum desperate to hear from moms who had school aged and adult preemies. Please do not do that!!!! All of our angels are different and need us to be strong in every way. I still worry about how he will turn out but something tells me I would even if he was a term baby. He's a great little kid who loves life and I could learn a thing or two from him. And in case you are wondering, his real name is not Champ, his grandmother referred to him as Champion when he was born because he had done well. He is still a feisty little guy to this day!

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders