Diet for under-weight preemies

hello, m a mom of a 30-weeker preemie mom who is now 20 months old. her birth weight was 1 kg only, she was 6.5 kg few months back. All i wanna say z dat she has started gaining weight with my lotssss of experiments/suggestions/recommendation/surfing...
i want to share few tips for under-weight babies, i hope it will help....

1. As appetizer, plz give them PAPAYA firstly twice a day, then after ew days once in a week. give it as much as a size of half apple. it z very good for digestion as well. i've found that instead of giving babies gripe water and other stuff like medicines, it z quite ideal to boost their appetite. it help a lot while having colic issues.

2. i started giving her Dry fruits/nuts when she was about 14 months old (12 months adjusted). i get mix nuts in powder form and i add this powder in any of her food. mostly i add it in yogurt as she like it too much. i add half tea spoon of this nut powder in her food once in a day.

3. i had read somewhere that adding oil to baby food helps her to gain weight. i add either coconut/walnut/almond/olive or sunflower oil as i keep on changing (just because i start feeling that excess of anything is bad, then later switch to any other type of oil). as she doesn't eat cooked things mostly so it z quite a good idea to put a table spoon of any oil in her food which, u r sure, she could definitely finish. i add 1 tbs of oil in her milk mostly. also, i must mention here, iff u give baby olive oil it helps relief constipation, a common issue of babies.

4. my dietitian had strongly advised me to give my daughter one table spoon of peanut butter to my girl. firstly, i tried to give her with spoon. of course, she didn't like it and refused to eat. afterwards, upon one of my friend's advice, i started adding one table spoon of peanut butter in Banana shake, which i give her daily at night time. she like it in banana shake i feel, i also add 2 drops of honey in this shake.

5. as my daughter is a very tall and skinny girl & definitely needs fats, my pediatrician had advised me to give her cream cheese. i am giving her cream cheese with spoon, sometimes i give her solid cream cheese as a finger food, but just to make sure she has eaten dat, i prefer to give it with spoon. i give her one teaspoon daily.

6. i always add 1 or 2 tablespoons of rice cerelac in her milk. every time i give her milk, i add rice cerelac.

7. in the morning, the very first thing i give her is date shake. just take water (as much as u require to make formula for her one time feed), then add 2 dates in it, blend it together, then add milk powder in it. she likes it. it gives her plenty of calories. this z her favorite breakfast.

8. i give her avocado every o2nd day, i mash half avocado with half apple or pear. this puree is delicious as well nutritious for babies.

9. sometimes i also make pastes of following thing to give her with spoon as she doesn't swallow whole things yet
^Boiled rice
^Macroni/pasta
^fruits like banana/apple/pear etc

i'm also trying to give her mutton soup being healthy indeed, she z not liking it but i hope she will start eating after few days.
i have been giving her one half boiled egg since she was 10 months old.

any inquiry, mail me at madiha1111@hotmail.com
thnx!

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders