when is it safe to give a small amount of juice for constipation?

My son is nearly 3 months actual (1 month adjusted), and he's constipated :( I think it might be from the Prevacid combined with trying a new formula - the Enfamil A.R., which is working GREAT for his reflux, but has the unfortunate side effect of being constipating :(

Anyway, heard it was okay to give them a very small amount of prune or pear juice mixed with water to help the constipation, but not until 2 months old. Is that 2 months actual or adjusted? It's so frustrating having a preemie when these issues come up!

Also heard 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar in 1 oz water was safe. It's Saturday and I don't want to bug my doc for something minor like constipation on a weekend!

15 replies. Join the discussion

My son is constipated most of the time because of the prevacid, formula, and vitamins he is on. My doctor said that I could give him a 1/3 of a childrens glycerins. You can get them at any pharmacy. It usually works in about 1 hour. It also does not have to go through their stomachs so it doesn't make it hurt.

We were allowed to give Casey a small amount of pear juice mixed half and half with water at around 3 months adjusted. We gave him 1 ounce total and it was enough to do the trick. Is your baby getting iron fortified formula and vitamins with iron? You might want to ask your son's pediatrician if maybe he's getting too much iron? The way we do things is, if Casey gets 3 of his bottles from formula, we don't do the vitamins. If he gets less than 3 bottles of formula, we give the vitamins. (we're doing breastmilk and formula). Once we started doing things this way, we haven't had any more bouts of constipation. Always check with the ped before changing anything..just n case. I hope your lil guy feels better ASAP.

Well, I ended up simply 'helping it along' the next time I saw him straining and nothing coming of it except screaming. I used a q-tip smothered in vaseline and just barely inserted it a few times. By the third time it started flowing. Boy, that was a GIANT poo! If it had just come out in the diaper, it probably would have exploded! Or, a blow out as my friend refers to it!

Yes, we do take vitamins, and I often wonder if it's too much on top of the formula. He gets 1.8 mg in the formula, per 100 calories. He probably drinks about 400-450 calories per day, so that's about 7.2-8 mg of iron per day there, then about 5 more in the vitamin supplement. I have no idea how much iron a 10 lb baby is supposed to have, but he had really low hemocrite levels right before he left the hospital (had a few epogen shots), so I was advised to keep the vitamins going. His levels haven't been tested since we left (about 2 months ago), so I'll have to bring that up with the doc next appt and see if it's okay to stop supplementing.

Well, I ended up simply 'helping it along' the next time I saw him straining and nothing coming of it except screaming. I used a q-tip smothered in vaseline and just barely inserted it a few times. By the third time it started flowing. Boy, that was a GIANT poo! If it had just come out in the diaper, it probably would have exploded! Or, a blow out as my friend refers to it!

Yes, we do take vitamins, and I often wonder if it's too much on top of the formula. He gets 1.8 mg in the formula, per 100 calories. He probably drinks about 400-450 calories per day, so that's about 7.2-8 mg of iron per day there, then about 5 more in the vitamin supplement. I have no idea how much iron a 10 lb baby is supposed to have, but he had really low hemocrite levels right before he left the hospital (had a few epogen shots), so I was advised to keep the vitamins going. His levels haven't been tested since we left (about 2 months ago), so I'll have to bring that up with the doc next appt and see if it's okay to stop supplementing.

My son is 5 months 8 wks adjusted. My peditrition told me to try 1 oz apple juice and 1 oz water once a day. It did not help so he told me to do 1 oz apple-prune juice and 1 oz water. It helps but he still only goes once every 2-3 days. Good luck...Oh and sometimes a cold wet cotton ball on his rear end with a little pressure will help him too...

My son has been on Enfamil AR since he was 3 months actual age. He is now almost 7 months actual and 4 months adjusted. Our ped allowed us to start giving him 1 oz of juice when he was 5 months actual and then we bumped it up to 2 oz a day about two weeks later. I would call your ped and see what they have to say. Good luck!

Actually, I would give the doctor a call. Depending on your baby's condition, somethings might not be recommended.

The problem with adding juices/water to babies below 6 months (adjusted for preemies) is that the smaller the baby, the more it can disrupt the child's electrolyte balance.

So depending on your child's particular needs, your doctor may want you to try a certain course of action and avoid others (that might be OK for other children).

My doctor also recommended putting a half teaspoon of corn syrup into a bottle of formula or BM once a day. That worked for us. Good luck!

We started adding a little prune juice to Gracie's bottles as soon as she came home, in fact, Gracie never got it but I know that the NICU nurses used pear juice with some of the babies even in the hospital. While I would talk to your doctor before doing it, we gave her up to two oz. a day when she was really constipated. I was pumping and adding calories with formula at the time so we just added it to those bottles.

Gracie is almost two and I still give her some mixed with milk when she gets constipated even at 23 pounds, it only takes about two oz. of prune juice to do the trick.

We had problems when Ian went on formula from breast milk. He would poo every 3 days or so. His pediatrician informed up that formula fed babies go less that breast fed. And only every 3 days is normal.

I wouldn't give him prune juice, unless he's been eating solids and drinking juice already. You can make him really sick, and mess up the chemistry in his intestines. Not to mention, what if they are allergic?

I would ask your Ped the best thing for YOUR baby.

I agree, certainly consult your doctor about what is right for your child. Upon the advice of our dr., we started giving our daughter a little juice in her formula prior to her reaching 6 months adjusted, but I can't recall exactly when we started. We also often used corn syrup too.

Well, I called up and he suggested a teaspoon of prune juice in his bottle 3 times a day. It worked like a charm after the first day, but hasn't really worked since :( He's back to screaming after straining, and I had to help it along again this morning - a TON came out again. Poor baby :(

He also seems to have more gas, but maybe I'm just imagining it. He always has passed wind a lot since he came home. Any tips for that?

We use infant massage for the gas. It has been working really well! The follow up clinic at our nicu showed us some really great massages. As for constipation our ped. has told us since she first came home a half ounce of prune juice once or every other day, it works really well. Now that she has become more active and older she is doing better on her own.
best of luck to you and your little one!

Our son actually started getting prune juice mixed in with his formula in the NICU for constipation. It worked for a while but then stopped.

Our ped suggested substituting one feeding of formula with straight prune juice no more than once a day, which worked well but his reflux got worse and he spat it up, and stained some of his clothes. The ped then suggested 1/4 cap of Miralax in 2 oz of apple juice as needed, and it worked great.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Preemie links and resources

Narratives from the NICU -- Read the special report

Community leaders